1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RZ350 hybrid shock options

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by billymild, Apr 18, 2024.

1. billymild

billymild Member

I have a 1985 RZ350 hybrid setup. Stock RZ350 frame with FZR600 running gear. Forks, Brakes, wheels, and rear swingarm. Keep in mind this is NOT the aluminum FZ600 swingarm, but the steel FZR600. This swap was done before I purchased the motorcycle years ago.

I'm looking for a new rear shock. My current shock is soft and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Has anyone run this setup before? What shock options should I be looking at? Just any shock that will work for a FZR600 or RZ specific shocks?

https://imgur.com/a/fLvvUBE pictures here.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I don't know if this will fit or helps, but on my FZ600 I found that the shock from a CBR900RR is the right length, has a stiffer spring, remote reservoir and adjustable damping. It works pretty well on the track and especially for the street. I have put them on three FZ's so far and have gotten them off e-bay for less than $50.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have the exact same setup with a CBR600F4i shock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

many shocks from many brands interchange...

5. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are starting from zero, so you have a long way to go to get this setup correct.

It would take a lot of measurements and engineering to calculate a reasonable spring rate for a custom suspension with a linkage - but we could at least start with the shock you have.

Ideally you would pull the shock, measure the length, and if possible find someone or some way to accurately measure the spring rate. Once you have a spring rate, you can use that to cross reference (using Race Tech’s catalog, for example), alternative shocks that might work for you.

Then you’ll need to figure out if the candidate shock fits (or can be made to fit) in the space available, with particular attention to length.

If you just want to quickly solve the problem with $, some of the major suspension shops might be able to build a custom shock that would work for your application.

6. magrahamkp08

magrahamkp08 Member

I have a 1988 RZ350 Hybrid (GSXR1000 Front end with Nitron Internals and RGV250 Swingarm with Nitron shock). I initially bought a nitron rz350 shock which was WAY too soft. I ended up sending the whole bike to Andreani USA to build me a custom rear shock and front cartridge setup specific to my bike. Dave there is really sharp and will get you hooked up. At the time though, it was a LONG turn around. I suspect now that Andreani owns the shop Dave can turn it around much faster.
    [​IMG]
    Another option is to reach out to Racetech. They are building a set of shocks for my 1967 BSA 441 with a longer swingarm. They've got a form for all the measurements that need to be taken off the bike, etc.

2smokeRonin likes this.
  7. PatricksDad

PatricksDad Won’t die a blob

:bow:

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

9. billymild

billymild Member

You have an interesting endlink setup. Mine has custom linkages already. I may try this route since its cheap. If it doesn't work well then try something else. Thanks for the tips. I was realy struggling with finding someone else running this swingarm. The popular swap is FZ600 not the FZR600 swingarm.

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've actually got 2 FZ600 swingarms, but this FZR swap fell into my lap 100% bolt on ready so I couldn't pass it up.