1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daniel Carcillo Psilocybin Concussion Therapy Webcast

Discussion in 'General' started by 27, Mar 31, 2024.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

So I got a cool email back today from Daniel Carcillo inviting me to do his webcast. It’ll be about psilocybin therapy and concussion recovery techniques and experiences and I’m sure we’ll talk about racing and hockey too.

I’m not usually a fanboy but have to admit it’s cool to even discuss it with the 2 time Stanley Cup champ with the best and coolest NHL team(yeah I’m a lifelong Blackhawks fan.)

Not sure when it will be but I’ve talked to a bunch of you through PMs about it so I’ll let you know when we record it.

Just look him up on every social media platform and you’ll find his stuff… he cares and wants to help… he retired at 30 because of the onset of concussion issues that he’s now fully recovered from and shares the knowledge. For any of you that’s had head trauma issues, which seems to be most of us, it’s really inspiring.

G2G, RightSideUp, wsmc42 and 10 others like this.
  2. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

You had me at Psilocyb.....

cpettit, CBRRRRR999 and 27 like this.
  3. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Carcillo is a bad mutha.

27 likes this.
  4. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I just had my 3rd bad concussion in a years time a week ago. All from crashing on track. This latest one feels different than the previous 2. Still getting bad headaches and dizzy spells, along with general brain fog. It's only been a little over a week, but the previous 2 either didn't have all of these effects or were gone within a week.

Been searching here around Nashville for a doctor to go see, but haven't seen anything that sounds promising for real solutions. I'm thinking that it may be some swelling still hanging around and that I should give it another week maybe before I do anything.

Without asking you to go into too many details about this treatment, is it something that you would generally wait sometime after the last incident before starting or is it something that can be done right away?

Thanks,
    Eric

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

As fast as you can… the healing from the concussions are where the connections are lost, think of it as broken circuits and scar tissue. Psilocybin is the only thing proven to regenerate brain tissue, repairing the connections, so the sooner the better. Watch some of Daniels videos he really does a great job of explaining it.

Not to be negative but no doctor is going to do anything that will make a difference imo… nature provides in its natural substance again with psilocybin.

protect your head for a good while as they are accumulative and everyone is different…. Stay positive and heal up!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Gino230, DrA5, E Reed and 2 others like this.
  6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I did that in 2020-2021, my last one the fog lasted weeks. The cumulative nature to concussions stacks up, and only gets worse as we age. I am 57 now, and scared for my cognitive future. This therapy sounds interesting, and promising but, more than likely too late for me. Really most doctors cant do a thing, they cant give you medicine, or surgery to fix what you did, and as long as the brain isnt bleeding, you are left to your own healing. Good luck, Ski

27 and E Reed like this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I agree with most of that but think it's important to note that psilocybin is not actually proven to regenerate human brain tissue. There's an often-referenced mouse study from 2021 which showed in increase in length and density of dendritic spines (which means nothing to me because I'm dumb), but it sounds like a good thing.

You can't really make a linear conclusion about humans for a bunch of reasons, but pedantry aside, it's very encouraging.

Anecdotally, I'm on board. I've used and will continue to use psychedelics in my own recovery, but I sometimes think the evangelists take it too far. Psychedelics make an excellent hammer but not everything is a nail.

Wingnut and 27 like this.
  8. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I will start some research on it today. I pretty much decided that I was finished with racing while I was in the ER. At 53, it's probably time to hang it up anyways.

27 likes this.
  9. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

After my second one, which was back in August/September at Pitt Race, I did have some cognitive decline. Not being able to think of words while speaking. Also some stammering when trying to speak. Memory took a hit as well. I had started feeling better a month or so ago and decided to go do some flat track racing weekend before last. Some idiot ran out of talent trying to pass my on the inside and lost the front, taking us both out...

10. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

I have a few concussions from psilocybin, mescaline, LSD . I guess you're not supposed to ski, ride or drive on them.

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ll take some time to explain in a longer post soon but… don’t think it’s too late… I had intense treatments for a few months after a bad concussion in 2014 and the healing was so profound that I got back a decade block of memory that had been missing since 1997… that’s in addition to a full recovery from all the usual symptoms and even a stutter that time… which was new to me…

plus many of us develop issues in our later years so now would be the time to try to get ahead of it if you can… good luck!

CBRRRRR999 and skidooboy like this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

that’s a new one… I don’t think I’ve ever thought much about injuries from indulgences :) outside of playing music and or always being out in nature I can’t think of any physical activities and certainly no extreme sports that I’ve ever done during “treatments” ;) no wonder you’re hesitant:D

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

That has been the most concerning issue for me. I have always been well spoken, great memory. After the 3 in a row, I couldnt remember people's names I knew for years, easy words, for descriptions in conversation, names, roads, of places I frequent. People would say, do you remember when you/we... NOPE, gone until reminded, and then it was fuzzy. I would stop mid sentence, and people would ask me... and... I couldnt remember what I was talking about.

I am well into the double digits for concussions. Mine started in my youth, and as you know, the more you get, the easier they are to get. It terrifies me to watch the concussion documentaries, especially the ones with poor endings, like Aaron Hernandez. I have, or had lots of the symptoms, of long term concussion issues. Ski

27, Wingnut and E Reed like this.
  14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Ski,

Please look into it, you’ve got the knowledge and the worry so do the research… the information out now is a godsend and if I hadn’t been unknowingly self medicating for years before any of it was out we wouldn’t be having this discussion as I had 18 lost consciousness concussions and saved every helmet and kept notes from them all… the benefits are substantial and the side effects are non existent… it’s cheap and really the only option and hope for all of us extreme athletes… especially us that started before anyone knew better… and you’re in Canada iirc… even easier I believe.

Good Luck!

skidooboy likes this.
  15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Yeah I've been doing quite a bit of research the last 2 years now.....
    27 knows..

Phl218 and 27 like this.
  16. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Don't want to act like an expert, but I feel like sensory deprivation(float) tanks have been shown to help with post-concussion symptoms as well.

27 likes this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Wingnut, I thought about you when I posted this… hope all of your research and programs are going well.

More good people helping others… makes the world a better place for sure.

chobes likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

This one creeps up as a problem for me more and more often. It is incredibly frustrating as well. It can be the most basic of words at times, and I just have a blank spot when in the middle of a sentence. I've only had five blackout concussions, my most recent two years ago on the MTB - it being the worst yet.
    I am open to alternative treatments and will start looking at this to see if it can help.

E Reed and 27 like this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

In what way? I’ve never done them…

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Interestingly, one of the laws that quietly passed here this year is to allow treatment studies on psilocybin and mental issues. These studies are allowed to start May 1, so now I have a new task of finding one for concussion symptoms. It's nice to bring it up today. This bill was never discussed on the news, and the state Senator acquaintance of mine never said anything about it either although he voted in favor. I'll be making some calls.

27 likes this.