1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squatters- talk to me like I am in 5th grade

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Mar 1, 2024.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If they’re circumcised, they’re coffee tables…

2. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

I had to take my brother to court and evict him from my property that I bought for my father and graciously let him stay until pops died of throat cancer , if he would have Been gratefull he could have stayed but the Crack made him a liability .

3. superdino

superdino Naturally aspirated twin-turbo

This whole thread is basically 'Pol Espargaro still has a job after zero wins in 492 MotoGP starts.'

How can you be rewarded for not doing your job? Life is a mystery.

Sweatypants and Dan Dubeau like this.
  4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

This is the only way. If you do this, they can only get you for 45-60 days max. If they write a letter to the judge and he goes for it (They almost never do in my experience) they might get another month, but if they haven't deposited any money with the registry of the court, there's almost no chance of that happening.

It's frustrating, but that's the business. Just remember that when they demonize the rich privileged landlords. :crackup:

5. Rick Haskins

Rick Haskins New Member

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally depends on local laws.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

showing up is 99% of the battle...

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

We went through the squatter shenanigans last year with our townhouse. The guy who was leasing our townhouse let his psycho girlfriend stay there just long enough for her to be considered a resident even though she was not on the lease. Said girlfriend then proceeds to get a restraining order against our guy so he can't stay at the townhouse. We can't evict her even though she has never paid a dime in rent. New York State is so messed up we can't let the utilities get shut off, again even though she has never paid for the utilities. She even claimed that I threatened her and got a judge to keep me from setting foot in MY townhouse for any reason. One night the poor next door neighbor lets us know that water is coming into their basement from our place, so I have to remotely get my brother in law and a plumber to fix the problem that flooded our basement. She even stole the washer and dryer and sold it. Many more things Ms Crazy did, including delaying the eviction process several times because she claimed she didn't get the legal notices. How do you send a legal notice to someone who never was on the lease and never had a key to the mailbox? The lawyer involved was virtually worthless but we had to keep him so that eviction process didn't grind to a complete halt. Yeah, the system in New York State is beyond screwed up and it's so far in favor of the squatter that the get-tough technique is a good way to wind up in some deep legal trouble. Not to mention that NYS is putting even more lenient laws on the books.:confused:
    The Squatmaster really knew how to work the system and it took us at least seven months to get her out, but the one saving grace that kept us from a mountain of legal bills is that our original renter acknowledged his screw up in getting back together with the Psycho Squatter. He stepped up paid all of the costs associated with getting her out. I had to give him props for that.

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Man, maybe I'm just built different but I truly don't understand these types. Maybe my conception of the laws is wrong. But it feels like, even if the law is skewed way too far in the tenant's direction, they still have to put forth a decent amount of effort to navigate them this effectively right? All the while dealing with the impending eviction that they will ultimately probably realize. Seems like for that amount of work and stress, it may almost be easier to just be a decent fucking tenant lol.

10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I hear ya. All that and effort, planning, and time invested to stay in a place for a short time then what? Rinse and repeat? A lot of work that could just be put into just doing normal life and getting ahead. I actually feel sorry for her being such a messed up state of mind.

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Why couldn't you have busted in w/ the key, and thrown her down the front steps? Don't have a key? Call a locksmith, you own the place and can show proof of ownership.

She calls the cops and you say she broke in... but I doubt she'd call the cops. Once all the legality stuff begins thats when you're screwed.

evakat and Banditracer like this.
  12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

DM Sent.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

in NYC at least, you can only have a locksmith enter a home if you have a cop there too. easy enough to call a locksmith to break into a property that's "not" yours. so not a good answer for nyc anyway. because I'm pretty sure you might end up in the poke once said squatter comes to the door.

thrak410 likes this.
  14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

That's easy to say, tough guy. First of all it's not my style to grab a woman and physically remove her from my property no matter how much she's screwing me over. Not to mention the high risk of jail time for that.
    Aside from that, The bar for proving that you are living at a place in NYS is very low. No need to show a lease agreement. And she called the cops for every little thing so they were there 15 or 20 times. She knew very well how to play the victim and game the system.

Jed likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

even more reason to resort to guerilla tactics. Plenty of opportunity to hire "tough gals" or "soy boys" :) Works well in the current climate of diversity & lawlessness.
    Also my knowledge of real estate law in NYS is lacking but Im sure its a much stricter version of NJ tenants rights laws which might as well be called "robinhood" acts

tony 340 likes this.
  16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Just be glad she wasn't pregnant. You'd be on the 10 o'clock news.

So after all was said and done how much were you in the hole for with rent + utilities + repairs + new appliances + lawyer ?

If you give 100k to any decent financial guy, at the end of the year he will have 10K+ in your pocket and you won't have to answer one phone call or call one lawyer.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think you'd be wrong. That type of psycho knows the ins and outs of the laws better than you do and knows which statements (lies) to make and which buttons to push to get you tossed in jail.

stk0308 and tony 340 like this.
  18. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Really, we were very fortunate with the actual tenant stepping up to pay the legal costs. The most significant thing we had to pay for was the $2000.00 repair associated with the flooded basement. I'm not completely convinced the SquatPro didn't damage it when she removed the washer and dryer to sell them. I can't prove it though. The appliances were left by the previous tenant, so it really was a wash, but still pretty aggravating. She stole a bunch of her ex's furniture too and even tried to get the police to make me let her in the garage. I flat-out told them no, because she never had the key to use it for storage and she would've stolen all of my tenant's sports equipment.
    As for the townhouse, our plan is to keep it till we decide to downsize, but the Squatpocalypse had us rethinking that. Ultimately we decided to keep it. We also decided to extend the lease for the tenant. It was a close call, but he knows he screwed up bigtime and we won't renew if we get even a hint of shenanigans. He's been a model citizen ever since.

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

That sucks!

That really sucks... I'd leave that state. :D Sounds HORRIBLE for so many reasons...

tl1098 likes this.
  20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

My wife is a Buffalo native so I don't see us leaving anytime soon. However, I'd be fine with chopping off New York city and letting them go it on their own :D