1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

150 rounds later with the USP40.

Neat gun; it ate everything it was fed without issue.

But(t), 40 Short & Weak sucks. If I’m gonna take that kind of abusive recoil, I’ll get a Glock 20 in 10mm instead (and shoot 40 S&W through it, too).

The manual of arms is cool, the decocker/safety combo is neat though the paddle style magazine release will take some training to get a handle on. And I can’t hit anything with this gun. The DA/SA trigger is actually good, smooth and consistent (ze Germans and all), but I’m wondering if that massive hook on the bang switch itself is causing me to aim high and left, constantly. I've never had a problem hitting targets with a pistol of any kind, ever, really. But this, ugh - I tried different grips, different trigger positions &etc., but if it's more than 10 yards, I'm probably not gonna do well with it. I was shooting a .380 between sets with the H&K and had no problem smacking steel which brings me to conclude that there's something with this gun that I don't agree with.

More training to come. The only reason I went with this gun, other than it was cheap, was the stash of 40 Short & Weak that was acquired at a garage sale, also for a really cheap price, just had to wait a few months to find a gun that it could feed. :D

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Well….well…..well…..look at this historical image of a non tax stamped SBR!!! Noticed it today, and here of all places :crackup:to quote Greta….”how dare you?!” :p

Attached Files:

Sabre699 and Clay like this.
  3. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

Just picked up the Canik Mete SFT Pro (the middle one) and the Sig p322 (on the right) in the last couple of weeks. The Sig came with a Romeo Zero and I have since put a Holosun 507k on the Canik and a 407k on the G43x (on the left). Shooting with red dots is way better for me, happy to have made the transition. I also put a Romeo 5 on my AR a couple days ago.

I had inherited a 1990s Ruger P85 MkII that was the night stand gun, but now that is the role for the Canik. The Canik is just ridiculously good, highly recommend trying one out. I was originally in the market for the Walther PDP Pro, but couldn't justify the extra $ after shooting them side by side.

I use the G43x for carry and the P322 for plinking. Went to the range about 5 times in the last week and a half since getting all this stuff.

Attached Files:

gapman789 likes this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine shot my Canik Rival this past weekend....First few shots, he was like "holy shit, I'm buying one of these...What the hell it is again?"

I also have the Canik MC9 for edc.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Ok someone needs to buy me a Canik to put through some paces. Not that I even know what the hell I'm doing but my curiosity has been piqued by these things.

They're cheap. And they're Turkish. Not typically a recipe for success. And while I know plenty won't agree with me on this, I've found you typically get what you pay for. Sure some people get lucky and buy the harbor freight tool that somehow actually works well and stands up to hard use for quite a while. But with a decent enough sample size, more often than not, product costs on hard use items generally follow performance. Sure there's a diminishing return the higher you go, but in general terms it tracks. But literally every person I've heard talk about Caniks sing their praises. And the math ain't mathing (at least in my experience). So I want to run one side by side against my HKs, CZs, & my buddy's decked out Glock (as much as I hate Glock, it's still a good benchmark) and see if it really stacks up to guns 1.5-3x the price.

RonR and dazo like this.
  6. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I still want a PPK but just got a PPQ Q4 Match instead. PSA has them for $999 and I couldn't resist!

rd400racer likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

WTF is up with FFLs?

I've finally found the next victim of a tragic boating accident, but it's in another state.

There's a pawn shop convenient to me that advertises that they do FFLs.

The online dealer with the hen's teeth gem replied to my "contact us" query with a pdf of their FFL signup paperwork wanting me to forward it to the local pawnshop, despite the fact that I CLEARLY listed the pawnshop's email address, phone, and fax #s.

Even though it pissed me off to do the online dealers legwork for them, I went to the extremely strenuous and arduous task of FORWARDING THE GAHTDAMN PDF to the local pawnshop, Who stands to make 50 bucks for the strenuous and arduous task of filling out a couple of gahtdamn forms..... and heard nothing but crickets for a week.

I get it's the holiday season, but neither of these entities are flooring me with their customer service.

8. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Maybe the FFL in question is on this very BBS.

9. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I can't remember the exact details, but I'm pretty sure Canik's design is based on an expired Walther patent.

That seems like a pretty decent way to have half the R&D costs right away. It leads me to believe they can focus more on fine tuning the platform as opposed to a brand new ground up design that would have growing pains.

I've only had the gun a couple weeks, but I'll update if there are problems. You should definitely try one.

10. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I feel like I got the bargain of the century. The SFT Pro model is only $130 more than the base model and it comes with a threaded barrel (that's chrome), magwell, night sights, and an upgraded trigger.

I don't doubt the Rival is a nice shooter!

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Just gotta pull the trigger on a Canik. Should be able to find a Rival new for under $600.....You get 5 optics plates, (2) 18 rd mags, 3 back straps, tool kit, etc.

"CANiK SFx RIVAL: Handgun of the Year

Another success CANiK SFx RIVAL achieved this year was receiving Handgun of the Year 2022 award at the Industry Choice Awards 2022. CANiK brand pistols had won Handgun of the Year award with TP9 SFx in 2017, TP9 ELITE COMBAT in 2019 and TP9 ELITE SC in 2020."

https://www.ssusa.org/content/review-canik-sfx-rival-9-mm/

PSA...I have limited experience and can only read, copy and paste my opinion. :)

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I have an FN509 that I'm wanting to put a red dot on. I've got an RMR on the FNX but wanted to try a Holosun (less $$$) but what's the latest and greatest from them? lots of options on the website. Thinking green (I use green dots on rifles usually), but then closed emitter vs open, solar, etc. EPS Green? HE507 Comp? Basic 507C X2?

13. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

For out of the box use the canik is very good. When you take price into the equation it’s great. The SFT pro with a can is now one of the house guns.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  14. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I have an SCS on my M&P9, and a 507 on my shield. My AR has a Romeo1Pro

Either a 507K or an SCS if it’ll direct fit. My SCS has been amazing and no batteries

15. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I have to rivals. One is the grey and gold poly frame and I recently grabbed the rival s in all black. Im pretty sure I have most of the canik lineup. There are great guns.

16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

hows the shake awake work for you? i cant seem to make mine work

17. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

It works just fine on both the 407k and the 507k. The one time I thought it wasn't working, the dot was just too dim for the lighting conditions. The Sig Romeos that I have on the AR and the P322 I leave off so I'm not sure how well it works on those.

This is info from the Holosun website:
    he default sleep timer setting is 10 min, but can be adjusted
    1) Press and hold the “+” button for 10 seconds to enter time adjustment mode. There are 4 options: 10 min, 1h, 12h or the sleep mode is disabled.
    2) Press and release either “+” or “-” button to set the time. The LED will blink (1=10 min,2=1h, 3=12h, or4=disable sleep mode.
    3) Press the “+” and “-” buttons simultaneously to save the time setting and power off the sight

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  18. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

How is the auto adjust on the SCS? I have a 407C on my PDP and I’ve been eyeing the SCS mainly for the direct mount.

I changed a battery right before a match and didn’t realize it was in the auto adjust mode. The match had a relatively dark shoot house with targets outside in the sun. All day when I was outside it was fine but in the house shooting out I couldn’t see a damn thing, the dot might as well have been off. Not being able to lock it out of that mode, like I normally do on all my other Holosuns, has put it on the back burner for me but I’ve been hearing that the auto adjust is a big improvement on the SCS line.

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Find another FFL, there's like thousands of them. Around here prices average $25 for a transfer, I use a little independent shop that charges $10