1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The kids know their father pretty well.

far.jpg

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

If anyone is looking for some different bottles, I'm trying to clean out the cabinet overflow:

Barrell Silver Label
    - 15 Year Aged
    - Seagrass 16 Year Aged
    - 24 Year Aged

Knob Creek 18 Year

Penelope Barrel Select

Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered

Smoke Wagon Small Batch

High West - High Country Limited

Blanton's Mini's - 50mL mini bottles

Eagle Rare Store Pick

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting. Will gladly ship it to you nice and protected.

DM if interested.

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Just picked up a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year that I won. Now I just need an excuse to open it and try it. Would post a pic but I'm dumb.

4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

It’s good but not worth what you can sell it for.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

Not worth it at all unless you bought it for MSRP which is around 40-50 bucks. 15 year and 20 year are where it's at!

6. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

79.99 seemed like a good deal, hell Blanton's goes for 75 around here.

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Where would one sell a bottle of 'apportioned' likker?

My go-to store has a point system that you can either use for a pittance off your purchases, or build up enough points and spend them on the right to purchase a hard-to-get bottle at MSRP.

I would buy something like that if I knew I could flip it for a profit.

My taste buds wouldn't differentiate between $4 rotgut and $4,000 40 year old elixir.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yes they would :D ... You'd be surprised if you've never had that good stuff how good some of it actually is. Try some Johnnie Walker Red, then get a dram of Blue and its like night and day. The Blue just kinda evaporates off your tongue and leaves tons of flavors with virtually zero alcohol kick on the way down.

9. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Piling on; experience good bourbon is like good suspension. Often, it’s worth the price paid. Even if it’s JW Blue.

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

JW Blue is scotch, but I agree with your assessment.
    Simple experiment that will cost $100 or less. Grab a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof, Wild Turkey 101, and a bottle of standard issue Wild Turkey. The Rare Breed is 116 proof and is other worldly, the 101 has some of the Rare Breed flavor qualities, but lacks some of the mouth feel, and the regular stuff is on par with other entry level bourbons and nothing special, but drinkable. Same distillery, same line, 3 very different tastes and feels that you don't need a refined pallet to detect or appreciate.

11. auminer

I should have just left it at this one query.

12. Spang308

I have no idea. Bourbon is on a one way trip once I own it.

13. rwdfun

rwdfun

This thread just keeps popping back up and I don't understand why. To answer the OP's question once and for all

FALSE.

It all tastes like firewater. Some more burnt than others. You can water it down or mix it with other things but it still tastes bad. I think you all share my opinion but want to act cool. Harkening back to the Cowboys of the wild west that took shots of it to dull the pain of, well, living in the wild west. And the stench of each other

:D

sharkattack likes this.
  14. Spang308

Well, it's maybe not for the Coors Light crowd that sits down to pee, but some of us non hipsters love the taste and aren't out to impress anyone.

CRA_Fizzer and 83BSA like this.
  15. ClemsonsR6

@auminer There are quite a few secondary Facebook groups. I'll be glad to help you move something; just DM me.

auminer likes this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Like Clemson says, there's bound to be bourbon groups in your area that would have members willing to pay big money for the status of that bottle. When mom died a few years ago we found an unopened bottle of Pappy from 1996. We got $1800 for it. And if you really want to know what it tastes like, find a bottle of green label Weller for about $60...same shit.

[​IMG]

R1Racer99 likes this.
  17. auminer

I appreciate it!

I haven't yet "invested" in anything. Perhaps you might share a good FB group to lurk and get a good idea of what is in demand, so I know what to keep an eye out for when I visit the store?

18. rwdfun

rwdfun

Oooooorrrr. Maybe you are the hipster trying to act cool with your crappy alcohol. When I first realized Bourbon was the new hipster fad was when I stopped at a couple places along the KY Bourbon trail a few years back. At one stop the "expert" maker tried to teach us how to properly sip Bourbon. He instructed us to take a sip and hold it in our mouth and swish it around then wait as long as we could until we couldn't stand the burn any more then swallow it. Same guy also hinted that Rye Whiskey was an acquired taste by true whiskey connoisseurs. From what I recall, Rye was the crap stuff but this hipster was trying to say it was the good stuff for experts. Maybe the experts that already had their taste buds burned off. It's a lot like eating spicy food. It's a macho thing to eat stuff that burns your mouth but I prefer tasting something good.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So enlighten us... what tastes good?

20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid: