1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify Yamaha calipers for rebuild

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jcivince, Mar 5, 2024.

1. jcivince

jcivince Well-Known Member

I bought my 05 GGSXR1000 with Yamaha calipers on it and want to do a rebuild but not sure what year/R6-R1 they are.
    upload_2024-3-5_10-3-13.png
    Messy topic but recommendation for pads? Track , prefer strong initial bite.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Superbikey forks. :cool:

Any seal kit for an R6 from 06-now or R1 from 15 to now will work. (Probably a pile of other Yamahas as well, but those I know for sure.) I think the gold plugs were only on the 06-07 R6 calipers, so it might be a good idea to do pistons as well as seals if you're rebuilding.

OEM part numbers for pistons and seals: (4) 5PW-25802-10-00, (4) 5PW-25802-00-00
    OEM part numbers for just seals: (4) 5PW-25803-00-00, (4) 5PW-25803-10-00

Most of our guys like the SBS DS1 pads. Or the SBS RST pads. 634DS-1 or 634RST.

3. jcivince

Thanks for the ID and part numbers!

Same thought on replacing pistons as well as the seals - I'm going to try some JPV V3 and see how it goes.

I'll do a little research on the pad suggestions and pick those up as well.

Thanks Again!

4. jcivince

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We've been using the BrakeTech pistons on most builds since they came out. Very nice pieces and Jeff @ BrakeTech is awesome to deal with.

https://braketech.com/caliper-racing-pistons/

As it was explained to me, SS has slightly less thermal conductivity than Ti.

6. jeff92

jeff92 Active Member

Not sure if its relevant or not, but the 05 R1 came with the gold plugs as well.

7. jcivince

I looked at the Brake Tech pistons but liked the superfinish and light weight of the JBP ones. You are correct on the better/lower thermal conductivity.