1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too old to race?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by dave3593, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Kayla and cunningson and demario and a host of other wee lads and ladetts have checked out on me and not that i could have done anything about it lol . I did pass one of the teeny terrors at road atlanta front straight after its bike stalled , swear to goodness it feels like i am in that 1970s movie Trilogy sometimes when they go by pulling the paint off my fuel tank . Wera has the best organization to bring up the young talent and Kudos to Mongo and evelyn .

flygirl and rd400racer like this.
  2. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

55 Yo in March. I raced my 1k at Willow Springs for the first time back in April. I did ok,until about the halfway point,then went backwards fast sucking air. I plan to race my 01 R6 in the Dino Class here in California this season,and maybe a few rounds on the 1k. Trying to get healthy,no booze,exercise daily. I don't have any high expectations,but I need to stay busy,and off the couch!! 342228021_908632573572186_6031064974992177958_n.jpg 272341285_658810731971221_6296623408750822879_n.jpg

3. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Dont let up to much on the good Bourbon , I find that i get scheming more better
    I forgot to mention Ryan Barbour and Brogin Richards that i was impressed with their track savvy .

ToofPic likes this.
  4. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'm 60 and I stopped roadracing about 3 yrs ago after my 5th concussion (Two were from roadracing and three were from other sports). I still have the competetive fire for roadracing and I can't see myself cruising around just to be on the track, so I decided a few weeks ago to go back to my roots and I plan do some dirt riding in preparation for the Northeast 24hr Challenge race. My objectives are to not die, to not get a major injury and to finish the race. I'm on a team of six riders this year, but if it goes extremely well and my body can take it, I'll sign up for the over 50 Ironman class next year. My entire approach will be to pace myself to finish. My choice of bike and setup will be to make the riding the least physically demanding as possible. A light bike with mellow power delivery and a Reckluse clutch are the main things I'm thinking about right now.

5. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

Of course I remember.I only had alot of beer not too much beer.
    That old bike is quite bent!Beside that it's just time for a change.
    I'm back to playing hockey a couple times a week trying to get the kinks out of my body and increase my flexibility.
    I shall return

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I beat Jigalov once……..ONCE! :D

7. ToofPic

You would love Harescrables!! You can hear those little shits coming a mile away! Wringing the necks off some 85cc.You start hearing "Hey!" "Hey!" Which in 12yo means get the hell outta my way old man! :(:crackup:

britx303, gapman789 and rd400racer like this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'm going to share my top secret single track victory strategy, but only with mature riders. If you were born after 1969, stop right here. If you find a pesky two stroke on your ass, just let him yell and angry rev until you get to the bottom of a steep, slippery hill. Then come to a complete halt for a moment. Use your four stroke torque to chug up the hill while enjoying the scent of frying two stroke clutch plates drifting up from behind.

tl1098, rd400racer, ToofPic and 2 others like this.
  9. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

TommyD, how did the H2 get bent?

10. britx303

I was never warned about the upcoming riders screaming, when I did my first HS. In my mind, even though I was slow AF, it was still a race. When I started hearing the yelling behind me, I got pissed and ready to fight :crackup: Glad I didn’t make more of a jackass of myself that day, and learned that was a thing :D

rd400racer and ToofPic like this.
  11. ToofPic

:crackup:Hell Yea its a thing!! They can/will get pissy! I only moved when there was room,though. I stopped one HS at Monster Mountain to help a kid who was pinned under his bike screaming and crying.He was eventually ok.I crashed damn near the same area next lap.Got knocked plum silly,and lay there.Didnt nobody stop to see if I was ok?:(:D I miss doing them! Going through chicken houses,under roads,river crossings,fun times!

britx303 likes this.
  12. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

Do you think I still will know how to ride? Life hit me hard and I’m just wondering if I just go hop on the bike and go the muscle memory will kick in and I’ll just be a little rusty.

13. flygirl

It might me. You never know

dave3593 and ToofPic like this.
  14. ToofPic

You and MetalHead could come back as a couple :D

Banditracer and flygirl like this.
  15. britx303

We’ve got the hangover hare scramble this weekend, but I’m too tired to even think about it :(. That one’s always been a fun one

ToofPic likes this.
  16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

It will come back after a few laps. I'm just looking to have a little fun on the track and to tell a few lies about how fast I used to be in the pits.

ToofPic and flygirl like this.
  17. Yamanatic

Yamanatic Active Member

If tarmac is your preferred surface, might I suggest doing a few Track-Days to see if competition is still a viable option. I quit racing about 10 years ago (in my 60's I lost that overwhelming drive to win) and now enjoy Track Days since there is always someone to 'race' with, and there is LOTS more track-time. The clubs I ride/drive (mostly do cars now {I have a Miata}, since my back surgery) often have 5 or 6 twenty minute sessions which is plenty enough time to get dialed-in and work on racing the track (I see the track as the thing to beat) instead of the guy in front.

At 70, the reaction time and physical prowess are sure not what the used to be, nor does one heal so fast - hurt for a month after a low-speed crash on the Trials bike last year. Another reason I quit racing was for the safety of others; I was in a few situations at my last WERA race where being in the middle of a pack and 'bumping' another rider demonstrated how much easier a bit of traffic can turn into a crash trying to overcome the limitations of advanced age; I would feel much worse if I caused someone else injury than myself.

tl1098 and ToofPic like this.
  18. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

right clip on came off at the entrance to t1 at nelson ledges.Not sure why but I blame my mechanic,me.
    You can guess things went bad from there.Bike tumbled end over end sideways bending the forks and rear end pretty severe.While it and I where tumbling I caught a footpeg in the back between the shoulder pad and back pad.Went in as far as a footpeg can go.
    I'll be back but I don't thing the h2 will be back.As I said it's time for a change.

19. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

YIKES. I'm glad you're recovering.

20. flygirl

You can’t get him out off the couch in the RV retirement home