1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've suggested this very thing more than once...to you even. It takes like 30 seconds (without a lot of practice) to swap out uppers and lowers, so yeah- you could be spraying 5.56 or .22 lead right now instead of hand wringing.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Good vid. I would caution against the youtubes as there's a lot of biased/bought opinions on there (even though I happen to mostly agree with this one). Definitely aggregate a variety of research. YT is one of the many places I look, plus web articles like pewpew tactical, and forums. Seems to provide a healthy variety of research. Not to mention there's no substitution for paying attention to the folks around you at the range.

Did decide to subscribe to that channel as I liked the format, may have to check out more of their stuff. My one disagreement is they liked the Sig and I openly shit on Sig at every opportunity. :crackup:Yes I know I'm in the minority with that one.

I was surprised the PSA had the problem it did. Based on Steak's and Ron's posts here (and what I would have assumed on my own even without their posts), I would have expected the opposite issue to what they had. Though I guess undergassing due to misaligned ports is actually a different issue than just pure undergassing.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

60 rounds was enough to know 300bo was a waste of money for me. Im glad I only spent $179 or whatever it was

4. redtailracing

That's fair. I'm at least a couple thousand rounds in on my own, only to be wondering if I've come to the same conclusion. :crackup: It's a cool round but so far that's about all I can say about it... literally you just get to play hollywood assassin being all stealthy quiet and shit :crackup: Functionally, I'm not sure I've figured out anything it does better than my 5.56s other than maybe not blowing my family's eardrums in the unfortunate event I have to use it inside.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Is it really that much different (comparing both suppressed or not)?

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Its a lot of 300BLK talk. I also see this 8.6 talk
    Ive built a 375 Raptor and now developing suitable rounds for it. I plan to use 270 grain Speer and 190 Maker bullets. I was nearly brought to tears when I looking into a hog hunt in Texas and one outfit mentioned they frown upon the the use if 223/556 and the 300 BLK. Im now rethinking my new DRT Caliber.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

My MP 15-22s with Sparrows and CCI standard velocity ammo are my hollywood playtime tools. Quieter than my son's airsoft "AR".

8. Steak Travis

yeah I think I’m gonna stick with 556 for home and the ATL. It’s gonna be loud regardless i think

556 tore these guy’s asses up
    [​IMG]

9. Steak Travis

yeah I’ve killed hogs with everything from a .50cal lead ball to a 300 win mag .
    As I’ve brought my wife’s best friends husband along once or twice … I’ve got him using the 308 which has been better for DRT than him using my smaller guns. I’ve also stopped being a bitch about weight and when I use the 308 I can shoot and just start looking for the runners instead of shooting and making sure the first hog is down for sure before going after runners . I’m confident my first shot is DRT with the 308. The 6.8 or 556 is DRT a lot of times on the first shot but not always.

I go in waves of what I think is best but with the SFAR out. If I had to pick my only gun at this moment.. it’d be the SFAR . There are people that have issues with them but I guess I got lucky.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Not to mention just damn expensive per round for what it is.

redtailracing likes this.
  11. redtailracing

Honestly, to the shooter no. But to everyone else around it is a massive difference, especially with subs.

12. redtailracing

Nice. Yea at best it delivers similar muzzle energy as 5.56 with less cavitation and at worst it's basically a .45, delivering half the energy on target. With the added bonus that you get to pay more for worse terminal ballistics as you go up in weight! :crackup:Shit now you got me toying with the idea of selling mine lol.

13. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

No offense taken. We are here to share opinions and real life experiences. My experience with my 300 has been 100% positive. gt#179s post got me thinking about variations because as I stated my rifles only see one set up. Pulled my $300 gun from the safe and tried the 4 variations without a single issue. Just thought I’d share that experience with people. Is it a one off ? I’m not that lucky. To me cost of anything is usually secondary to value. My gun will not beat itself to death because of the setup I use. If I varied the setup like I did for the test for many rounds maybe it’d brake before it hits 3k but maybe not. But with an adjustable gas block , which any gun should have shooting that wide of a range of setups regardless of price I’d say it’d give a tremendous value.

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

How much? :)

15. redtailracing

lol you don’t wanna know. That sig mcx from the video? You could have one of those with plenty leftover for optics and bolt ons for what I’d have to get for mine. And that’s IF I could ever bring myself to part with it (I rarely sell guns).

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

17. redtailracing

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You have a Shadow 2? Have you sent it to Cajun? WORTH EVERY PENNY for their Pro Package trigger work and barrel bushing. Mine's going to go there for that after my CZ 75 P01 they did..came back and the trigger is just so nice.

If you ever get to Maryland, I have a handfull of Staccato's you can feel free to try.

My "Go Buck Wild" gun is the Atlas Athena.

https://atlasgunworks.com/product/athena-order-now-pistol-1

Just so happens my Staccato source, mdelitefirearms, is also a Tier 1 Atlas dealer. Hmmmmmmmm.

The say the Atlas guns are even better than the Staccato XC, and I just cannot fathom that.

19. redtailracing

75 tactical sport orange. And if I ever make it up that way I’ll have to take you up on that. I hear soooo many good things about staccatos.

20. redtailracing

Well I submitted on 4/12 and got my approval yesterday. Brought it home today. Build is nearing completion.
    Still to go are an offset rmr and Vickers sling
    Likely upgrade the light to a dual fuel with more throw, still undecided between bigger surefire or Modlite
    Last thing I’m a bit unsure of is whether to throw a bipod or any sort of barricade stop out front.
    I’ve actually got a bit of a complex about taking this thing out to a comp soon lol. I feel like I’m not a good enough shooter to justify it. Like the dude who shows up with Attacks bike from last year to run around mid pack as a novice lol.
    But hey, at least it’ll be one of the most aesthetic setups right?
    PhotoRoom_20240423_205944.jpeg

RonR likes this.