1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going, going, going, and gone

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The Harley-Davidson Sportster has been with us since Elvis existed only in black and white, and it’s been part of our culture through evolutions and revolutions and in dozens of model iterations. But nothing lasts forever, and the Sportster platform as we knew it came to the end of its road in 2022. Ultimately, one of the Sportster’s strengths – its honest and lovable air-cooled engine – became its fatal weakness, as its inability to meet Euro 5 noise and pollution regulations put an end to the venerable X engine.

However, H-D has reinvented the platform and has two new Sportsters in its lineup, both powered by Revolution Max engines that were first seen in the Pan America adventure bike. The Sportster S uses the liquid-cooled 1,250cc motor, while the Nightster is powered by a 975cc version.

Harley-Davidson Sportster Hits
    • 1957-70: Iron engine, for its purity and purpose.
    • 1973: XR750 flat-tracker – because it did it so well, for so long.
    • 1976-78: XLCR, as a styling exercise.
    • 1986-2021: The “Evo” engine, for all it did and does.
    • 1991-on: Five-speed transmissions for adding versatility and 30 years of life.
    • 1995-2010: Buells with X-engines for a performance renaissance.
    • 2000-on: Disc front brake, for coming to a halt with certainty.
    • 2004-on: Rubber-mounted engine for teaching an old dog a new trick.
    • 2007-on: Low maintenance trifecta – EFI, hydraulic lifters, belt drive.
    • 2008-10: XR1200, for proving a performance point to the rest of the world.
    • Sportsterpedia.com: For all they offer and all you need to know

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sportsters are ghey

ajcjr and turner38 like this.
  3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Not as gay as a fagrarri.

Sportster is perfect if you want to rip downtown 15 miles for a burger,fries and a beer and don't want your old lady tagging along

Last thing I want is my old lady on the back of my bike

And then afterwards you check the oil level :Poke:

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You’ll never make it 15 miles to downtown…

There are far too many bars on that route that you’ll “break down” at.

tony 340 likes this.
  5. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Shite! I’m old enough to remember when they were the coolest bike to own. Nothing cooler than a ‘66 XLCH Sportster with aluminum rims and a cool ass magneto.

ducnut and dave3593 like this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

1972 they were the fastest bike around (at least I thought so at the time). So fast I crashed a fraternity brothers sportster. :(. Had to get a job delivering pizzas to pay to fix his bike. Kinda wished I hadn't as a left turning old guy killed him a year later on Atherton avenue in State College. :(

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the bike manifacturers.

Kids nowadays don't even want to learn to drive, or own a car. They'd rather stare at a phone.

The market for new bike sales is going to be a smaller percentage of population each year.

Add on top of that everyone's driving around smoking dope or staring at their phone......same reason I don't have a street bike anymore. ....I'd rather cycle on a trail with headphones in and stay in shape,

ducnut and Jon Wilkens like this.
  8. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

9. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

I liked mine an awful lot:

scan0010 (1024x577).jpg

883b (1024x595).jpg

SCAN0110-1 (1024x638).jpg

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The fuel feed on the orange one is different.

ducnut and rohorn like this.
  11. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

XR1000

scan0009 (2)-1 (1024x615).jpg

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. Sabre699

Did you actually throw your leg over those pod filters? :confused:

13. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

They made putting a foot down at a stop on the right side a bit awkward (Not important), but as long as my feet were on the pegs, there was NO leg contact at all.

A guy on a Gold Wing once ask me if those pipes burnt my legs when I ride wearing shorts - I told him only an idiot rides with shorts, so, no, no burning leg issues. He then gave me a really pissy look - I'm guessing he rode with shorts...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    scottn, MachineR1, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Man I don't know, the sport bike scene is blowing up there again the last several years and they are all kids on them. Lots of them starting to do trackdays too. It reminds me of the early 2000's when I started getting into the scene.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

and he's the one with a 64oz sweet tea in a cup holder attached to the handlebars and then bitches about shimmy when takes his hands off the bars:crackup:

rohorn and ducnut like this.
  16. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

You're talking about the guy that hasn't checked the air pressure in his tires since April?

17. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

These were really bad ass motorcycles once, one of the fastest on the road. Cook Neilson started a Sportster test in Cycle magazine, maybe 1967-68, with a line something like "Hey over compensators, this bike is for you."

18. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

I always liked them and my buddy had a iron head that was fun and kinda slow so when eric did the 96 S1 buell with 90hp crank / 68 RWP, I had to have one off the showroom floor and still have it .

dave3593 likes this.
  19. Sabre699

If ever!

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Reminds me of me lol. I bought a used Street Glide last summer. Trailered it home because it was 8 hours away. For the first couple weeks while I was getting used to it, I thought it was kinda slow and definitely not easy to push ar0und the garage. Dawned on me to check the air pressure, and the tires were both less than 10 lbs. Aired them up and it did end up improving things a little.

BrentA likes this.