Sportsman Endurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Tracee Polcin, Jan 27, 2000.

1. wera122

wera122 Guest

I like the idea of keeping Solo 20's and having a couple of 2-hour endurance races. Trading a couple Solo 20's for a couple 2-hours sounds like it would make everyone happy. It seems like everyone here is on the right track and a consensus is needed. Some type of survey would do the trick, whether on-line or on paper. I agree with the 2 hour format, 1 or 2 riders, no mandatory pit stops and 3 classes. I would have the same problem mentioned in previous messages....getting a scorer and help in the pits since I travel to most tracks by myself. Could we start some type of scorer/pit volunteer pool where those who volunteer would get free entry to the track and lunch provided? I'd be willing to give up a purse and have my entry fees go to such a fund in order to get the extra track time and endurance experience. What to you guys think?

(I'm ducking, so fire away!) [​IMG]

2. wyldkat1

wyldkat1 Well-Known Member

I have been following this posting too and think it is a good idea. I was planning on running my bike in just the vintage classes but this endurance idea has really caught my eye...

I do agree though that running it with novice and expert racers may not be wise...the idea of me or another "newbie" panicking and causing a crash doesn't impress me much, although for the added track time i am willing to stay the hell out of the way!! [​IMG]

3. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I think that a regional 2-hr endurance on Saturdays is a great idea. Eliminate the solo stuff and you could even run (2) 2-hr events. Put the HW Superbikes/Superstocks with the MW Superbikes and superstocks in the first race and run the LW Superbikes/Superstocks/GP's in the second race. If we would start at 12:00, you'd get the second race over around 4-5pm.

As for the pit stops, I think that a mandatory stop is a good idea. It would be similar to the AMA team event they used to have. It adds a different type of strategy to the race.

We (Leaning Lizard Racing) and the other National Endurance teams would love the extra practice and it would give us a chance to try our pit stops and set-ups. It also gives us a chance to get to the regionals and race at tracks that aren't in the National Schedule such as Putnam, Carolina, etc. This 2-hr deal would bring a lot more entrants than the solo races which means more money and possibly more contingencies.

4. WERA

WERA Administrator

Only one flaw there - the number of entries even if we ran 2-2hrs would still be less than the Solo 20's, those things are usually very popular with huge grids...

5. EdRusnak

EdRusnak Guest

I am not a big fan of the 2 hour endurance idea.
    I am not comfortable letting others race on my bike and have no desire to ride someone else’s bike.
    Realistically, two hours is way to much for one person. You will be too tired to learn anything new after 45 minutes and if its hot, cold or raining outside, your view of endurance will change real quick.
    What novices need more than wholesale track time is to learn to keep their concentration up for the length of a sprint race.
    Solo 20’s are a far easier route for us old, fat guys and I go through to much tire doing them.
    If you really want to get the feel for what an endurance race is like, sign up for two solo 20’s in one day. When you are done with the first, keep your leathers on and do jumping jacks until first call of you second race. [​IMG]

6. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Good thinking! Sure glad somebody
    has the selfless broad view perspective of a good politician! [​IMG]

Although the number of classes and the time constraints don't figure out on paper... eventually the necessary track time will "trickle-down" to the vintage guys, eh?

"Well ah ain't much fer no fancy book lernin' en ah ain't a strong thinker but ah thinks it'll work."

7. bobby

bobby Guest

Shanon Huffman has got the plan.(Hint WERA)
    We are planning on edurance racing again this year but being on a tight budget with money and work, we are only going to make a hand full of races. Some 2-hr regional stuff would really open up our schedule as far as timing and traveling. We're there (959)

8. WERA_16

WERA_16 Guest

Okay let's all think about this one. If people want to run the solo 20's and the 2 hr's, it may be possible to do both. Run a solo 20 at the beginning, then a 2 hour, and the second solo, and cotinue on. However I do agree that it might be easier to combine the endurance classes simply because there is one person doing the timing on your bike specificaly, and not trying to time 4-5 other bikes. That's just to hectic.

Also the idea of having a lap timer getting fringe benefits (i.e free admission) etc. is a good idea. It would save me the problem of listening to my flavor of the month which I paid admission for crying about not having anything to do besides washing the bike between races. That's fuel money [​IMG]

9. wera122

wera122 Guest

Let's see what the HMFIC Wannabe has to say. Sean, have you received enough feedback yet to know which direction to head with this? Is it possible to keep the Solo 20's and run a 2-hour on the same weekend?

I think we need a Vintage endurance race with mandatory bathroom and Fritos stops! (with all due respect, Diesel)

10. wyldkat1

wyldkat1 Well-Known Member

Might as well add my two cents to the pot...

I think the 2 hour endurance would be kool...the added track time would be great!!

Let me know if this becomes reality...i'd do it [​IMG]

11. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

I'll chime in for the rookie contingent, the idea of 6, 8, 12, 24 (!) hour endurance races is kind of daunting. A short 2 hour would let us see if we have the appitite for that length of racing, without jumping in too deep and becoming exhausted and a hazard on the track.
    And there is always the track time...

James

12. WARPED63

WARPED63 Member

Sean, my vote is if we have to provide scorers and all to have a 2 hour race I would just as soon keep the solo 20. Better yet why don't we just make the solo 20's the solo 1 hour's that would give us ample track time and save many racers and WERA a lot of headaches.

13. WARPED63

WARPED63 Member

Sean, my vote is if we have to provide scorers and all to have a 2 hour race I would just as soon keep the solo 20. Better yet why don't we just make the solo 20's the solo 1 hour's that would give us ample track time and save many racers and WERA a lot of headaches.

14. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Obviously you feel not much is due, eh? [​IMG]

I am all for the 2 hour endurance race. There are, however, several issues that concern me.

First off, there was a suggestion to start the races at 12:00, how about scheduling for later in the afternoon to early evening? Come summertime the heat will take it's toll on the riders and the cooler evening temperatures may make things a little more bearable (as well as not threaten WERA's liability?). I was at Kershaw in July and saw what effect the heat had on everyone after only about 15 minutes on the track. I would hate to see what a racer is capable of after frying his/her brain for an extended period of time.

Secondly, this "2 hour" idea is not guaranteed to be a success therefore it should be scheduled around the existing Saturday format.

Lastly, I honestly would like to try a vintage endurance race. The question is, "where could we fit this into the schedule?". I certainly wouldn't mind running with the modern bikes but I'm not sure it would go over too well. At the GNF too many racers from the 0-500cc practice group complained that we were in the way... because they were getting passed in the turns by "frito-muchin'-pot-bellied" guys on 30 year old 350cc machines.

I guess it takes a bit of talent and fortitude to ride an old bike faster than it was ever designed to go. [​IMG]

15. wera122

wera122 Guest

Good point about the summer heat frying our brains Diesel. I wouldn't mind staying later for a cooler endurance run. FASTTRAX starts their 3 hour races on Satudays so they end right before dusk. I've been at NL in the blinding heat (literally, I had to pull in the pits to get the sweat out of my eyes) and wouldn't want to do that for 1 hour, let alone 2.

As far as vintage goes, I do have respect for you guys. I know there are some guys who can ride an older bike faster than my modern sporty-bike. I've been dusted by a few of them on the track before. I would have no problem sharing the track with vintage bikes as any track time is good time. Plus it makes me feel good to have someone to pass! [​IMG] I'll stop now before I get in trouble.

16. eddie

eddie Guest

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A 2 HR ENDURANCE RACE THAT I CAN ENTER ON MY OWN.I DON'T HAVE ANYBODY TO PARTNER WITH FOR THE ENDURANCE SERIES AND DON'T KNOW IF I'D ENJOY THE SERIES.THIS WOULD LET ME TRY IT BEFORE I GO LOOKING FOR A TEAMMATE.AS EVERYONE HAS BEEN SAYING TRACK TIME IS TRACK TIME.
    P.S.: I'M AN EX-VINTAGE 6 MAN AND DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM RACING WITH THE LESS APPRECIATED SERIES. DIESEL!!

17. Charlie has the best idea so far{1/31}.

18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

19. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

20. EDMUND400

EDMUND400 New Member

2 Hours is a long time to do a race alone. I did one on my VFR700 several years ago and had to refuel myself behind my tent because i had no pit crew. I did 66 laps.Ever seen gas boil on your engine covers? It will take a full pit crew to do a stop for fuel under National Endurance rules...as well as a scorer. That is alot of people to bring to the track on your average weekend. But, the cafe will make tons of money selling hot dogs to everyone. Seriously, I am in....now I need a ride! Calling Brian Roach!!!! Did you say backup bike? My old 400?