1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk fasting

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 25, 2017.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

To each their own, but since you are the one mocking it, have you researched it? Lot's of Harvard, NIH, Doctor peer reviewed studies out there on fasting and the benefits of fasting. The stem cell regeneration and autophagy are proven.

Jeff McKinney, 27 and acorn27 like this.
  2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of quack doctors that went to Harvard.
    Peer reviewed by quack Dr friends.

The Todd likes this.
  3. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

2300 results on Pubmed. Almost universally positive.
    But I listen to randos on social media for all my medical advice.

The Todd and 27 like this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Stay 6’ away from the quacks and wrap their heads in cellophane to prevent spreading the dipshittery.

27 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  5. CBRRRRR999

There's a lotta people who would be easier to deal with if their head was wrapped in duct tape

6. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I never follow the popular diets of the time, but I think I read somewhere that the basis of a keto and/or fasting diet is that humans evolved to go long periods of time between finding food. If that were true, then why do you die if you eat too much after fasting? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

my great grandma was the sweetest little old Dutch lady with sky blue loving eyes… miss her… she and great grandpa only spoke Dutch to each other…

for you demented ones to laugh like me…

I have a sister that’s an animal lover… all of them… when she was about 4 yo at great grandmas for a dinner she’s playing with all the rabbits and grandma says “pick one” so she did then went on playing… later at dinner grandma stopped everyone and made an announcement thanking her for picking the wonderful rabbit…. That we were eating :crackup: I still tease her about that 40 years later

they were farmers and raised all kinds of plants and animals for farmer’s market they ran for decades, great people from a great generation

BigBird and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  8. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you nailed it… blue eyed mestizos like me are the hottest :D

Seriously though… I like a bunch of native features and skin tone with blue eyes… used to hang out with a green eyed Mexican that was breathtakingly beautiful… but the Aztecs and Mayans stocks are short… anywhere Viking blood mixed with tribal blood was good…

interesting that I found a similar result like in Northern Italy where the Visigoths mixed with the Mediterraneans and again in Spain… the Iberians have that black curly hair that adorned so many of the mestizos of central and South America too…

genetics fascinates me

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Back on topic… I went 100 hours… so passed the 4 day mark and ate a small portion of that beef roast… it quickly ran through me… I haven’t decided how and or what to eat now… no breakfast so I guess I’m fasting again although not really planned… I feel great and I’d like to drop even more weight so I’ll need to make a new plan soon…

BigBird likes this.
  10. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

For anyone interested in the science behind intermittent fasting I highly recommend checking out Dr. Layne Norton. He disputes most of the health benefits and explains how it actually works for weight loss. Basically, if you cut breakfast out you are taking in less calories but if you cram your old eating habits into say a 5 hour "eating window" there really aren't any weight loss benefits. Calorie reduction or increasing calorie expenditure are the only ways to cause weight loss. Also, a calorie is a calorie. There is close to zero difference between a calorie of carb, protein or fat.

Here is one of his many, many videos on fasting: https://biolayne.com/videos/what-the-fitness/what-happens-when-you-dont-eat-for-24-hours/

https://biolayne.com/videos/video-log/autophagy-and-the-magical-world-of-intermittent-fasting/

https://biolayne.com/?s=fasting

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    The Todd and gixer1100 like this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Congratulations, how much did you drop?

27 likes this.
  12. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

and THIS is it...you drop weight from simple calorie deficit . you can do it through fasting, or you can eat weighed meals etc.

13. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I'll fully admit that I belonged to The Church of Intermittent Fasting for about 3 years. I listened to the many talking heads on YouTube as they made, what I thought at the time, credible claims and arguments for the benefits of fasting. I used myself as an example when trying to convert friends and family. I had been losing weight and felt good but I was also overlooking that I had completely cut out breakfast.

Looking back on it now, the only benefit for me was that it was easier to lower my intake because if I fasted in the morning I could push until 1 or 2 before eating my first meal of lunch. If I had a small snack in the morning it would make me feel hungry within a few hours and I would need to eat some sort of breakfast. So while I absolutely still see a benefit in intermittent fasting as a tool for skipping a meal, I feel it's important to understand "why" it works. It has absolutely nothing to do with ketones, insulin response or some magical fat burning mode that your body activates. I have now gone back to eating breakfast as I want to grow muscle and would rather eat normally and have three balanced meals throughout the day.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  14. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

yep . i eat 5-6x a day - at low double digit bf% - pretty sure no one would accuse me of being fat lol.

15. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

You're an animal. I will be curious to hear how you feel after being back on food for a day. My energy was off the chart this weekend compared to where it has been.

CBRRRRR999 and 27 like this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Thanks man… but I have no idea… I don’t have a scale…. But if my calculations are correct there are 4032 cal in a pound of fat at 9 cal per gram… so if you only burn 4k cal a day, like with a good workout you could only actually lose a pound of fat a day… anything else would be food and or water/inflammation leaving the body… all good things but actual fat burned or lost can’t be that much in only 4 days…

I wasn’t doing it for just for weight loss… I was doing it more for the stem cell activation and the ridding of the bad cells that aren’t properly functioning… just trying to change things up and shock my system a bit…

CBRRRRR999 and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bullshit.

A calorie is not a calorie.

Any Processed foods and refined sugars are absorbed by the body in a much different way than natural foods. Spiking insulin and causing the body to store them as fat.
    Their are WAY too many educated idiots in this world with a degree spouting regurgitated bullshit constantly.

We are all different and when and what we should eat depends on our activities, age and metabolic health.

The longer you eat processed food, sweets and are sedentary the worse your metabolic health will be.
    I believe our bodies like consistency. I can’t see fasting for days on end as being beneficial at this time to my health.
    That being said, I currently eat breakfast at 10:00 ish and supper around 4:00 ish. Giving me a 6/18 eating/fasting window.
    Eating nothing but food that comes from an animal.
    I had gained 25-30 pounds when I went from working in the shop to answering the phone and dealing with idiots all day, was at 6.4 A1c and generally felt like shit. Now I feel great, have lost that 25 plus pounds and my a1c is back in the normal range. Plus, I’m not ever hungry the way I’m eating, don’t have sugar spikes or drops and am generally just healthier.

JMO

TurboBlew, 418, TCJR218 and 5 others like this.
  18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Congrats Danny

Haven’t seen you post on here in a long time. I agree about the bad foods and think the key to a healthier life is definitely getting back to natural foods.

Did you say you’re only eating foods from animals now? That’s interesting….. I’ve only eaten meat since I ended this fast and am thinking about doing that for awhile…

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  19. CBRRRRR999

The amount of calories it takes to digest and metabolize different foods varies from 3% to 30% of the total intake.
    And some foods are easier to convert into body fat.

27 likes this.
  20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I typed out a long response to this… lost it…

I’ll chime back in with more opinions in a few days but I slept a solid 6 hours in a row for the first time in probably 10 years… and woke up attentive and instantly ready… historically I wake up very slow and methodically follow a sequence…

so it for sure shocked my system and I only have positive things to say… I’m not very hungry still and have only eaten about 1000 cal of only beef so far… I think I’ll try only natural proteins and fats for awhile… and continue at a caloric deficit for awhile to drop more weight… I remember and really like this feeling…