1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Trust me I've thought about everything from this to the L-39. One of my good flying buddies was an airshow pilot with an L-39 group and that is probably cheaper than a T6 to operate!

I need to get a ride in a few of these things and see how much I really like them. The T-28 actually sounds awesome, and there's some A models around with the smaller engine that still do 200 knots or so.

I also found out that an old friend of mine is in the CAF down in Peachtree City, I'm not sure what he flies but I need to give him a call.

I don't love the high wing decathlon or the Pitts, I've flown them both and they just don't do it for me.

Of course this is all about fun, and it's a giant bucket list item. I know I will probably tire of the expense in a year or two, but then I can sell it and move on to race cars or some shit.

2. Gino230

Damn, if I could find one to rent once a month I would have no problems!

3. Gino230

rd400racer likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The mechanic I need to use to get my piper running, based at KBEH, owns this SNJ...

[​IMG]

I am not sure if he owns, is partners in or just fly's the P51d based there as well.

These things are thirsty...thristy girls.

Steak Travis, Gino230 and rd400racer like this.
  5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

A guy I worked with had a nice Stearman. He said he spent more time polishing flying wires than actually flying. :)

6. Gino230

Dammit @SteveThompson now you have me going nuts looking for a Socata!

SteveThompson likes this.
  7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

That’s pretty cool though

there’s a dpe in Memphis with a t-6… I wonder if he could do training

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read it simply because I got to "fly" one. I'm fortunate to have a best friend that has considerable monies and he likes to do fun shit, so he paid for us to be fighter pilots for a day. We did our day at a little airport near Cincy. We got to do 8 sorties and each one was filmed, so we have a memory of all our dogfights. And the pilot (all of them ex fighter jocks) gave us the controls so we were actually doing it. Full acrobatics, it was nuts. Gave me a huge amount of respect for this particular plane.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

inpayne likes this.
  10. speedluvn

True! The description briefly mentioned the mock fighter school air time.

11. SteveThompson

There are some cool things about it, but you specifically asked about its history. I would say it’s kind of terrible. It’s a 50 year old airplane that was used in a dogfighting school. It had a cheap overhaul and has flown, I would say, less than the minimum reasonable hours required per year since then. It has no air conditioning and crap avionics (some of those don’t even work). I would also be concerned that there are no pictures of the interior or instrument panel. This is definitely a buyer beware situation. Why is there such a colorful written ad and no decent pictures, scanned logbooks, etc?

I would think someone would only be interested in this if the aerobatic capability was very important to them. Otherwise, there are lots of other options.

12. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know why the wings were repainted fairly recently. I’ve never flown one, but understand it’s like doing acro on a Harley.

13. speedluvn

Thats errythang that I was thinking. It was barely mentioned that the plane was in a dogfighting school. The picture shown of the plane were nice. Since mentioning, I dont recall seeing any cockpit photos.
    Thanks for the confirmation. :beer:

14. rd400racer

I put a vid in the Youtube thread of one sortie during my Air Combat day. I'd definitely do it again.

15. Gino230

That's pretty funny, I was actually thinking that the ad was worded with alot of BS and not many facts- "flown gently" was what made me laugh, the ham fisted non-pilots yanking and banking that thing doesn't count as gentle in my book.

My buddy with the Extra 300 told me he would not buy one without the G-meter that has the permanent memory of the highest G recorded. But that is a composite airplane and they can't be inspected the same way as metal ones from what I understand.

16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

This was my biggest thought. I wonder how many times that thing has been over G'd. For 300k I'm looking at something different.

17. rd400racer

Here y'all go, a bargain!

Red and white provost jet. MK5A P84.
    $80,000

[​IMG]

18. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Since the pilots in here are gathered.....

Would yall trust a helicopter shuttle company out of country? Wife and I are headed to St.Lucia or similar for an anniversary trip. We can't stand the long car rides that come with many of the resort locations.

Something like this:

https://www.stluciahelicopters.com/airport-transferes/

I never progressed past student pilot rankings, but I'm scared of a VFR into IFR into side of mountain experience.....

19. SteveThompson

Safer than racing at Blackhawk. Less safe than riding on a United 737 Max.

Dragginass likes this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Well those guys seem OK. They are flying Astar...which despite being Fraaanch built are pretty safe. Do some research on the guys you want to use and the choppers they fly then flip a coin. I mean they cant be any worse than United right now so you've got that going for you.

Dragginass likes this.