1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my F250 dying? LOL

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

It sounds like the issue you are having is the DPF/ Oxycat filter getting clogged, and not necessarily anything to do with EGR. You might try just replacing the dpf and associated sensor before you start screwing around with other parts of the system.

I guess a lot of new Fords (like my 2011 E350) employ adaptive (learning) algorithms for controls. I’ll spare you my whole rage-rant on this, but basically after you fix something you want to go through the prescribed set of re-learn procedures. Not sure on diesels, but on my truck the idle and transmission settings are adaptive, and can go a little wonky after a battery reset or anytime I change anything.

2. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Robby-Bobby look inot getting your DPF filter "burned". There are companies popping up all over and that is all they do. We a company in Lakeland but that might be a bit far for you. Call any of the equipment companies up that way and ask if they have someone that cleans thier filters and who they use.

3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Just delete it, no more of the truck breathing its own farts, no more filter that is getting clogged up, no more shit fuel economy from said aftertreatment system using an excessive amount of fuel to perform regens. You will notice an increase in performance, more stable and possibly better fuel economy and eliminate the most expensive items to repair/replace on the truck.

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Your truck is toast. Give it to someone who likes Fords.

pickled egg likes this.
  5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I love my 2017 F350 (second one). I have owned many Ford Diesels earlier years and the 6.7 is a solid motor. Im in Cali and there is no way I can delete mine. They are coming after shops hard around here who would do it. With the miles adding up you are bound to have an increase in maintenance. If you do consider trading it in or selling it, if you delete it will drop its resale value. Yes it will run better, get better mileage... But will limit who would buy it when you sell it.

Let us know what the code is. You really should have your own code reader. They arent too expensive these days. Always good to have one in the garage especially when you have a high mileage vehicle.

6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

It will help for sure. Longevity and mileage, drivability.

Helps more if you do it from new..:D

Phl218 likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

8. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Not specific to the question by the OP, but there is a young guy on social media that goes by Flying Wrenches. He's a factory Ford mechanic and does alot of videos on superduty's and 6.7's. He seems pretty sharp. I bring it up because he recently did a video on replacing an entire engine on a high mileage truck versus fix and repair. Yours doesn't sound too crazy high on mileage. You might check him out and see if any of his videos help. Good luck. Let us know what the fix is. I just turned 116k on my '17. I know sooner or later I'm heading into the repairs phase. With new trucks approaching 80-100k, I'll keep it going as long as I can.

StaccatoFan and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  9. Chonchito

Chonchito Active Member

I've put lots of miles on 6.7's towing heavy equipment over mountain roads. They are pretty good if you do a few upgrades

Delete kit and keep the tune at 50hp
    Replace the CP4 at your mileage and make sure you put a disaster relief kit it
    Carry a few fuel injector lines in glove box (they are cheap and eventually crack)

If you are having shifting issues after deleting most shops will tell you it the tranny, from my experience it has been solenoids in the transmission, problem is when you change one you need someone with proper ford computer to program. Personally I would just change entire solenoid set, then the reprogramming is easier and they are all new. Think it cost me $1500 and I put another 100k on the truck before selling @ 270,000 miles. I actually regret selling it.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

If you do delete it, I recommend taking pics as you go, and keep all parts.

Even though people are quick to say "delete it", nobody will be quick to pay you much for the truck after you do. I learned that from experience. People don't want anything other than stock when they buy. There might be a very small market that does, but most won't give you jack if it isn't OEM.

11. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Not sure where you live. But, in my neck of the woods, people looking for these trucks with knowledge about them, want that work done beforehand. Also, folks around here keep their trucks after the work is done. Most don’t want to pay ridiculous $$$ for new trucks that will require the same thing eventually. That said, doesn’t matter anyway, diesels on the highways are on the clock. They will completely banned in a decade or so. Hydrogen engines are on the horizon. GM and Toyota are teaming up to produce them. Prepare for your 250k F250.

12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

And some shops will just tell you to take it else where if they see its deleted. They dont want to risk the ire of the EPA and DoJ.

Also ask the guy in NJ about trying ot sell his deleted truck on FB and the state sent him a notice to either return it to stock or crush it.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Well, that is Noo Joisey, where everyday citizens are deemed too incompetent to pump their own gas…

14. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Hogwash on the Hydrogen trucks. The last I checked the only economical way of getting it was thru splitting it from natural gas. That doesnt score "green points". And the whole green revolution is on its deathbedb anyway thank god.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

It’s coming, hogwash or not. The green revolution isn’t dead either, they’re just reshaping it. Don’t ever think those folks are just giving up, they won’t.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

As long as they don’t see the natural gas, the eco-tards will be blissfully smug in their planet-saving fantasy. You don't see EV drivers fretting about the fact that their cars are mostly powered by coal.

cincigp, tl1098, AC1108 and 1 other person like this.