1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Also snagged this over the last week. Dude wanted to build a m4a1-ish clone like he had overseas. Colt 14.5” m4 upper with fsb and p&w surefire 3 prong which was perfect since I have a surefire can. Knights rail (non-ff unfortunately but will probably fix that one day) and knights broomstick. Said he had that carry handle so I talked him into replacing the plastic mbus rear sight with the handle. Sitting on a sons of liberty complete lower. Picked it up for $800. So I’m swapping all the lower parts from the SOLGW lower over to the Magpul forged lower that I scavenged from a LE S&W/Magpul trade in. The original parts from the magpul lower are going into a spare aero I had laying around to resell the that S&W as a complete rifle and recoup some of what I spent. Also throwing an A2 grip on the Magpul lower for the m4 build. Just feels more appropriate, even though A2s suck balls.

next will probably be some sort of old school carry handle mounted aimpoint and, if I can find it, one of those old chonky ass surefire wmls. Then I’ll call it good.

I think I have a problem with guns. :crackup:
    IMG_0015.jpeg

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

After another delay, picked up the Live Free Armory Apollo 11 Commander. Hope it works. The bag might be the best thing about it. I'd rather have more than 1 mag instead of a 'nicer' bag though. I bought 3 more...So i have at least 4 now which was another $150 for the 3 extras.

apollo.jpg apollo3.jpg apollo2.jpg apollo4.jpg

StaccatoFan and RonR like this.
  3. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

That barrel is CHUNK 'O LICIOUS

sanee likes this.
  4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Yeah dude, them 2011s all have a fatty tucked up in ‘em.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. gapman789

Well hell...Shot the Apollo 11 compact for the first time today and Im not impressed. Failure city.

(4) different ammo's....(4) Live Free Armory/Checkmate 17 rd mags.

Maxxtech 124 - (24) light primer strikes/150 rds, with (3) FTF - 18% failure rate

Remington UMC 124 - (6) light primer strikes/100 rds - 6% failure

Blazer 115 - (1) light primer strike/50 rds - 2% failure

And here's the shit that I don't get:

Remington/UMC 115 - 0 failures/100 rds

After a light primer strike, I drop the mag and clear the chamber. Is it normal for the mag to have a round situated like this in the mag?

Of my 5 other handguns and 1000-2000 rds in each, not a single failure. So this really surprises me. Especially since the Apollo costs nearly twice as much as my most expensive handgun that I have. lol.

apollo light primer strikes.jpg

apollo maxxtech 124 ftf.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I don't recall ever having any failures on my 2011s. Sometimes the last round lock back doesn't happen, but that is more than likely my thumb resting on the slide release.
    Other than that(which is my fault)..the reliability I've experienced has been absolutely perfect.

No..that's not normal. I just watched an Honest Outlaw review on the Toob on this gun and he doesn't seem to have any issues like you're seeing.
    Maybe you buy some Staccato Gen 2 magazines and try those on that gun? Outlaw used those and some of his Atlas mags in his review shooting.

Kinda nice looking gun though. Welcome to the 2011 addiction....it will only get worse. I'm eyeballing the Atlas Athena...that Goddess of Love is calling to me.

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Nice looking piece. I haven’t heard much about them but from what I’ve seen the prices are reasonable for a 2011. Light primer strikes are most likely a hammer spring issue. People like to lighten that spring up for a smoother cycle but it can get too light and create problems. Failure to feed can be a few different issues. Best to send it to the manufacturer and let them sort it out. My Kimber is a picky gun as far as ammo. My government issue eats anything. Once your gun is repaired I’m sure it’ll be great.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My STI Edge was finicky as hell at first. FTF, FTE. I finally sent it in for warranty service and they tweaked the feed ramp. No problems since.

My advice: go ahead and send it in with a description of the issue with each ammo. They'll fix it.

I sent in the mags and I seem to recall sending in the ammo as well, but that sounds odd in hindsight.

I was shooting USPSA at the time and picked up a Glock 34 to hold me over. Honestly, that was almost as good as the STI. My son ended up using it as his primary USPSA gun at the ripe old age af 13.

9. Well today I picked up a Cz SP01 (19 rd non tac model), Ruger MK IV 22/45 bull barrel and a savage .17 HMR new in box. CZ is all stock, only a few clips through it, Ruger has about the same. $900 for all 3. Really just wanted another MK IV and the savage is good for the kid but will see how I like the CZ being such an Sig guy.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  10. redtailracing

Nice grab. Also, you're about to not be a Sig guy anymore...:crackup:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  11. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

12. gapman789

Found some chunks of metal in the Apollo. They are coming from the Maxxtech 124's. I don't know if the ejector is chipping off a piece of the casings' rim when it grabs it or what. I tried to find a casing with damage but gave up looking.

Just shot another 150 rds of UMC 115, blazer 115 and the Maxxtech.

UMC and Blazer, perfect. Maxxtech lotsa LPS's and a few FTF.

So do i just run the ammo that works or send the gun back and maybe they can 'fix' it to run all ammo?
    apollo metal.jpg apollo metal1.jpg apollo metal3.jpg

13. Carry I’m an Sig guy, they just work for me. I did trade a scope for a Staccato P I have yet to fire but I’m gonna sell that thing.

14. Measure the rounds to see if there is any physical difference.

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Send it

Jed likes this.
  16. redtailracing

Sig might admittedly be an easier carry. But I bet you’ll enjoy shooting the CZ more.

StaccatoFan and Kev59 like this.
  17. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Local range has seen lots of people have feeding and ejection issues with Maxxtech, some boxes run good, some don't. I've never shot it but I have ended up with a few of their cases when picking up my brass to reload. Their cases are junk IMO, had issues with them as soon as I tried to size them, they expanded more on firing than any other cases I've run across so I'm careful to cull them out and just toss them into the trash.

gapman789 likes this.
  18. gapman789

Well, at least my other guns run the maxxtech just fine. I have about 5000 rds of it. I also researched Maxxtech before I started buying it and the reviews were good, afaik.

Just watched a new video about the LFA Apollo 4.25", along with some reddit posts, and we're all having very similar issues.

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Send that CZ to Cajun Gun works for the Pro Package for the trigger and barrel bushing..the process takes a while...but, you will NOT regret it.

20. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Yeah, some people have luck with it, others don't. I don't know if it is variances in guns, variances with different lot numbers of the ammo itself or what. Like I said I haven't shot any of it, I just don't like their cases for reloading which isn't really any indication of how it would work other than how much case expansion I have seen in some of the fired rounds. And that's not really a large sample size and the range I use is smaller and I tend to go when it's slow so I can sweep the area to try to limit picking up cases that aren't mine but you always find a few mixed in here and there.

gapman789 likes this.