1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated Suit Airbag Feedback

Discussion in 'General' started by Need_4_Speed, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Need_4_Speed

Need_4_Speed Well-Known Member

I need new gear for the upcoming year and I don't see any recent threads discussing suits and airbags.

I'm looking to buy a custom fit suit and boots.

For the suit I think I've narrowed my choices down to two options: Dainese Misano 3 suit with the D-Air system or Tech-Air Race/5/10 and a Heroic suit. I'd prefer something built into the suit for ease of getting it on/off, but it looks like my choices are pretty limited.

I'm a bit confused with the new Dainese suits that were announced last month, it looks like the air bag has a lot less coverage now. Also, the suit isn't currently available for the custom fit treatment, but will be eventually.

For the Tech-Air system, it would be nice to have the extra coverage of the 10 but I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. I'm not sure of the pros/cons between the Race and 5.

I'm leaning towards the Tech-Air system and a custom Heroic suit, but not sure which Tech-Air model.

I also need new boots because my Sidi Mag-1's are just too narrow. I'm leaning towards the Alpinestars Supertech R Vented boots.

Am I missing anything in with my decisions here? Does anyone have some good feedback on the Tech-Air 10? What is everyone else running?

2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The Tech Air 5 is seperate from the suit, meaning it doesn't connect to the suit. The plus is you can wear it under anything that provides enough room for the vest to expand. The con is that it is more of a pain to get a suit on. A lot of the custom suit manufacturers build suits that will accommodate a vest. I wear a Bison suit with the Tech Air 5.

Once a Wanker.. and 418 like this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

Yup, putting mine on is a 2 person job. I tried. I really did,

4. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The trick is to tuck the vest into the suit and then put it all on together. Kind of a pain but it allows you to do it by yourself. Bison did a video on this otherwise I would have never figured it out.

418 likes this.
  5. drewthere

drewthere Well-Known Member

I went through two dair suits. I love the smell and quality of the leather. I dealt with the delays and mistakes they made sometimes. Would have bought again but didnt like the seevice feedback i received last time. My boots also started falling apart dont know if its from the heat in south florida and i didnt like the reply either.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

I've seen this, still can't do it right. :crackup:

7. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I went with the Tech Air Race and custom Bison suit this year. The Race vest zips into the suit, so it’s easy to get the suit on and off. The only problem is that apparently it is no longer being sold, so you need to find a leftover. The Bison vendor took the measurements while I was wearing the airbag vest, so the suit fits pretty good.

8. Need_4_Speed

That’s another confusing thing, I’ve heard that the Tech-Air Race was discontinued, but it still on the Alpinestars website.

Heroic will also use measurements with the vest on and they also have a double front zipper option which I hope will make getting the suit on over the airbag easier.

9. Need_4_Speed

You aren’t the first person to mention that their quality is going downhill.

10. Need_4_Speed

Is anyone using the Tech-Air 10 and care to chime in on the experience?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well..,

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I have been wearing Dainese for 20+ years- I would not hesitate on the quality.

Getting the airbag repacked- I send my suits to Anthony's Leatherworks in Costa Mesa, CA. He is a Dainese dealer and he's right down the street from the facility that does the repacking. So he walks it in and then picks it up. He will do all of the leather repairs as Dainese will only replace panels if they are no longer serviceable. Usually about a 4 week turnaround but the suit comes back looking brand new. My black suit (the 7 year old one) has been crashed and fixed by him probably 3x.

I'm on my 3rd set of in-boots, both have survived multiple crashes. I was using the 15 year old pair at the kart track and the soles started coming off of them, so they are pretty much done, although I could probably have them re-soled for kart track use. I generally do a track day or race once a month, year round FWIW.

I had the 15 year old suit zipper replaced at Barber by Sage Tailoring, The airbag light stopped coming on so I threw them in the washing machine, then rubbed lotion all over them (it puts the lotion in the basket!) and they are also relegated to Kart track /minimoto duty.

Interestingly enough, I found the broken wire in that suit, I'm curious if I soldered it up would the airbag work having been through the washing machine? I am willing to bet it will.

It's a little easier for me as I fit in off the rack suits. Can't comment on the others as I've never used them.

13. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Hold of a bit on the d-air, they have a new 3 fire system due out shortly. You can now apply for the race program which can potentially get your discount on the mugello rr to less than 3k. Look on the website to register for the race program.

418 likes this.
  14. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Tech 10 also is seperate from the suit as it does not physically connect to the suit. You would need to buy a bigger suit to accommodate the tech 10 as it takes up a little space. It also take a couple times getting in and out of your leathers to get used to. Well worth it though.

TSC_113 and 418 like this.
  15. 418

418 Expert #59

Shut up. I knew it would be you or DaveK too. :crackup:

Kicking a man down when he's at his lowest.

HPPT likes this.
  16. Need_4_Speed

Their new system does look interesting (3 activations with user replaceable gas cartridges), but the coverage area looks pretty minimal. I’m guessing it’s fine if you run at FIM approved tracks with proper run off.

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/d-air/tech-specs.html

17. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Check out the Bison page for some feedback on the various airbag options. Rob did a nice job summarizing them. In speaking with an Astars rep at the end of last year, I was advised to hold off on getting a Tech Air 10 suit and just keep using my Tech Air Race. They said something new would come out soonish. As far as I’m concerned, the Tech Air Race is great if you can find one.

18. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

I have an XL practically brand-new Tech Air Race for sale. With two LED cables.

19. G2G

G2G I feel the need

If interested I have a brand new Tech 10 airbag suit still sealed in the box for sale.

20. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I wear a TechAir 10 in a custom made Mithos suit. It takes a bit but I can dress myself and my dick is long enough to pee with it on (barely:p). The neck is small and grabs my throat, but my biggest complaint is it doesn't breathe at ALL. Anything past 80* ambient and I'm suffering in the pits, like wearing a plastic bag. I'm not super sensitive to heat and it doesn't bug me racing, but as soon as I hit pit lane, ugh.

I'm afraid I'm going to stop wearing it.

My GF wears the Race in a custom Mithos suit and it helps that it attaches to the suit. She can get it on and off by herself a bit easier than I can. She wants more hip coverage like the 10 has, but sees me suffering and changed her mind.

I think I'm going to try the Race, and hope it works in my suit.

418 likes this.