1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it worth? -08 GSXR 600 engine

Discussion in 'Tech' started by WIslowpoke, Feb 7, 2024.

1. WIslowpoke

WIslowpoke Well-Known Member

I purchased a new-to-me 2008 GSX-R 600 that came with a spare engine with "two bad valves". I don't know which valves. I don't know how "bad", "bad" is, nor do I have the skills or the inclination to find out by myself. I don't know the miles on the engine, but the bike odometer claims about 7,700 miles. Again, how many of those are with this spare engine is unknown to me.

I presume someone with the requisite skills might be interested in a cheap powerplant but I've been wrong before. Looking for input from someone with experience / technical know-how on these engines to chime in here. Should I use the lump of metal as a boat anchor? Something to drop on poor Wiley Coyote? Is there any simple method for gauging the extent of badness in the two bad valves? (which I really don't want to attempt...) Or would I find interest from anyone by posting it for sale in the appropriate subforum here? Appreciate your input.

And no, $3.50 won't take it.

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Subscribed as I'm interested in what people who know what they're talking about say.

But since I'm here, I'd think a quick compression test would give you a high level view of of where the engine is on the spectrum of "totally fucked" to "replace some valves and likely fine".

But two valves (if they're bent) begs the question of what happened with the timing to get them to that spot........and then what the pistons in those cylinders look like.

WIslowpoke likes this.
  3. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

To you, it’s worth whatever you value it as. For someone else, it’s worth whatever they're willing to pay. When those two values equal each other, a deal can be made. Given enough data points we can estimate a “market value” with reasonable confidence but the market is always changing.

It sounds like you don’t need or want this engine for yourself. And it seems you don’t have the skills or interest to fix it yourself or pay someone else to. Therefore, it seems likely that you don’t value it very highly and would be happy for it to find a new owner. Unless the engine has $10k worth of trick racing parts attached to it, a run-of-the-mill GSXR engine that’s damaged is worth scrap value. If I was in your shoes I’d give it away to anyone who’d take it if it meant getting or keeping another racer on the race track.

TurboBlew, WIslowpoke and tl1098 like this.
  4. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

List for a couple hundred bucks and see who bites. You may not know how to fix but I'm sure you can take apart. I am sure there are some people riding them and want spares. Part out engine covers, starter, oil cooler, transmission etc. You don't gave a fortune there but use this opportunity to learn the parts and maybe figure out what's bad out of curiosity. You can't make it worse.

WIslowpoke likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

WIslowpoke likes this.