Hey Trainwreck / Kalamazoo peeps

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, May 9, 2024.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Any of you get damaged by the huri-nados the other day?

@Trainwreck

We had a pretty good blow (he he) and a 100yr old historic building/skating rink in Sister Lakes got hit by lightening and burned to the ground, but not to bad.

2. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Personally I am all OK. Same with all my property.

The FedEx building right across the street from my shop got ripped open like a beer can though. I am at my shop today, but upper management wants us all to leave, and return Monday. So I'm currently just powering down some of the CNC machines. It's wild that I can look right out the window in my lab and see that FedEx building just ripped apart. Bu there is literally no damage at all to us.

My wifes parents neighborhood got smashed up pretty hard too. Our main drag in Portage/Kalamazoo is a street called Westnedge. It got beat up pretty bad. Lots of debris, siding, windows, store fronts, big signs (like gas station signs) just pulled over. A trailer park in the area really took it hard. trailers literally ripped off their frames and smashed into other trailers. Incredible that no one was killed or seriously hurt.

I was outside grilling when the sirens went off and I thought "me.. shouldn't be bad" and continued to grill. Then my ears started popping a little bit, and I remembered that I now have a baby. lol So, I ran inside got like a weeks worth of supplies and got wife/baby into basement... We got some hail, but never lost power or anything.

Thanks for checking in!

Had my first "Tornado Day" from work yesterday, came back today, and now have "Tornado Days" for the rest of the week. Which is kinda cool. Getting paid to hang with my daughter without using any of my PTO. lol

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

"I just went in to use the shitter, when all of the sudden the wind picked up..."

[​IMG]

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I left a shitter in that condition before :D

YamahaRick and Trainwreck like this.
  5. ChemGuy

Dang. You were real close then. Glad you guys didnt get hit to hard.

Yeah our sirens went off and I of course went outside...It was quit and I didnt see much rotation anywhere. But we did start getting some big rain drops..so I knew there was some convection in the area. To be honest even if I saw one coming...I may not have gone down to the basement...you ever one of those weeks...:D

A beeb guy up in Paw Paw are said he got some hail and wind.

Hard to believe no one was killed up there from the pics. Enjoy the free days off. :beer:

Gino230 likes this.
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I could so have been a storm chaser… it’s been over 20 years now since I’ve had a giant door of a building ripped out of my hands but it was exciting for sure… I’ve told the story on here somewhere… no idea where but a few of us told tornado stories and it was good stuff

7. 969

969 Well-Known Member

Paw Paw beeb guy here, I do soils and materials testing. I worked at the fed ex building from balancing the site to testing the pavement. We sub out the weld inspections tho. Gad every one got out safe, from the pics I saw the warehouse took the most damage. The roof came off where the offices ended.

Jon Wilkens and ChemGuy like this.
  8. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

A tornado tore through my former hometown in 1980. The pool hall had the roof ripped off, and the jukebox yanked out through the hole and smashed into a field several hundred yards away. None of the tables were disturbed other that a surprisingly small amount of debris.

I heard that the preacher at the Baptist church was adamant the Gawd had sent the tornado to rid the town of the Devil's Music. :crackup:

10. ChemGuy

Which one was the Devils music, Country or Western?

Boman Forklift and auminer like this.
  11. 969

969 Well-Known Member

My dad has good memories of the skating rink, from the 60's

ChemGuy likes this.
  12. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Both kinds.

skidooboy likes this.
  13. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Glad no one was killed. I went to WMU and wound up staying in the area for 15 years.

14. ChemGuy

My cousins and I went there in the late 70's thru the 80's, when the old man would drive us up there. He made it seem like going to the moon and it was like 10 miles away.

Now it will probably become a vegan crystal shop and hookah lounge or something.

If any of you retirement age guys want something to do...the local drive in movie place is for sale. The family running it says there is a family issue and they arent opening this summer. Not many Drive-in left. You'd only have to work a a few nights a week running movies and popcorn.
    Who needs a tax break business?

@auminer
    @motion
    @JBraun
    @Gino230

https://www.remax.com/mi/dowagiac/h...-49047/4017340379822618174/M00000329/23136863

[​IMG]

Gino230 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

dang...I grew up in Lawrence! I heard it was pretty close.

Skated at Ostemo roller rink a ton, never went to the Sister Lakes rink.

16. 969

969 Well-Known Member

Oshtemo rink is still open, closed down during the plandemic for while, go by there everyday.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  17. 969

969 Well-Known Member

Probably gonna be weed shop

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Tempting... if it wasn't in Michoacan. :crackup:

ChemGuy likes this.
  19. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo Air Zoo is a great place to visit to see their SR71. Gilmore classic car museum is another must see.

ChemGuy likes this.
  20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Ditto for the Gilmore.....the Barber of car collections.....Maybe Barber is the Gilmore of bike collections? :confused: