1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Elgin was founded in 1863 so it's xxx years old. Do some research and get back to us

tony 340 likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, critter has had my brain firing on 7 out of 12 on what I’d take into that environment.

A watch I’d need to relay upon 100% to keep me alive (ratcheted way up from what he posed).

rolex explorer II on a nato or a Panerai gmt on a nato.

Dead nuts reliable.

3. Critter

Critter Registered

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ahem...great minds think alike...minus the Nato. I have some and would probably put this on one for that type of mission. Or diving with it. yep for sure. NATO.

[​IMG]

Phl218 and tony 340 like this.
  5. Critter

Critter Registered

That seems OK, but I really do not like the Rolex brand that much at all, I swear I must be the only knucklehead on here to say that. WTF is wrong with me. LOL I have a Rolex I got from my dad, he got it when he was on leave in 1965 during the Vietnam war and I have the original box and papers. He won two purple hearts wearing that thing, so for me the rest of the Rolex's are just expensive Timex watches LOL. When it comes to watches I am interested in the look, movement and the complications, and if the watch does anything special, that being said complicated watches are typically not very durable.

I am leaning towards the Ti Version of the Emergency, that should be super durable and is really a unique piece. I have a year or so to look and I am not in a hurry so I am hoping to catch one on a deal on Chrono.

So here is a poll for you guys. If you had 15K to 25K to spend on a watch what specific watch would you buy and why?

6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Funny, I was looking the other day and dropped into a watch shop for an explorer 2 request, he says "yeah good luck, but you never know" got a call back 30mins later for a black face of the one above, a gen or two later, freshly serviced and up for sale. Done, love it.
    Edit: have been on waitlists since 2019 for a few sports models at local ad, but I'm not playing their game to 'develop the relationship '.

Phl218, tony 340 and ChemGuy like this.
  7. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Now we need pics. Thats a great story. Not that your ever going to sell that, but if its a desirable reference with a story like that it could be a nice parachute for you one day, your kids or your kids kids someday.... but for real, never sell unless last resort and post some pictures.

As for a rugged TI watch, I'd go Tudor Pelagos FXD - Its has fixed spring bars so your not losing it on the Nato, TI, Rolex reliability / movement, and come in black or blue. Only down side is it has no date. But if you need a date, the regular Pelagos models are pretty much the same minus fixed spring bars

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/pelagos-fxd/m25717n-0001

[​IMG]

Jed and Spooner like this.
  8. Critter

Critter Registered

https://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/any-watch-lovers-here.202462/page-284

Back on Page 284. I have been looking at those they are on my list one of the few that makes a full Ti band. What's the deal with high end watch makers using rubber for the band? I mean if you are going to buy an expensive watch I do not think rubber is acceptable, do people actually like rubber bracelets on a watch?

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I hate rubber straps. They get sweaty and nasty. I don't think I'd buy anything high end on one without immediately taking it off.

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Rubber is good if your going to be in the water a lot. Nato's kinda stay a bit soggy and steel is kinda meh in the water all day. But thats really the only use case I got for them. The new Oysterflex type straps are far and away better than the rubber straps of yesteryear.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

12. Critter

Critter Registered

Ah Crap thats not what I wanted to hear

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Come on man! G-Shock. Hands down.

14. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Same here. I’ve always had junky quartz watches. I’m saving for my first” real” watch, which I think will be an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I think they are stunning, and have a very cool history.

15. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I have my Grandfathers Elgin also. Much plainer version, by what I can find it's from 1941 or so. Still works just fine and a full wind lasts about a day and a half. Still in the box with the chain. It's an Elgin 542 17 jewel 10K gold filled type.

tony 340 likes this.
  16. Critter

Critter Registered

So here is a poll for you guys. If you had 15K to 25K to spend on a watch what specific watch would you buy and why?

17. Spooner

I can't see myself ever spending that kind of coin on a single watch, I'd rather spread those funds over 3-4 great watches.

18. Critter

Critter Registered

ok like what? whats on your wish list?

19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Presuming you mean new and I could get it at msrp, I would buy something from FP Journe or Lange. Basically whatever I could get from either of them. Or an Aquanaut.

20. Spooner

edit-not sure why the images won't work right off the Omega site so there is the link instead.

I don't have a particular watch I'm lusting after at the moment, but that's more because I am really trying not to buy any more watches right now haha. I'm a Tudor guy and have a GMT and Heritage Ranger but I do want to spread out to some other brands. I need to go to my AD that actually stocks a ton of great stuff to see things in person but I have a few things I think I'd like.

I definitely have more of an eye to 'timeless' classic style watches personally. I love Omega's and would rock several variations of the 57.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...hronometer-chronograph-40-5-mm-33212415103001

I've always been intrigued by the BB58 Bronze but haven't seen one in person. I like that it ages and would look great on a leather strap too. They are only available in their boutiques though which sucks.
    [​IMG]

I love the BB Chrono as well.

[​IMG]

I just remembered that I've always wanted to see the dark side of the moon variations but I don't believe my AD ever has them. I don't love this strap but the watch is pretty rad.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...ronometer-chronograph-44-25-mm-31163445199001

Attached Files: