1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire warmers temperature

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dudutzu, Mar 25, 2024.

1. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

Looking to get some new chicken hawk warmers and noticed that there's a quite the difference in temperature settings between models. For some models 175 is standard, for others 195 is standard, and then single temp Pro's are 203!!

I don't race but I run race tires, used to run only Pirelli but tried Dunlop at the end of the last season and I would like to try them again.

I'd like to just get a single temp, which "standard" temperature do I go for? Is 175 enough? Is 203 too much?

Thanks everyone!

2. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

FWIW, I set my CH warmers to 195F for Pirelli SC1 front and rear. Dunno if that is correct or not but they work for me.

3. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

FWIW I use one of those cheap infrared temp guns immediately off the track and set my warmers just slightly higher than that.

My idea is that they stay the as close to the same track operating temp and pressure as they can, following track conditions all day. No sense in setting pressure and baking a tire to 203*, that just gets colder and loses pressure when using it. If its hot conditions, you may need that high?

Right or wrong i dunt no, but its anal retentive enough to make me happy:p

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If you're coming in and your tires are a good bit below the off the warmer temp, you might want to tweak your pressures to help work the tire more, or ya know, more right hand, less left... :D

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't do this. You are sacrificing performance.

If you are fast enough to heat up tires more than the recommended warmer temp, you are overheating your tires in between sessions. A-group and faster riders should be able to heat tires above warmer temp (80C) on a day with good weather. On days with challenging weather (cold and/or windy), expert racers and faster should be able to heat tires above warmer temp.

If you are setting your warmers below the recommended temp, you are reducing your grip for the first few laps. That grip could allow you to go faster, which could let you build more tire temp for the whole session.

6. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I thought a pyrometer with a probe that goes into the tire was a lot more accurate of a gauge than surface temperature. I’ve been debating getting one just out of curiosity.

7. stangmx13

Dunlop recommends heating your tires to 70-80C for no more than 1hr. So you could use hotter warmers, just remember to not over-bake your tires before and in between sessions. And remember to unplug or reduce your warmers for long breaks.
    https://www.dunlopracing.com/faq/

I've seen racers crank their warmers to hotter temps for a few minutes right before they head out. This could put the tire closer to their operating temp and potentially give them more grip for the first lap. Although, that benefit might be largely mental.

8. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Those FAQs say: “Heat Cycles is not an issue with Dunlop racing tires as it would be with other brands.” And then a few questions later say: “…tire performance degradation may occur if tires are subjected to repeated tire warming cycles, and/or temperatures/times in excess of these.”

9. stangmx13

To me that means "Our tires don't heat cycle as bad as our competitors. But if you fuck around, you can screw up our tires".

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

heat cycles are definitely an issue regardless of brand... some riders can tell the difference between a fresh and multiple heat cycled tire. The bottom line is to keep them from cooling.

11. Cooter!

I only got 51 tire burning hp's! :crackup:

Man there more opinions here than an oil thread:dead: :blart:

The Todd likes this.
  12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If I can highside a stock GS500E, you can built more heat in your tires with 51hp. :D

13. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

What’s considered a heat cycle? Are tires sitting in a trailer in the middle of summer taking a hit from the heat? I’m going to guess no because I doubt the Dunlop guys with trailers full of tires are unloading them after every weekend.

14. stangmx13

I’ve never heard of anyone actually test heat cycles. Everyone just puts miles on their tires and claims it has heat cycles when it doesn’t have grip anymore. But the tire is worn! You are testing wear just as much as heat cycles when you just ride.

If someone wants to test heat cycles, they should heat and cool a brand new tire a bunch of times before running it for a single lap. Then see if it has less grip than a brand new tire. Preferably, the rider tests these tires blind. And you have a few riders do it in diff orders to reduce the impact of conditions changing on track.

Wheel Bearing and PatricksDad like this.
  15. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I’m sure Dunlop knows something about this. I just wish they told us more than they do in a set of meaningless FAQs written by their lawyers.

16. TurboBlew

cooling down from operating temp.

17. TurboBlew

this particular rider liked to scrub fresh tires before running them in a 20 lap race.
    He blindly ran some very fast laps on some well worn Daytona spec dunlops at Tally.

18. Cooter!

Thats impressive!
    Ya, we were dodging massive hail last weekend (CRA round 2) and no one here is prepared for that malarky! Haha. When it finally dried out the track was clean and cold, everyone was sliding everywhere:eek:. Bubbles even punted me in the mud to take home a 2nd in Supersport.

It was a quiet ride home.

19. stangmx13

What is operating temp. Cooling down to what temp. How long was it at operating temp. How long did it take to cool. Is an entire trackday where the tire stayed above warmer temp one heat cycle or 8 or only 4 cuz each decrease to warmer temp was only 1/2 a heat cycle. Does any of this matter or is wear the largest contributor to loss of grip...

Too many questions, not enough data.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Been there and done that almost 30 years ago . In the AMA HD 883 spec series many of the riders (Eric & Ben Bostrom, Dave Estok, Matt Wait, Scott Zampach, etc., etc.) would scuff and heat cycle the rear (both brands) in practice to help stabilize it then stash it for the race. We also tried to heat cycle new tires with extra hot warmers for Ben, Dave, Eric and the other Bartel Metzeler racers but I don't remember the conclusion of those tests. But I do know I'm having a 2 hearted IPA with pizza from the Topinabee market tonight for the win!

stangmx13 likes this.