1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Flight Simulator weenies here?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

They ALL come back down. Speed and angle are the tricky ones.

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I started working at EAA back in September. If you whisper you’re interested in flying around here, you’ll have no less than a dozen people offering advice. About 25% through ground school so far. Crazy how much there is to it all.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

This is what I simulate my flying in. Oh wait, it's not a simulation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gino230 and Sabre699 like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you just had your hand on the stick while someone else was landing it, it was a simulation.

5. rd400racer

I suppose. I was a passenger in the P51. I had the stick in the Marchetti 260. Still beats sitting in front of a screen.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I'm just giving you a hard time. :D

I hated static simulators too. Their only worth it my eyes was practicing instrument procedures at a lower cost, and even that was boring and barely useful. Longest 30 hours of my life.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. rd400racer

I'm what you'd call a frustrated pilot. I solo'd in a little 150 30 odd years ago and then calculated what it would cost to get the full license. I took that money and bought motorcycles instead . Wasn't long after that I started with WERA. So I certainly had no money for flying left :D. I still get the urge and fortunetly have pilot friends. They'll take me up for gas money.

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Check out Honeycomb Aeronautical. Good stuff.

10. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

[​IMG]

The winter sunsets have been pretty solid at the new place.

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Feel free to laugh. This has been in my garage forever. It used to have a set of rudder pedals and a chart plotter that would draw your course on a map, so your instructor could make fun of your holding entries. Those parts disappeared a few years ago, I can't bring myself to throw this thing out.

At one time it was valuable (and in ancient times, people were paid in salt), as you could log hours on it towards your instrument rating.

@Mike Fennell I need to move next door to you, Extra 300 is awesome.

Simulator.jpg

TurboBlew and Mike Fennell like this.
  13. Gino230

I used to think model railroaders were crazy......

IL8APEX likes this.
  14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

In 1988 my instructor was Rune Rostad (ex-AirTran, SWA Captain) and he used to sit and laugh at my holding entries in the ATC-610, or whatever the model was called

15. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

He took me up one day and we went over to his aerobatic area. I made it about 1/2 way through a competition routine before tapping out. We also did a Lomcovak. "That wasn't quite right. Let's do it again." "Um, no. That's OK".

When we got back (barf bag still stowed!) I had to sit still in the plane for several minutes. I was so screwed up, I wanted him to drive my car home.

16. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Lol. Yeah Im one of those guys not well suited to aerobatics. Spins get me dizzy. Loops n rolls I can handle.

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I flew at Sky Combat Ace in Vegas a few years back in an Extra 330. I was fine when doing the combat portion and I was on the stick, but the aerial and low-altitude part the real pilot did had me feeling the same when we landed. Took a minute or two to get my legs back and climb out, and just felt off the rest of the day. It was wild.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

dang. Did you do the in home fast IFR instruction or was that for personal use only?

single nav com...single cdi instrument approaches with marker beacons....back when men were metal and the planes were fabric....:D

Gino230 likes this.
  19. Gino230

I know Rune, I have flown with him. He still lives in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm pretty sure he took the buyout during Covid but I can't recall..... I may have seen him since then.

20. Gino230

I got this when my Instructor got hired by Continental Express and moved to Houston. I already had my ratings so we mostly just played around with it. My brother was a little behind me and he did log some time on it.

We used to mess with each other by turning up the turbulence switch during critical moments. The funny part is when I got hired at ASA and was flying the Brasilia, the navigation and instrument flying was not far off from this. We still had the enroute charts out with divert fields along our route highlighted! My instructor was at Delta by then, flying the Delta Express 737-200's which were also not RNAV equipped. FLL to NYC they would coast out and only get VOR fixes off JAX and Wilmington, NC. Man, we've come a long way.