1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoPro video experts....

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I have a Hero 7 Black. For some reason, this thing stops recording despite plenty of memory left. What I get is a few 8 min videos (GoPro splits them into 8ish min sessions for file size I think) and then a bunch of 0 min (1 sec or a still frame) "videos". Then I also get some where halfway through the 8 min session, the picture freezes and I just have sound.

Plenty of battery and I clear the memory before the start of the day.

I also have an upload problem- when I go to upload to Youtube, it takes HOURS and the resulting quality is horrible. The video looks awesome on my computer, but the uploaded result is terrible.

Using a MacBook Air FWIW.

I can't believe these stupid influencers can get 1080P videos uploaded daily, and I can't manage this basic function of 21st century living?

ToofPic likes this.
  2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Usually these things boil down to the sd card? What are you using?

3. Gino230

SanDisk Extreme 32GB

Should I get a bigger / better one?

4. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I would definitely recco trying a new SD card. Sometimes they go bad and when they do you'll start seeing some of the file corruption type stuff that you are. SD cards are so cheap now, it's great. You can get a 128gb for like 20 bucks. Try that out and if you're still having trouble, shoot me a pm.

Gino230 likes this.
  5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd start with a new card since it's cheap, decent chance it IS the problem, and will have more capacity.

Doubt the brand and type itself you have now is the problem but I'm no expert. Stuff happens.

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Try a few things:

- Initialize the CD card through a camera to have a fresh start (I assume it used to record better to the same card), otherwise get a better card
    - Youtube takes some time to process higher quality video, so after initial upload the smallest size video shows, a few hours later HD and 4K become available
    - Check your YouTube preferences for any limitations
    - Vimeo produces better quality video, generally speaking

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You have to get the right settings for 4k when uploading to youtube. It can't just be generic out of the box.

I'll have to look when I get home but its basically bit rate, bit depth and something else I can't remember right now. Then your vids will get identified by youtube correctly, and processed up to the max res you recorded at.

When I upload my vids get recognized as 4K in just a few minutes. Before the upload is completed sometimes! Then it does take 30+ minutes until the 4k is available to the world for viewing.

Gino230 likes this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Good Youtubers pay for business internet or fiber and have upload speeds greater than 10Mbps. It saves them a lot of time on uploads.

Bitrate and the resulting file size will dramatically affect upload durations. Youtube has recommendations for the bitrate of an upload, given a resolution. GoPros and editing software can produce videos with higher bitrates, much much higher in some cases. Quick searches suggests that recording at 1080p60 with HIGH bitrate on a GoPro produces files that are 60Mbps, 5x higher than Youtube's rec of 12Mbps.
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en#zippy=,bitrate

Gino230 likes this.
  9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

GoPro/SD card has nothing to do with slow upload speeds and everything to do with your internet connection. Use an Ethernet connection for upload if at all possible (assuming your upload speed on your internet plan is worth a shit).

10. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

My Hero 3+ will take like a several minute video... then create another video to continue the balance of the track session (20 minutes +/-)
    I always thought it was weird how the gopro recorded like that.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Agree on the card. Try to re-intialize it. Also go to the gopro page or forum and they usually have recommended or known good card for your exact model...get the exact one...ie:
    sandisk super mega gold plus happy #3+++ mega yankee
    and not:
    sandisk super mega gold happy plus #3+++ mega yankee.

Totally different card and not go prop compatible. :rolleyes:

Wheel Bearing and thrak410 like this.
  12. Irate

Irate Member

Do you keep it in a case while recording? Could be overheating.

13. Gino230

It was quite warm and would not respond to any button pushes at one point. So I took the battery out and it kind of reset. Yes it's in the Mount / case, but it's exposed to lots of airflow- find it hard to believe it would get THAT hot.....

It also ate a rock this weekend, but I popped the lens cover off and continued to use it.

IMG_6527.jpg

ToofPic likes this.
  14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

More truth to this than most will realize :crackup:

ChemGuy likes this.
  15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Overheating seems to be the issue I have. I have tried countless SD cards and formatting methods. Different batteries. I truly despise GoPro.

16. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I've read that overheating could be due to recording on too high of a quality and framerate setting, but I haven't had a chance to try that out on a hot day. I've had issues with my gopro shutting off after half a lap.

17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I tried lowering to 1080 and lower frame rate. Still would quit at some random time between 1 and 5 min. This is with two different GoPros. I read the interwebs and tried everything I could find. A good friend has good reliability with his. Only difference is his is mounted on the front of the fairing in the wind, mine was behind windscreen. It seemed to last a little longer if I stored in a cooler between sessions, maybe?

18. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I'm sure you're aware, but replacing that lens is really easy. I bust mine from time to time as well.

A 32GB card is pretty small.
    Roughly 1GB = 2min at 4K.
    SD cards are finicky on GoPro's from my experience.

I've had good luck with these on mine.
    https://a.co/d/0STcmxX

Gino230 likes this.
  19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I hate GoPro. The newer the model the shittier it works. The best one I had was first gen Hero. So simple and worked great. Ended up losing it at the track. These newer ones I just cant get to work. I hit record on the grid after warmup lap. It turns off after first lap. New batteries, different cards (128GB cards). So tired of it. Mine is mounted behind the screen now as I got tired of replacing the lens.

Wheel Bearing and ToofPic like this.
  20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This has turned into a reason's to not buy a GoPro thread.