1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide GSX-R 600 or ZX-4RR

Discussion in 'General' started by suzuki_steve, Jan 8, 2024.

1. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

I have been riding for years but recently got into track riding and did 2 track days last year. I am hooked, way more fun, and IMO way more safe. My current ride is a Kawasaki Z900. It is a great street bike, but leaves me unsatisfied on the track. I think it has too much power for a beginner track rider. I did a couple laps on my buddy's R3 and was shocked at how much faster I learned on the R3 than the Z900.

I know the correct answer would be to keep the 900 and pick up a track prepped ninja 400 and rock that, but I really do not want to own two motorcycles. For that reason I am looking at picking up a super sport that will spend equal time on the track and street this year. I am leaning towards the ZX-4 because I think it will be the best teacher, but it is hard to ignore the $/hp price you pay for it. Plus, I live in California, so modding it, to its full potential (tune, exhaust) is not easy.

Last thing, you are probably asking why Suzuki, why not ZX6 to ZX4? Answer is I just love Suzuki motorcycles and if they made a good 400cc I4 the question would be GSX-R 400 VS 600. I know the Kawi has ABS and the Zuk does not. I will be disabling the ABS on the Kawi for the track if I get it.

Let me know what you think.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I4 400cc is always the answer.

3. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

Gsxr 600/750 parts are easy to find and readily available. Also it’s been around a while so base setup is easy to figure out. If cost is important then the gsxr will be cheaper to operate. Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Always remember the first guiding principle of track riding…don’t take out anything you aren’t willing to leave in the track dumpster.

The reality is switching a bike between street and track duty (meaning property and legally) is a pain. Buy a used track bike and flog the thing. If you aren’t willing to have more than one bike I’m not sure you are in the right place (says the guy with a garage full or projects and beaters).

Murcielago311, Senna and rd400racer like this.
  5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Any 600 is the easiest choice.
    Sure the 400 is a fun bike, but it weighs about the same, and the 600 has about 30 more horsepower,has way better suspension brakes etc.

For the track days a super sport is great for track days that what it's made for,all you need is good tires.
    I ride mine on the street all the time,and do track days no problem, it's a fun bike on the track.
    By way another good choice would be an sv650

SundaySocial and Sabre699 like this.
  6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

what year GSXR600? that makes a big difference in this question

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why? Is one BNG better than the others?

notbostrom, 03RumbleBee and brex like this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

And there you have it. (Clapped out of course.) :D

SundaySocial likes this.
  9. Chazzz

Chazzz Active Member

9 Years of track days on a 600cc (CBR 600RR, then ZX6R). the 2023 Season I bought my first little bike, a ninja 300. I can honestly say I've had more fun beating the piss out of that little 300. I've learned more in 1 year riding that 300 than I have in my previous years on the 600. I'm within 1 second of my PB lap on the 300 vs my 600 at my local track. I still have my zx6r, still keeping the 300. Both tons of fun, if I could only keep 1, I'd keep the smaller bike. But that's just me =)

the 300 is also WAY more budget friendly. Whole weekend on 5 gallons of Gas. 12 track days on front tire with life left. 10 track days on rear tire, almost ready for trash, might be able to squeak out another weekend pending the track.

You'll have fun regardless of what you buy =)

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't have the answer for you but I have a couple of remarks:
    • It's one thing if you can't afford two motorcycles. But if you don't want to own two, it's your subconscious telling you this is not the sport for you.
    • If you get the Kawasaki, you're going to need a new screen name. So I guess it's Suzuki. Hey, maybe I had the answer after all. :D

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/gsx-r400/1990/

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Boy don't make me slap you.

13. gixxerboy55

14. gixxerboy55

I wonder if he ever put that hitch on his civic.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I would recommend you look at picking up R3/Ninja 300 or 400 that's been wrecked and written off by the insurance because the fairings were damaged. It's a cheap buy-in for a second bike and if you mangle it at the track...who cares? You just get another.

I have a Ninja 250 track bike with spares that I'll probably sell for $1k (near Nashville). A coworker is selling me his 2020 R3 streetbike for $2k that he went down on...only damage is the fairings.

Chazzz likes this.
  16. gonriding

gonriding Well-Known Member

How about a cripple triple? Deactivate one cylinder of the 600, less power to overwhelm you, better tire life, same handling. Probably find one for less than $2k
    And you can still do whatever you want to your track bike in California.
    Oh, and my vote is zx4rr. Love that sound

17. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

Yup put a hitch on it. Rented a uhaul trailer for my last event. Picking up a Kendon this weekend.

Phl218, Sabre699, HPPT and 3 others like this.
  18. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

Does it matter? They haven't changed it since 2011! But to answer your question something that is 2011 or newer with low mods.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  19. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

I can definitely afford two bikes, but I don't want to sink my money in two bikes. I bought my Z900 last spring as a place holder bike. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get a GSX-R or a GSX-S 1000GT. I had a naked bike in the past and missed the open wind feeling. I put a givi top case on the Z and did some day touring with it, but decided that I ultimately like track riding more than touring.

20. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Even if money wise it seems the 600 is cheaper up front, trust me the 400 will be more rewarding in the end. It will easily be as fun and you will learn more quickly. Besides, it's MUCH easier to look forward to a 'bigger faster' bike than to go the other way.

Don't discount the new Aprilia 457 twin - that could be killer too.