1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM demo mode?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I read the 890 Adventure comes with a demo mode that enables all the bells and whistles for the first 1500 miles then it disables them again unless the customer pays extra.

Lol this is a thing?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You said demo mode and I thought Xaus and Bautista were “testing” them…

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:crackup:

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Ya gotta pay to play.

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

money grab, been happening for years in the auto industry. Have you saw the pay to play for remote start and other options on cars? just stupid. If we stop paying for this crap, they will stop offering pay to play. Ski

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If i remember correctly for the dirt bikes a ktm dealer has to take it off demo to start the warranty period. It's there to prevent grey market sales i guess?

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yeah.

I'm sure nobody has figured out how to hack any of this ;)

8. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

The upshift quick shifter is on the house, but every auto-blip downshift will be a $0.25 micro transaction... Please consider upgrading your KTM iKloud membership for hourly updates.

Wingnut, 23103a, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  9. skidooboy

Built in theft deterrent... If they dont unlock them from the dealer, I believe they will only run for an hour (on the meter) or so. Once shut off after the time lock expires, the bike will not restart without the dealer access code. I saw it happen to a competitor at an off road race, mid race, when he stalled a newly purchased bike. If you dont have a good reason for the dealer to unlock it, once you go to a dealer for unlock, they can search for stolen vehicles prior to activating the unit. They leave the thieves in the waiting room, saying service will bring it right out, while they call the police, to have them meet and greet there, at the dealer. ;) Ski

Once a Wanker.. and stk0308 like this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

So, if you steal from a person who purchased it then there's no issue, but if you steal it from a dealer, you have a problem after a bit?

How many thieves is this really gonna affect??

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

When someone buys a vehicle it seems reasonable they should expect to get 100% of said vehicle.

Hope people hack the hell out of them.

Sabre699 and brex like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

[​IMG]

13. skidooboy

every one that breaks into a dealer and steals bikes. It happens everyday. Ski

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Perhaps ... but thefts from private owners are exponentially higher.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  15. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I’m stealing this quote.

skidooboy likes this.
  16. Glenntly

Glenntly Member

I think this has been a thing for a few years on KTMs, maybe 2017+? I was set on buying a Super Duke as my next street bike, until I realized you had to pay extra for the "tech pack" or "track pack" that merely software unlocks stuff already on the bike. Quickshifter, some extra riding modes, etc. Didn't see a known way to unlock via open source code, so no Super Duke for me. I'd rather keep riding an old sv650 than support this business model...

Sabre699, skidooboy, BrentA and 3 others like this.
  17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Yes, and more. I had a friend get a good deal on a new Superduke R at a dealer he didn't usually deal with. First weekend riding it, he gets to about 200-300 miles (I can't quite remember) on the clock and it shut down. Then would not restart. Stranding him, on a Sunday, in the middle of no-where Illinois. Come to find out, the dealer he bought it from didn't give it the security code to allow it to continue riding past that "theft deterrent" mileage.

Steeltoe, skidooboy and BrentA like this.
  18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I think its more to protect the OEM from floorplan mismanagement. Arctic Cat has them on their units. You do not get the code until you register the unit - which triggers the unit being paid off. They would run I something like an hour before it locked. We had a Arctic Cat SXS lifted from us years back - the kids called us a couple days later saying it wont run and throwing a code. Told them to sit tight and I'll run up there with the scan tool and get it going for them - showed up with the police and boom. It was very satisfying to say the least :)

Steeltoe and tl1098 like this.
  19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

This is virtually zero difference between having to go into the dealer to have them unlock a feature and having to go to the dealer to have them reflash the ECU to add a feature. except that with the former, at least you can try it for a little while first to see if you like it. But if you go to the dealer and have them reflash your ECU to add a feature, you can bet they ain't going to give your money back if you decide you don't like it.

20. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Completely different subject. What you are talking about are add ons for the superduke. When you buy new from the dealer ktm/husky dirt bike or street bike the bike needs to be a legit sale and then the dealer gets the code from Austria to unlock the bike/ecu so you can ride the bike normally.

The tech pack they sell is an upgrade they usually sell for $750 for the streetbikes. They also can upload/unlock the akro map which is needed when tossing on a full exhaust which is usually about 1 hour labor of charges.

Glenntly likes this.