1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AR Question

Discussion in 'General' started by lizard84, Mar 18, 2024.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Assembled is a good word too.

Maybe build is appropriate because in that situation you get to pick the parts you and your budget prefer

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Thanks, I registered for that forum.

3. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Nice, thanks for the info. Good starting place for a newb. Hope this thread keeps going for a bit for a place to glean info. As we all know, every important topic in life is informed exclusively from the beeb.

dtalbott likes this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

BCM is the answer.

elevenn7 likes this.
  5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Never any love for rock river in any of the AR threads. That being said……..FN:D

6. lizard84

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up finding a pretty good deal on an in stock Daniel Defense DDM4 V7 Hunter Kryptek Highlander, 18 inch barrel, geissele 2 stage trigger with ambidextrous safety and ambi charging handle for about $150 more than the rifles I was asking about.

gt#179 and redtailracing like this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

They do make nice barrels.

britx303 likes this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

RR is our issued here. They go 30k rounds then we take them to Qu@nt!€o for further use.

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Forget about the wylde, go 5.56, shoot them all. One word... Larue. buy a stealth upper (arguably the best barrel for ar's on the market), and build whatever lower you desire. Adult leggo's. Ski

10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Just build it yourself. Its not hard.

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

You do realize .223 wylde is just a chambering to improve accuracy and does not limit you on any ammo selections right?

Quicktoy and brex like this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It's a better version of the 5.56 because it adds the better accuracy of .223.

But hey, just let morons be morons.

13. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

That is a nice rifle. DD has a good reputation. Spend some time on M4carbine.net. Such a great resource to learn about rifles. Here is a great video about setting up your rifle.

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

When I assemble an AR my personal preference is Aero Precision lowers. No roll pins. They use threaded Allen pins.

elevenn7 likes this.
  15. lizard84

Love the Irishman in that video.

16. redtailracing

That dude is a walking talking encyclopedia of knowledge.

17. lizard84

FYI, I've got limited space so somthing gots to go. My Weatherby Mark V Bronze, 270 Weatherby Mag is on the block, less than 40 rounds through it, tally rings, no optic. PM for questions.

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

jeebus, chemguy had to be intentionally impersonating Earl. Spot on. lol

dobr24 likes this.
  19. lizard84

I mounted one my Vortex 5x25x50 for now with a vortex mount, another 9.45 arca rail I use on my other toys and headed to the range on a very windy day. I've had AR's but never a 5.56/223. Rifle arrived so fast I hadn't gotten any ammo, Sportsman's Warehouse to the rescue, lots of 5.56 on the shelf, nothing premium but a shitload on Winchester Target & Practice 62 gr FMJ M855 green tip, it was the same price as the Hornady Frontier 55gr FMJ M193 (cheap) The Frontier actually shot really well group wise, 3236 age fps, spread wasn't impressive but the Frontier groups. The Winchester groups in minute of man and is all over the place, won't be buying it again.

I love the rifle, going to mount my holosun on an angle and pretend to be that Irishman while I get my ass kicked in a 3 gun match.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jedb likes this.
  20. redtailracing

Nice. For 3 gun I would recommend a lower power scope. I’ve found 2.5-10x works great but an offset red dot is not a bad idea. Most guys are running even lower power than I am but I use that rifle for shooting 800+ as well. Never used a holosun but they seem to be a good option for red dot if you go that route. Also finishing a 14.5” build that uses a 1-8x with an offset red dot and I think I’m going to like that setup better. But will still hold onto my 18” for long range. And at least in our group, you’re allowed to use different rifles between stages as long as you don’t change caliber.

Frontier is some of my favorite competition ammo. That and Fiocchi. Keep in mind you can’t use green tip at most ranges, including 3 gun matches. So I use 55gr for closer stuff and keep a couple mags in my kit marked for 77gr for when I need to reach out. 77gr is also what I’m zeroed for.

keep us updated on your competition explorations. I’m fairly new to it myself but am loving it and learning so much at every match.