1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Fortnine video that fitted nicely here...

Banditracer likes this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I liked mine when I had it and would buy another if a deal came along.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Am I nuts for looking at Avon Roadrider MKII for my Tiger 800XCx?

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Strictly road tires. I think you'd be better served by the Trailrider or perhaps the Trekrider, if you do any gravel or dirt roads. Neither is a knobby so moderate dirt/gravel and little more is appropriate. I've only used the Trailrider - on a Ducati Multistrada Enduro 1200S - and it was an excellent tire: great on the road, excellent in the rain, acceptable for occassional offroad service. I've not used the Trekrider - it was introduced more recently - but it appears to be a wee bit more aggressive. The Trailrider, as a great rain tire, was soft - don't expect 10,000 miles out of them. But, hey, its a tire, and tires wear, especially the ones that grip.

I've limited my comments to Avons because that is what you asked about, and I'm not going down the rabbit hole of a full blown tire discussion. Obviously, YMMV. Have fun.

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I had Trailriders. Then, replaced them with Anakee 3. Unfortunately, with the situation at Avon, buying another set of Trailriders isn’t possible. They definitely are better than the Michelins, IMO.

I rarely ride anything more serious than gravel and was looking at an even more road-biased tire. I know the vintage racers rave about the Roadriders.

Edit: Revzilla have been out of stock, for months. Rocky Mountain had some left.

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

How about Conti TA3?

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I looked at them, as I have a buddy who drags pegs on his 800XCx, running them. But, I ordered the Trailriders, when I saw Rocky Mountain had 2 fronts and 3 rears in stock. Avon have a soft carcass, which ride noticeably nicer than other tires. I should’ve never bought the Michelins, but, wanted to try something else. Paying the Michelin premium and receiving tires made in Taiwan was disheartening, as well.

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I hated the Continental Trail Attack when I tried it. But, that was 2011, so it was probably an early version of the TA, which may have been refined and improved. But, it was so scary on a big bike (KTM 990R) that I never gave it another look.

You might try Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires. I've had good road experiences with them over the years.

I ran Avons on my vintage race bikes for 27 years. Absolutely loved them. But, with the cessation of Avon m/c tire production in the UK, they are going the way of the dodo. I've gone to the Continental CR3 and like it . . . in the dry. I have a set of used Avons I carry for rain . . . . I guess I'll take a tire groover to a set of CR3's post-Avons . . . . I don't think you'll be happy with the Roadrider on gravel, and I suppose they too will dissapear.

I ride more dirt and gravel, so I look for something with a little more of that capability while giving decent road grip. But, a knobby is a knobby, and I err on the dirt performance side. I think you prefer more street accumen, so my comments will be of little use.

All the best.

Cheers,

Dave

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just bought a set of Dunlop Trailmax Missions for my T7, Probably swap out the stock Pirelli scorpions in a month or so. They better be worth the moolah....

10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a stretch to call my new ride an ADV bike, but it kinda looks like one.
    In the last few weeks I sold my '07 FJR (was happy to see it go) and my '16 GSXS1K (had some immediate regret but it's better now).
    Wasn't really looking at these but it does tick all the boxes for me and just happened to cost the exact amount of $100's that I got from the 2 sales...
    pics incoming...

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

jrsamples likes this.
  14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Not totally an ADV bike, but one of the coolest/hard to find big dual sport bikes that a friend is selling. KTM 950 Super Enduro. I've got one, and it'll be a while before I sell it. Friend has two and is thinning the heard. Not many of them around, and pretty unique. They have been selling around $9-10k recently but his is down to $8300. Great bike and in great condition.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3316370965330315/

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Yep, I saw that bike on ADVrider. I have an'06 SE - one badass moto. Tall. Otherwise, perfect adv bike - I'll retrain myself from extolling the virtues. Pretty rare kit these days.

Cheers,

Dave