1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building the ultimate 600cc tarckday bike

Discussion in 'General' started by backdraftmoto, Jan 22, 2005.

1. backdraftmoto

backdraftmoto I make Nissan trucks...

If someone said they wanted you to build the ultimate 600cc trackbike, what would you build? What brand, mods, parts, tires, brakes, bodywork, etc.? An AMA spec Formula Xtreme bike or maybe a suspersport bike?

A clean sheet of paper with just one phrase.. 'Ultimate 600cc Trackday Adventure'

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Do you want it to do anything other than trackdays?

From what I've seen the vast majority of trackday specific bikes are old racebikes that are no longer competitive and therefore cheaper than a brand new one. Having the newest best setup 600 for trackdays is a waste of cash.

That in mind, anything and everything is pretty much wide open and all will work well. Just buy a bike and use whatever is on it.

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

05 R6, marchesini wheels. ohlins forks. penske rear.

superbike motor.

HOO HAA!!!!

4. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

fzr400 frame with a raptor660 engine..........:D

5. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Any ex-World Supersport 600 with slicks:clap:

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Add the big bore 770 kit!!!!

7. backdraftmoto

Do you want it to do anything other than trackdays?

The initial project terms were discussed as a bike capable on track or street. I was thinking an AMA based FX motor, pipe, kit ECU, 17" wheels for tire selection, and suzuka style bodywork with working headlight and turn signals. Think of the RC211V that Doohan cruised around on with headlights. But it must run on pump gas, so that will be a limiting factor to how crazy we would get. Maybe a slipper clutch also.

There are no funds limits, and it will be a new bike with little miles. Brad's got the right idea. The sky is the limit....

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's easy then - call Graves, have Chuck build you a brand new R6 to his specs but keep the compression within the realm of premium pump and be done with it. Tell him you want an old school FUSA 600, he'll understand :D

9. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Spondon chassis, 700cc 4-valve Rotax, Ohlins, Marchesini.
    Or:
    Ducati Supermono

10. backdraftmoto

If it is chosen to be a GSXR600, then call who.. Chuck Warren @ Arclight or Keith Perry / John Ulrich @ M4 Emgo?

What about a CBR600RR, then who?

Or a ZX6R/6RR....?

11. backdraftmoto

Has to be a 600cc based chassis, buy off the floor. Not a home spun creation.

12. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

How about a Katana, those look really hot.:D

13. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with one of Troy Bakers 72HP 727kits. :D How much HP does the 770 Kit make? :)

14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Don't know, but I'd like to find out. :D

15. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

GSXR.....Kevin Hunt

CBR.....Dan Kyle

ZX6R....???

16. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

don't make me build anutha fzr400/tdm850 hybrid !!!!!:D :beer:

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

GSXR - Chuck Warren, Keith Perry, Barry McMahon, a couple of others that don't want phone calls but they know who they are :D

Honda - lots of peeps in Kali but I don't know many of them well enough.

Realistically - they can all build all of the bikes, Chuck was my choice because you can call him and have the entire package done at one place with all the bits made by them and drop shipped to you. There are a shitload of great builders in this country and no best one to choose - they're all good and can all build whatever you want. Ther issue is you deciding what you want first then moving on from there. Also keep Fred Renz on speed dial for Ti bits. He helped Kevin Rentzell get an old school ZX6R ridiculously light. We had to add so much weight one year for the NASB 600 class stuff that it was stupid (like 30 pounds) he originally built it to go chase TZ250's in our F2 class before we shut down Pro Series, amazing bike, probably the sweetest 600 I've ever seen.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah - ZX6R - Vic Fasola :D

Power in anything in any format you want - Lee Shierts.

See what I mean? Too many damned good tuners/builders/craftsmen.

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

RS125 frame crf450 engine!!!
    SV killa!!!

20. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the vibrations shake that little frame to death. I imagine if you used an early 90's frame it'd do a little better than than the newer ones. :)

Darrin, how much can you get an old Raptor motor for? I'm just a front end away from a rolling chassis. :D Everyone on Ebay wants $1500+ for one. :(