1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

ducnut likes this.
  2. Cooter!

Great point! I feel that way about new car tech. How long before no one can park themselves? Manual trans are already an old man 'I remember when'.

It makes me so mad!:mad: I just want the multi-thousand pound machine to do what I direct it to do! Nothing else. No buzzers, No knudging me in or out of a lane, no adding a distracting screaming and bright warning if the guy in front of me slows down a little, no Macarena button pushing to just get it to start and move, no shutting off the brights on a dark country road when a sign reflects, no giant bright screen showing me 'almost' exactly what is outside the dang windshield, thats why the windshield is CLEAR. Just NO.

3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I saw the hole in the fuselage and they’re really lucky that the fasten seat belt light was still on. A kid in that row had his shirt sucked off of him! It was a really large hole.

ducnut likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Please keep your seat belt fastened in case we experience any rough air or sudden holes in the aircraft. Thank you.

- Alaska Air

KneeDragger_c69, BigBird and ducnut like this.
  5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

In the movies (I know, right) when the plane decompresses everything gets sucked out into space. Luggage, paper, people...etc....BS?

6. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

effect is dependent on cabin pressurization level. the more altitude, the more cabin pressurization to help you breathe, the bigger pressure differential inside to outside, the faster the internal atmosphere escapes

Quicktoy likes this.
  7. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

when you open the hole. opposite of a submarine when the sea rushes in.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So this is interesting as I didn't even realize this initially. Apparently it wasn't the exit aisle emergency door. It was a mid-aft door that is disabled by Boeing unless needed that you can't even tell is a door from the inside. I guess they didn't "deactivate" it sufficiently, ehh?

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 2.27.00 PM.png

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's not really a door, it's a hole in the fuselage plugged by skin where an optional door would go. If it was a real door, it would be a plug type that can't come out. @Motofun352 They were climbing out of 14,000 feet- differential pressure at that altitude / point in the climb is probably 4-5 PSI. Once you get in the higher flight levels, Differential Pressure is more like 8+ PSI. That would definitely create more of an effect on the decompression.

This could have been real bad, it's -40 above about 28,000 feet and with a 300 Knot + wind blast it would be a big mess. That was a damn big hole! The ones I've seen from fatigue cracking or other problems are mostly the size of a deck of cards or a small paperback book.

YamahaRick, mattys281-2 and ducnut like this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Even I know that you're supposed to throttle down at Max Q!

Gino230 and ChemGuy like this.
  11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Say what you will about Boeing, the Max trim system and such....but they can build a plan that will keep flying with a medium sized hole in the fuselage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gino230 and ducnut like this.
  12. Cooter!

^^^ I'm not buying a passenger ticket for THAT ride!

BrentA likes this.
  13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was curious about this. At what altitude would an incident that occured here cause an "explosive decompression" that would be catastrophic to the aircraft? Or are they designed to be resilient to that even at cruising altitude? I'm just wondering how much worse this would have been if it had happened at cruising altitude and not lower where it did.

I remember watching that airline disasters show a while back about that United 747 that blew a hole in the side of it going to Hawaii when I think a cargo door busted loose and ripped the plane wide open but amazingly held together and was able to land. It says on Wikipedia that the incident occurred passing 22,000 ft.

[​IMG]

ducnut likes this.
  14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Aloha airways fligh 243 in 1988. 737 decided to become a convertible. Lots of short flights causes stress fractures from constant “breathing” of the fuselage.

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I wonder how close the door or whatever you want to call it was to hitting the rear stabilizer when it came loose?

16. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Even on very small airplanes, skydivers don’t come close to the tail at all.

I’m curious if they were having pressurization trouble with that 737 Max. It seems unlikely to me that it just exploded, but I’m not an engineer. We’ve had brand new airplanes that we chased all kinds of pressurization issues from poorly joined parts, etc. It’s shocking how much an airplane leaks. When maintenance pressurizes one on the ground you can hear air coming from everywhere.

ducnut and Gino230 like this.
  17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The big problem with that accident (as I recall) was that the debris went through 2 engines and they were very heavily loaded, so they were having a difficult time maintaining altitude on only 2 engines.

Also one of the dangers with an explosive decompression is that the pressure may not equalize quickly enough throughout the structure, causing bucking of the floor or other areas. Which could affect control cables and hydraulic lines.

ducnut likes this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Apparently there were pressurization warnings, and the craft was prohibited from flying over large bodies of water.

19. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

But flying over land was ok?

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I guess ETOPS doesn't matter much if the roof flies off.

George Carlin : "In the unlikely event..." This is a very suspect phrase, especially coming, as it does, from an industry that is willing to lie about arrival and departure times. "In the unlikely event of a sudden change in cabin pressure..." ROOF FLIES OFF! "... an oxygen mask will drop down in front of you. Place the mask over your face and breathe normally." Well, I have no problem with that. I always breathe normally when I'm in a 600 mile-an-hour uncontrolled vertical dive. I also SHIT normally! RIGHT IN MY PANTS!

ducnut likes this.