1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | 2024 | Road Atlanta | April 19-21

Discussion in 'General' started by gt#179, Apr 16, 2024.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yeah man… some injuries are not worth the extra pain of saving leathers….

Flopping appendages I could understand…

I’ve had so many sets cut off of me that I’ll see a pic and wonder “where is that set?” Only to remember “oh yeah those got cut off and thrown away too”

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I don't remember now but I don't think so. I was knocked out and when I woke I remember top already off and they were around my leg talking about trying to get leg out of sleeve. Boot was already off from my memory. I would have saved leathers if I did not wake up :)

ToofPic and 27 like this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I actually got that set fixed. Sent it back to Vanson and they just replaced whole left front half of it.

27 likes this.
  4. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Then I'm 10000% Sissy.

Femur, 3 ribs, clavicle (obviously), and at the time I had visions of massive internal bleeding so I didn't hesitate when the EMT asked if they could cut them off.

27 likes this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

dude! Where in the world are you guys finding EMTs that ask permission?!!!? Mind you I’ve either been unconscious or strapped down to the board when mine were cut but I’ve never been asked when awake and responsive…

I’ve never broken a femur or humorous, or clavicle oddly enough but all the rest most multiple times… I wasn’t being a tough guy just teasing mostly but back when I had to pay for leathers and they were $2k… I’d fight an EMT over that :D I’ve Tib/fib’d so many times on both legs that I’m probably biased and immune to the pain of that one… actually both legs have the same numb spots running down the insides of my shins from them…

younglion likes this.
  6. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

You sir are a stand up guy and corner low!!!
    Hope you pick up a ride as the season moves along and show some of these young whipper-snappers what a old guy can still do!!!

5axis and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

In Feb of this year I broke 7 ribs in a dirt bike accident. (I shorted a jump and went over the bars, bike decided to pile drive me into the ground) my wife drove me to the closest ER. The nurse was like, do you care about this jersey? I said hell no cut it off (justifying a new one in the wife's eyes) but the ER trauma doc said, and I quote, he walked in he can take his shirt off on his own.

Chest CT later, 7 ribs and a punctured lung....

And I don't get to buy a new MX jersey cuz the wife is like that one is fine I washed all the blood out of it.

Goddamn it!

Gino230, ToofPic, WIslowpoke and 5 others like this.
  8. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I’m just another one of the “don’t cut off my leathers” guys with stories of the now familiar argument with the medics in the back of the ambulance, but this “intestines shrivel” thought brought back a perversely funny event from my first road race in 1969 or 70 at Vacaville, my very first road race, back when guys did wear open face helmets in road races; we were just a little late and we were sitting waiting to cross the track to go in, and an ambulance was let out first, at the end of the first morning practice group. One of the turn workers walked over very upset to my window and said something like “you’re crazy if you go do that! That guy was wearing an open face helmet and he crashed and landed on his face and…” —followed by an extensive and very precise description of what happened to the poor guy’s nose, lips, cheek, teeth etc. Natch, this being my first road race, that was a little weird to hear at like 7:30 or something in the morning before even getting out on the track, and left my first timer’s stomach churning. Even worse my girlfriend turned green or some similar color. Fortunately I had one of those very first Bell Stars with the fixed, immovable windows to convince her (and me) that all was good and that I really needed to stay and race.

Gino230 likes this.
  9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

dude, what kind of jersey you like? Send me your name and address and size.

[email protected]

I got you

Gino230, ToofPic, wsmc42 and 9 others like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is that the one they call the funny bone?
    If I ruled the world, people like that would never practice medicine again. Not even on farm animals. Stuff like that says everything I need to know about whether someone should be in the healthcare industry. I don't care how good they are with their hands. If they don't care about patients, they don't need to work in a hospital. :mad:

stk0308, Gino230, ToofPic and 5 others like this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

damn Papa… thanks… I’ve just now realized why they say that stupid action of “hitting your funny bone” in actuality it’s either the Ulnar or Radial nerve that you hit in your elbow, depending on inside or outside, to give you the burning sensation…. I’d never thought of it being called humorous because of the upper arm bone… it’s still stupid and isn’t funny… I hate that feeling…

agreed on bad healthcare people… way more bad ones than good in my experiences too

12. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Very generous of you! thank you!

ToofPic likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The bone is called humerus, fool. Nothing funny about it. :Poke: You, on the other hand... :D

27 likes this.
  14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Now it’s actually funny!

told you I’ve never broken it… so I can’t spell it either obviously;)

thanks for the laughs man :D

15. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Well ain’t that some shit, I was 6 ribs, fractured sternum and punctured lung in December. Literally the same exact cause too only the bike didn’t pile drive me, I shorted a jump, bounced into the corner and stalled it at the top of the berm and went over the bars and came down square on my left shoulder. I managed to change my clothes before the pain set in, but my T-shirt did get cut off at the hospital. The doc said I set a new record for this breathing thing I’m holding with those injuries.
    render.8ACF8CF3-CBAC-4370-9434-24DF16CB8ED7.jpeg

BigBird, ToofPic and socalrider like this.
  16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I compressed a couple of vertabrae in a wreck many years ago. I told the responding paramedic that I was concerned because my back hurt. His response? "You're walking, aren't you?" Mr. Callous First Responder, where ever you are, fuck you!

mike w and ToofPic like this.
  17. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Dirt bikes are the worst. I did the same thing in August 2022 shorting a jump. 6 ribs, collapsed lung, tore a shoulder tendon. I assume you got the chest tube? 0/5 stars. Do not recommend.

BigBird and socalrider like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

IF by chest tube, you mean the thing that re-inflates your lung, that hurt worse than the broken collarbone and 3 ribs I broke in my crash.

socalrider likes this.
  19. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Mmmm hmmm. Doctor came in, told me it was going to suck, and that assessment was accurate.

But, I do remember immediate relief when I could finally breathe. Felt like a fish out of water for a couple of hours.

socalrider and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

JFC...I can die without knowing what that feels like, thank you very much :eek:

BigBird likes this.