1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annie git yer gun!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by bigx1384, Sep 13, 2004.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

LMAO or maybe I should spell it out for you TCasby since you have a hard time with internet shorthand.
    LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off!;)

2. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I'm familiar with your type of internet shorthand. The 11 and 12 year olds on the Planetdoom message board I sometimes read use it all the time.

3. I've never resided in Switzerland for longer than a few weeks at a time. I lived next door. I have participated in shooting events in Switzerland, and my main shooting partner here in the US is my Swiss friend Sevi, who became an American citizen a few years ago but is still in the Swiss Army.

It's not just bicyclists carrying rifles. When there's a Schuetzenfest you'll see people on the trams and in restaurants with their firearms. It's pretty cool from my point of view. I recommend you stay away - you might get scared! :Poke:

So no, unlike you I am not parroting a website; I'm speaking from experience. I don't know what websites to point you to, because unlike you I didn't need to scour websites for this information. There might be something out there though - do you read German?

Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

No shit. I was wondering if you would eventually figure that out. Robert, you can't argue it both ways. Violence is a societal problem, not a "gun" problem. If you want to argue that it's the guns, and ban certain kinds, fine. But you can't then turn around and point to other, different societies and use them as benchmarks if you want to play the "it's the instrumentality" card.

Oh, and while I'm telling you what you can't do :p, knock it off with the "North American" crap. I'm not a North American, I'm a US Citizen. Don't try to lump me in with Canadians or Mexicans. North America is a geographic label, not a political or sociological structure. We, as a society, have a different view of firearms than Canadians. In addition - while US and Canadian societies have similarities, they are NOT THE SAME.

I notice you didn't attribute this, so I too am going to call B.S. on it. From which anti-gun website did you dig these "facts" up? And the crack about Mr. Heston is just plain ignorant.

This appears to be the personal opinion of one Marc Schaefer, author of the FAQ. That's nice. :rolleyes:

BTW, I hate cleaning guns too. It sucks. If I was rich, I'd pay someone to do it for me. And yeah, rifles are heavy; it sucks to carry them long distances. If I was rich, I'd hire a gun caddy.

Is that the best you can come up with? It was pretty lame.

You had to go all the way to Australia for that? :)

Robert, this is totally compatible with what I mentioned previously. Nice try, but it doesn't contradict anything I said. You'll have to do better (if you can).

Now you're trying to change the subject. I was addressing your error. You're throwing up a dodge. BTW, in case you didn't notice, the firearms that were banned by the "Assault Weapons" ban weren't M16s.

Well, you've got me there - all I have to say about that is this:

Linky for Robert

Enjoy! :D

4. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Does everyone here know that before her husband was shot he was an avid gun collector and was supposed to have a huge collection.

I don't know what ever happened to his collection.

What incorrect things do you have to say about it Casby?

5. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Actually, I always thought the assault rifle ban was pretty lame. While I don't really get the gun lust stuff, it's not really a major issue for me, except when some little kid accidentally blows away his friend.

6. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Hinckley was from Colorado and had undergone psychiatric evaluation after he was caught carrying a gun at Nashville airport where Jimmy Carter was campaigning.

Persons with a history of mental illness cannot legally obtain handguns in that state, but at the time Colorado law enforcment was denied access to mental health records for background checks. Why did Colorado not confiscate his guns is a damn good question.

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Guess we should keep car keys under lock and key considering the kid down the street went and ran over his mother a few years back.:rolleyes: :Poke:

8. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

There are plenty of gun laws on the books already. The problems come from a lack of enforcing the laws already in effect.

9. want2race

want2race Well-Known Member

That "Linky for Robert" was hilarious.

Nice set up too! Hey, if you ever need a gun caddy for that one, I'm game. (Just don't turn your back for too long.....)

10. IYFphoto

IYFphoto Ripper of fish lips

Killing people is a bad thing. Guns make it easy. And it is easy to blame guns...just like it is easy to blame TV for kids being stupid. Ya...don't blame parents:rolleyes:

All of this is proof that "you can not legislate morality." And last time I checked, it is usually criminals that commit crimes. And criminals don't obey the law...thus their name. So how is passing a law that makes the weapons unlawful to possess going to cut down on crime?

Unless you go and remove every gun from every person....you still have lots of guns in circulation.

I am so F'in sick of new guns laws and the BS surrounding it.

And yes...I have and like guns...

And guns are illegal in DC...unless you are the secret service or something like that...they need them...we don't...sure....right...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  11. Strick

Strick Good to be king

You should also.

It is not illegal to convert a firearm to full auto. Well before the ban was lifted you just needed a "pre-ban" firearm and you could legally make it full auto. You have to get a class III permit to do it but it is legal. You could even buy a full auto weapon if you can afford it.

12. Have you heard of FOPA '86? Apparently not. I don't mean to come across as arrogant, but I suggest you educate yourself before challenging me on the "gun issue." It is my area of expertise.

You have maybe one fact somewhat correct in here, the rest is wildly wrong.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's truly odd, I know where I can go and purchase a fully legal fully automatic weapon. Just find a Class III dealer.

14. Yep, something like you could buy a pre-ban "Assault Weapon" after 1994, it's possible - POSSIBLE - to buy a pre-ban machine gun, assuming you can jump through the hoops. It's not "just" finding a Class III-licensed dealer. That's the easy part.

HOWEVER, the 1994 "Assault Weapons" ban and the much earlier laws dealing with NFA weapons have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Other than AWB '94 and FOPA '86 both banned a specified class of firearms.

Anyway, even if you went to a Class III dealer, I'd put money (lots of money :) ) on you NOT being able to purchase one, even if you had the cash.

15. hardrock

hardrock Member

Why would you not be able to buy class III weapons if you can meet all the requirements and what you want is available?State laws not withstanding.

16. Because, state laws not withstanding, it's not the same as buying a non-NFA weapon.

In a nutshell (again ignoring state/local laws), if you meet the requirements for purchase of a non-NFA weapon, you cannot be denied. It's non-discretionary.

In order to buy an NFA weapon, even if you meet the requirements, you must get permission. Permission is discretionary; if the answer is "no," game over. There is no appeal, and the "no" doesn't have to be based on any reason.

Oh, and on that "available" thing - the pool of machine guns that can be purchased by civilians is finite - very finite. That's what happens when they get banned.

17. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Well I guess the couple of people I knew that had them were just lucky then. :rolleyes:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same for the couple dozen I went shooting with a few years ago. They were all just totally lucky - not. Still funny as hell though to show up to a fully auto party with a Ruger 1022 :D

Look S&S, you're far from the only expert on the subject (although to date you are the only self proclaimed one that espouses to know more thanyone else possibly could) and odd as it may seem to you there are people here who know the subject of how to legally obtain fully automatic weapons as well if not better than you do. I know a dealer and I know that given the cash I could get one, no problem. So if you know that I can't I'd suggest you say why because you're not coming up with much in the way of facts and the back pedaling isn't helping much.

As for the assauly ban, it's bullshit, always has been and has had absolutley no effect on the types of guns people could obtain legally or illegally. It will be nice to see if I can get a few banana clips for the 1022 though but other than that it's had no effect on anything real. That part isn't what we're tlaking about though, no disagreement with most of your posts on the subject.

19. Yup. As are the few I know who own full-auto firearms.

20. I know the procedure necessary to buy pre-ban machine gun quite well. What I'm saying is that YOU DON'T. Knowing a dealer doesn't get you a gun. Period.

Georgia is one of the 25 States that don't enact further restrictions over NFA '34 and FOPA '86, but that still doesn't mean that YOU can get one. You still have to get permission. If you do manage to get permission, what you'll find is that all of what you can buy is old, and most of it's worn-out junk. 1986 was quite a while ago. A lot of people on this board weren't even born then!