ZX10R stack height

Discussion in 'Tech' started by moto316, Aug 29, 2018.

1. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Hmm, ok. Do you soak your fiber plates in oil for several hours/days before installation? Are they dry after you take it apart to inspect? It's been about 4 weeks since my bikes been ran so I'm not sure whether the dryness of the plates is to be expected or not.

2. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I put the clutch plates in dry.

I’ve never seen a clutch come out dry. Maybe check all the oil holes in the inner hub and make sure they aren’t blocked up (never seen that but I guess it is possible if you get some clutch material in there).

Have you replaced the pressure plate springs? Those will fatigue and need to be replaced periodically.

3. moto316

Yea springs only have two weekends on them since being replaced. I’ll double check those passages.

Do you use the old dimpled version of the steel plates (oem on the gen1 I believe) I heard they help with keeping oil in the clutch pack.

4. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I have used the dimpled steels in the past but didn’t see any big differences in terms of wear.

moto316 likes this.
  5. moto316

I removed the entire clutch assembly again and took out the needle bearing and bushing that the basket rides on. Spun up the oil pump with a drill and the oil flows out of the one oil feed hole on the input shaft just fine it seems like. The two holes on the bushing are clear as well. I don’t see how this oil passage would lubricate the stack, just the needle bearing. It seems like the stack would just get lubricated by the splashing of the oil off of the exposed crank and rod. I’ll check it again during this race weekend to see if the stack seems dry again.