I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Has anyone been paying attention to the court decisions that could possibly do away with tax stamps on suppressors? Is it the 5th District?

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Are you referring to the proposed "Hearing Protection Act" from 2017, now re-submitted for 2023/24?
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/401

3. speedluvn

I wasn't aware it was a bill. Thanks for this info. I was informed by a shop owner this week that it was in the hands of judges "because of the usual suppressors aren't firearms discussions". I'm seeking more information on this topic.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Texas passed a law a few years back about made in Texas, stays in Texas to get around the idiocy of claiming anything that gets shipped across state lines gets swept up in the Commerce Clause that certain types use to get the gubmint involved with everything.

So if you live in Texas and buy a suppressor made in Texas, and keep that suppressor in Texas, then the NFA doesn't come into play.

The ATF sued Texas to block the law, in part also stating that suppressors aren't bearable arms and thus aren't protected from gubmint overreach by the 2nd. The fact that U.S. law states that yes, suppressors are firearms doesn't matter to the ATF. They decided to make up their own definitions and laws. Funny thing is, if they are stating that suppressors aren't firearms, that would mean the ATF has zero jurisdiction over them. Just like sound regulators for airguns.

Anyway, the judge did block the law on a technicality that "nobody could show harm". Texas has now filed an appeal, taking it to the 5th circuit. From there it will end up with The Supremes.

So could it possibly end up that suppressors are removed from the NFA? Maybe. If Texas wins, it will only mean that the Texas law stands, so only a W for Texans.
    Utah passed a similar law years ago, so if Texas wins I am sure Utah will immediately file a similar suit. That would be cool, I could buy more SilencerCo products without the extra unnecessary burden.

But it is not very likely to end up with changing the NFA.

5. Jedb

The bill, or different iterations of it, usually get submitted, but it rarely makes it out of committee.
    I believe the above link will have the best information on the most recent iteration.

My opinion: If the above becomes a law, it should supersede the ATF's guidelines, and allow for suppressors via 4473.
    I believe the ATF/DOJ may intercede & sue to block, if only to retain ATF's authority over NFA items as a whole (i.e. can't let Legislative Branch pick apart their domain).

Given that the first iteration of the Hearing Protection Act I was aware of was 2017, I'm not overly hopeful.

6. Jedb

Montana did the same thing as Texas, and almost the exact scenario played out.

7. speedluvn

Thanks for the details! I was unaware of the Texas (and other state) Suppressor agreements.

8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

You should be able to buy a suppressor with the same process as buying a mag or ammo.

9. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Remedied

brex and redtailracing like this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

C’s & B’s long gone out the window.

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Thanks for this. I remember hearing about the Texas thing years ago but wasn't sure what ever came of it and was not aware of the appeals and such going on now. This was a really good breakdown of the situation though.

I am hopeful (read: not optimistic, just hopeful) that a win here establishes some precedent to be followed at the federal level.

brex likes this.
  12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Coming from a ban state, nothing will really come of it. Even if ruled unconstitutional, plenty of paid shills with not much more of a hs education will somehow be magical constitutional scholars and tell everyone how the sc got it all wrong………even though in one of the recent cases, the Latina just us, who’s not overly enthusiastic about the second, even caught herself going over the history and purpose of the second and kind of cut herself off as she realized what she was saying……..if y’all listened or not. I know it gets long and drawn out …..and See: MD’s carry situation and HQL situation. “C’s”=checks. “B’s”=balances. Out the window.

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It’s “Breakfast and Bullets” morning for me and Denise. She just picked up her Staccato CS.

I went to the front desk to check in and they didn’t even ask my name.

She just said

“You’re on lane 9”

Do I shoot too much?

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Placed an order for this beauty yesterday. Praying for quick approvals as it's a 2 stamper and I am dying to have it in hand as soon as possible! I did get 49 hour approval on a Polonium K this past week so my hopes are high. Anyone have experience with the Aimpoint t2 vs the Acro? I like the boxy look of the Acro and it's about $600 cheaper.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    Sabre699 and Canadian Bacon like this.
  15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

nearly always in stock on gunbroker

17. speedluvn

Yeah for damn near double/triple the price :rolleyes:

Where have all the suppressors gone????

18. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

All the people that own NFA items have always known how many people wouldn’t get into that market because of the wait. And now they are jumping in with both feet. In the short term it sucks because inventory is way down and it will also drive up wait times. In the long term it is great for the sport

19. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

20. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Or maybe the same price