1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

ok im jelly now with that. i wish i could find someone where i could go and get some night time range time as ive never done that. My range lets me do most of the shit i want and theres not alot of members. Have you shot in the rain? if you havent you should try it and every once in a while get soaked and do it for shits and giggles :)

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Larping in the rain is next level!

[​IMG]

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

He only has one opinion and IT'S THE RIGHT ONE!

4. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I'm finding the Mete SFT Pro to be the same. I hardly take it to the range anymore because I know I can hit what I point it at. My 43x on the other hand seems to require lots of practice.

gapman789 likes this.
  5. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I have a membership to an indoor range, and for sure my ears ring a bit more than they used to. I've decided to go more often, but for less time each visit.

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Double bag at indoor ranges, I run ear plugs and Howard Leight electronic muffs. Makes a huge difference.

7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I wear both plugs and muffs while shooting, regardless of indoor or outdoor.
    It really helps.

8. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I've been running ear plugs that are NRR 30 and Remington Passive that are NRR 31. Hard to get better than that, but I'll take recommendations for more NRR if it is out there.

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So I've been binging shot show coverage here lately and there were a fair amount of things that caught my attention. So while you all didn't ask for it and probably don't care, it's fun for me so here's my TL;DR shot show recap of actually interesting, or at least attention getting, stuff. And not everything here is necessarily new as of Shot Show but this might be the first shot show they're displayed at.

PWS UXR: Ugly as sin but one of the more interesting designs I've seen in awhile. Can swap from 5.56 to .308 (and a few others in between) with a bolt, barrel, and magwell swap. The magwell is also independent of the grip module/fire control group and it looks like the upper receiver is actually the serialized part. PWS also generally makes solid stuff so I'm hopeful this isn't just a Kel-tec scenario.

Daniel Defense H9: Who doesn't know about this yet? Looks like a stellar way to enter the handgun market. Based on the Hudson H9, known for it's insanely low bore axis. DD bought the patent when Hudson went bankrupt then redesigned the entire gun around the concept of the original but improving as many aspects as possible, including production quality. Only shares one part with the original (one of the springs, don't remember which one but not the recoil spring, something smaller).

Daniel Defense PCC: Apparently it's year of the 9mm for DD. And this seems to be in the opposite direction of the H9. Direct blowback, AR pattern requiring a buffer tube, uses Scorpion mags (as opposed to Glock). Because it's DD it'll inevitably carry a hefty price tag. Seems like all of the cost of a real MP5 (SP5), with less features and performance despite being over 50 years newer. Even in interviews, DD reps didn't exactly sound confident in it.

CZ Scorpion Evo3 .22LR: A Scorpion in .22LR. What else is there to know? This is cool.

Magpul Tmag: Saw a bunch of hype around this and couldn't figure out the excitement until watching the interview with their rep. But it sounds like a fair amount of thought actually went into this. They claim that while others have been making transparent mags for years, it took Magpul this long to develop a clear polymer that had the structural integrity they required. And I actually kind of believe. Seems as though if it were easy, it would have been too obvious that it should have been long ago. And there's a neat feature or 2. Still has a round count on the side with a spring leg painted white to indicate round count so that you can still see even after the rounds disappear into your magwell. Kinda nifty. Might actually have to get one.

FN QD Comp Kits: FN striker pistols kind of suck but offering factory compensator kits is cool and they've got a cool QD system for your comp to make cleaning/maintenance easier. In fact, that seems to be a trend with a few companies this year, getting away from threaded & timed comps. I've personally not looked into pistol compensators that much but this looks new and neat.

LMT Piston AR-10: I believe this is the first time they're offering one of these and I gotta say, there's very few companies I think could challenge HK for king of the piston driven AR-10s, but LMT is definitely one of them.

Canik TTI Combat Master: Ok now Taran is throwing his name behind a Canik. I still can't wrap my head around these things actually being that good but as much of a twat as Taran is, he's got a reputable name and I'd be surprised if he would throw it behind junk.

Trijicon RCR: Basically a closed emitter version of the RMR for those who want to go that route but shares the same footprint.

Trijicon RMR-HD: Lort I done found a new red dot. Everything you love about the RMR, none of the stuff you don't. Top load battery. Forward facing light sensor to auto adjust reticle brightness in changing conditions but also still manually adjustable, both in terms of sensor sensitivity and conventional manual brightness adjustment. Has a donut and dot, which are independently adjustable.

Trijicon Credo 1-10x: May have also just found my new SCAR optic. Same length and weight as the ATACR 1-8 that I just bought and can probably be had for $1k less once the initial launch period ends. Also comes with option to change between red and green reticle in one optic (I don't care but maybe you do). Can't remember the name of the reticle but it looks perfect for this type of optic. Very interested to see how good the 1x is on it. My ATACR is the best I've ever seen so I'm curious if this can keep up there. But Trijicon killed it this year.

Glock G19x MOS: G19 with a factory optic cut and threaded barrel for the first time. Don't get too adventurous Glock.

Glock G49: G17 slide paired with G19 grip. Daring today aren't we?

CZ: Announced a lifetime unlimited transferable warranty on all barrels of all guns made since Jan. 1 2020. That's fuckin cool.

Cont'd below

10. redtailracing

Knight's Armament KS-1 13.7: Yes I'm the only person on this board who gives a shit about KAC. Leave me alone. Heavy profile dimpled barrel, full ambi lower, URX6 rail (that sumbitch aint moving), latest bolt iteration with their patented round lug profiles and now with dual ejectors to absolutely yeet any brass that had second thoughts about evacuating the chamber.

Knight's Armament SR-25 lineup: New bolts that work better with 6.5CM offerings. New 2 chamber brake, also URX6 rail, full ambi lower and also my dream rifle. I actually don't care about most of this, I just want them to release more 14.5" .308 uppers which they're saying they'll actually finally do this year.

Knight's Armament Suppressors: 3D printed inconel, flow through, no more first round flash on larger cans, and now offering thermal shrouds.

HK: Why do they hate us? Yet another year of no releases of an actual M17 clone, M110, or MP7. I am the disappoint.

Christensen Arms MPR .22LR: Another one I'm super excited about. Maybe I'm speaking out of ignorance here (highly likely), but this seems to be approaching the performance of a Vudoo for almost a third of the price. Fully adjustable folding stock, carbon errrythang, TriggerTech Rem700 pattern adjustable trigger, AR-15 grip, absolute, 20, 40, & 60 moa rail options, free float carbon barrel, $1249 MSRP. Yes please.

HUXWRX .22 Suppressor: First flow-through .22 suppressor on the market. Seems like a breakthrough considering how dirty .22 inherently is. Maybe pairs well with aforementioned Christensen .22.

Shadow Systems 9mm Suppressor: Ti & Al construction with removable baffles. Their handguns have seemed to be a great middle ground value for the money between basic, stock Glocks and Glock style factory competition guns like Zev. Curious to see if this suppressor falls well into that category.

VLTOR: Releasing some retro clones this year so nothing groundbreaking but I'm really eyeballing that CASV.

Modlite PL350c: Looks like maybe the performance of larger pistol lights with the footprint of compact weapon lights and the head is compatible with their 18350 pocket light body. Keeping an eye on this for a future piece if it can match the performance of my X300.

Modlite USB-C Switch for Unity Tailcap: More interesting to me that this standardization of USB-C has made into onto actual firearms now and curious if that proves to be a good idea or not. Seems like maybe a less secure connection than more interference fit type connections but what do I know? Unity & Modlite, having the reputations they do, have piqued my interest with their push in that direction.

Geissele SSA 2 stage AK trigger: I couldn't care less but I imagine others might think this is cool as this is still, IMO, the best trigger on the market.

Geissele GFR 6mm ARC: Geissele going full steam ahead with a full lineup of 6mm ARC rifles. I know this round is supposed to be hyper capable but I've seen little to know large scale support for it. And these rifles are rather pricey ($3k+). Geissele PRS style stock (with no comb height adjustment), full ambi lower, dust cover can be used to activate the bolt release when open. All in all, this feels like quite a leap of faith and is priced against some high end proven performers. Curious if this plays out well.

Stealth Arms Platypus: Nothing groundbreaking but new calibers, new grip textures, and now custom serial numbers. Just a couple more small things that nudge guys like me, who already wanted one, just a little bit closer towards a purchase.

Pelican custom foam: Pelican launching a website for you to order custom laser cut foam for their cases. Seems like a no brainer that I'm surprised took this long for them to do. May have to take advantage of this before long, depending on cost.

Surefire RC3: Basically an RC2 with flow-through, resulting in 60% less back pressure. I love my RC2 so I kind of want one of these.

Surefire XR1: Much smaller pistol light, fits flush with end of slide of a G19, has a detachable rechargeable battery pack. Another top contender for my next pistol light.

11. redtailracing

Nightforce Configurable Field Spotting Scope: 6-36, FFP, companion ranging reticles that match their riflescope options, offset (lowered) reticle to create larger window for observing bullet trace, accessory cage that bolts directly to scope housing, lots of bolt-on potential, 33.7 oz. Gonna be hard to choose between this and the Leupold offerings.

Holosun: Honestly, too much to list. These guys are churning out innovation at the speed of light. I'm taking it with a grain of sale in recognition that it's all Chinesium but it's hard to ignore the impact they're having on the market, the general reception from the public, and I'm sure I'll end up with a couple of their offerings before too long.

DesertTech WLVRN: Let's call it MDRX V2. Which isn't a bad thing. A .308 MDRX has been on my want list for awhile. 49 fewer parts than its predecessor, resulting in less weigh, less tolerance stacking, and improved accuracy. Forward eject has been eliminated which now allows for chamber checking (I guess you couldn't do that before?), less gas is required to cycle reliably, they're claiming a 30% improvement in accuracy.

Genesis Gen-12 lineup: I'm not entirely convinced yet that these are anything more than a gimmick but their marketing is starting to work on me and make me curious.

IWI Carmel: Short stroke gas piston, gas regulator, full ambi controls, fully adjustable folding stock, $1799 MSRP. Seems to be a solid contender in the non-AR/AK semiauto market and now that they've actually been on the market for a bit, I'm seeing a lot of positive feedback about them.

MP7 at home: Both PSA & TommyBuilt announcing protos of their own version of a MP7. PSA chambered in 5.7. TommyBuilt seems closer to full production. God forbid HK just give us an actual SP7.

Walther money back guarantee: Walther announcing that if you're not happy with any new gun purchase, or if you have buyer's remorse, your wife get's pissed (they literally said this stuff), you can ship it back to them and they'll refund the entire purchase price, tax included. That's pretty sweet.

And there you have it. Curious if anyone has anything that I missed that they feel merits mention.

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

A few takeaways.
    You have way too much time on your hands.
    You should definitely get out there some year.
    Pictures must accompany each write up.
    And thanks for the info

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

14. redtailracing

Sad part is I really don't. Job promotion a couple months ago has got me working round the clock but we've gotta take time for some fun stuff occasionally, right?

Obviously I nerd out on this stuff. If I had it to do over again, I would have finished my engineering degree when I was younger and gone into product design for a career. I love diving into the details of innovation on new products and seeing what kind of cool ideas people come up with. From disregarding the Lego and Erector set instructions as a kid and doing my own thing, to enjoying building my own race bikes, later learning how to run CNCs and mill my own parts, product design is where I wish I was. And now that I've made my actual career in manufacturing, I end following it up with a similarly critical analysis of how well they do on that end of things once a product has been out a while.

If/when you ever see me bitch about Sig on here, that's why. Incredible innovation ruined by pushing to market too quickly and beta testing what is supposed to be a quality product on their customers. At least when Kel-tec comes up with some off the wall shit, we all know it's the brainchild of some coked up engineer who had an epiphany while doing a line off a stripper's ass and it was then manufactured by his classmates that dropped out of the engineering courses at the local community college and had to learn how to run injection molds instead. And they charge accordingly. End result is fun range toys that you can appreciate for what it is. Sig does the same shit, but charges 2-3x more for the product, fucks up the first generation, fixes it, then leaves owners of said first gen with buyer's remorse when 2nd gen owners don't have the same problem.

RonR likes this.
  15. redtailracing

I actually don't remember seeing that one but I feel like I do recall seeing at least one other IR device. Can't remember what it was called though.

16. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

He's not the only one. I recently bought a very lightly used XC with a red dot, Infinity trigger and five new magazines and I am very happy with it.
    Knowing the gun is better than I am lets me focus on improving technique. More gun, More fun!

StaccatoFan likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Thanks for saving me any curiosity about FNs. I kind of want a second 10mm. But nobody makes one that interests me.

Steak Travis likes this.
  18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

The Striborg SP45A3 they were showing at SHOT looked like a fun little thumper for a lot less than the LWRC option. I've got a ton of .45 I need to shoot through something:crackup:

19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Just go dry fire one. If you are used to hammer fired triggers, especially Staccatos, an FN trigger might actually make you vomit. They’re garbage.

A 509 variant was on my short list for the last purchase. I liked the gun in hand quite a bit. I couldn’t bring myself to pay for a premium gun, relative to its competitors, knowing that I was going to have to drop another $200 on an Apex trigger before I even shot it.

20. redtailracing

Dude you don’t even have to be used to hammer fired triggers. While I prefer hammer, I have far more time on striker and they still make me vomit. I’ve owned a couple and fired a couple more and every single one was in a league of its own for terrible. And I’ve shot a Hi Point. I’m almost impressed by how bad they are. And this is all coming from a hardcore FN fanboy.

Steak Travis and GixxerJohn011 like this.