1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Kids these days... can't ride a bicycle or even shoot a gun without a damn app running

2. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Right? Just like racing motorcycles. Why do you need to time your laps to determine if you're getting faster/slower? It's all about drum brakes and iron sights :D

3. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I've plateaued, so I have nothing for you, but interested in what others have to say. Dry fire from appendix concealment, I can hit .75 to .80 with dot confirmation all day long. Live fire from concealment, I'm stuck at 1.2-ish. Lots of reps, live and dry fire. I may just be transitioning into a sloth in my old age.

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

And that’s why we’re all faster than you. :D

5. Resident Plarp

From Silencer Shop's approval tracker, even trust times are coming down.:

Submission Type Wait Range Median Wait
    eForm 4 - TRUST: 1 Day through 141 Days 111 Days
    eForm 4 - INDIVIDUAL: 1 Day through 139 Days 4 Days

Also, of note, the LGS has noted a lack of silencers available at distributors and manufacturers. The faster approval times have shown that there really is a nice appetite for silencers. Too bad not many silencer manufacturers are publicly traded.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

At shooting or bicycle riding I have no doubt

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Did my CCW/CHL permit thing today. I 'guess' it was a good thing to do.
    Main reason is for traveling purposes and maybe quicker checkouts at the gun stores?

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I just got a test order of apparel for carrying concealed from Arrowhead Tactical, they're having their Spring cleaning sale, so I figured I'd check them out. Probably going to order more shorts for Summer. 40% off is a pretty good sale.

I'm impressed....stuff fits well and is comfortable. Their "trick" is a belt that threads inside the shorts or sweatpants where you can put your IWB holster and an extra mag carrier if you want.

Then the hoodie has a waffle pattern material that helps defeat printing around your waist and it has a zipper inside the front pocket of the hoodie that allows you to access your firearm without having to raise the garment.

gapman789 likes this.
  9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

IMG_9986.jpeg
    picked up a new toy yesterday - just shy of $550 OTD. Not sure yet what to do with it. LE trade-in M&P-15. Maybe the most vanilla run of the mill AR on the market. However, if I could direct your attention to the lower… not something you see everyday. Magpul collab forged lower receiver.

At the moment, leaning towards swapping the lower out with an old spare Aero laying in the safe and offloading it on the local forum for $500. It appears to have been test fired and that’s it. I’m not sure this even got qualled with. Almost zero carbon on the flash hider and the deflector looks like it’s had maybe a couple shots on it. Pretty sure it got an optic mounted (pic rail shows evidence) and then tossed between lockers and patrol cars for a few years.

The department that ordered these also appears to have rather enjoyed stendos :crackup: check out that CH latch and birdcage. I’ve seen both before but I feel like only on preban stuff. Seems odd/out of place on more modern rifles.

And lastly, I’m going to have to take a moment to get on my high horse about quality firearms. This rifle is a good reminder of the differences. From pistol grip to foregrip, there is probably a quarter inch of side to side deflection. Granted half of that is due to the plastic magpul handguard. But still probably an eighth inch from upper to lower. Not particularly confidence inspiring. Magpul plastic rear sight also isn’t very solid. Trigger is surprisingly decent - basically single stage milspec and not terrible. But the selector is flimsy as shit and has lots of play in both positions. Bottom line, it’s probably fine for someone wanting to plink a couple times a year but given today’s options, no way in hell would I trust this thing for hard use.

Attached Files:

10. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Im surprised a magpul lower would bring that kind of money. Not that I think anything is wrong with magpul but that I also don’t see anything special about it. Is it just a fanboi deal?

11. redtailracing

What do you mean? That rifle in a base configuration sits at around $800 new, so close to $900 OTD (9.75% sales tax in TN + $10 NICS). Substitute a nicer magpul stock and grip, add a fsb, flip up magpul rear sight, and magpul vertical foregrip, and I’d estimate if this were a factory commercial option, it’d land around $1k OTD as a new rifle (disregarding the special lower). To be clear I don’t think it’d actually be worth anywhere near that considering what else you could have for the same money, just referencing market value. So $550 for an effectively unused version with no more than cosmetic blemishes seems perfectly reasonable.

That said, in talking to the guy at the shop, it sounds like everyone who bought them said the same thing. They wanted the lower and are reselling the rest. They had a batch of 50 that sold out in a little under an hour. It’s not that the lower is highly valuable as much as it’s just sort of rare/not seen very often. Makes most people go “wtf?” when they see it lol. And considering I can probably come out of this deal at breakeven +/-$50 and a little effort but now with a neat rare piece, why not?

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Sorry my miss understanding. I took it to mean that you were changing out the lower and selling the magpul lower not the rifle.
    Makes much more sense now.

redtailracing likes this.
  13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Got a fox pro speaker and got a coyote in 9 minutes and 14 minutes. Coyote hunting is easy!

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

LOL

16. redtailracing

Big Tex Ordnance having a solid site wide 15% sale right now with prices that aren’t artificially inflated to cover the sale percentage. Nightforce NX8 1-8 for under $1500 is what I’d personally be most excited about if I were in the market. Lots of other good stuff though.

17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Still getting some quick turnarounds on cans. Last two were 3 and 2 days. Thus good luck finding what you’re looking for due to what I would guess is record breaking sales. I shot my competition AR that has a very aggressive brake the other day after shooting hundreds of rounds suppressed. I used to love that rifle lol

18. Resident Plarp

All the title 2 stuff worth having around here is gone. I was picking up ammo last week and a guy came in with his approved form 4 which was submitted three days previous. Cool stuff, but the naïve part of me thinks that, with the proliferation thereof, maybe the tax stamp will go away and it'll only take a 4473 to take one home that minute. If only!

19. redtailracing

Yall STFU. I submitted on 4/12 and am already checking my email like every 5 minutes as it is and you sumbitches ain’t helping. :crackup:

20. Resident Plarp

Dude, I do everything on a trust. So, the waiting hasn’t changed much from that perspective. I check the silencer shop approval wait times web page sometimes and see trusts go from 110 days back up to 130 days and back. And, unless you die, it’s going to be another $200/serial number to transfer possession of all the fun stuff to a family member or move it into a trust. Pooling it all into a trust so my brother can buy what he likes and I do what I want makes checking out each other’s gear easier. When either of us find something the other bought that we really like, the trust just ends up owning two of ‘em. :D