1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Concert

Discussion in 'General' started by PMooney Jr., Dec 21, 2023.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If I had to pick just one to see again it would be Tina Turner's last North American tour. Lots of the folks I worked w on the Stones Bridges to Babylon gig were also on that Tina tour. Large format, cool set.

Tina, the band, the dancers all of it was absolutely flawless. No comparison to anything before or since.

There is a film available of the Hawaii stop. Although it's not the full tour staging it's still a good show with all the songs
    Highly highly recommend.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Tool and Primus were really good but I would have preferred them in a smaller venue.
    Conversely the first time I saw Lamb of God was in a smaller venue and I quickly realized that doesn't suit them. Saw them again in an arena some years later and it was a completely different experience - one of the best sets I've ever seen.
    Oddly enough for that first LoG show, Anthrax was with them and their set was unreal. I was actually never a huge fan of them but man they sound so good live. The cohesiveness and tightness of their sound, the mix, all of it. Made me go back and give their studio recordings another try. Nope, still not my jam. But I'd see em again live in a heartbeat.
    Bullet for My Valentine, Breaking Benjamin, and Avenged Sevenfold were a solid lineup that all sounded good. But A7X are a bit too proud of their guitarist. They had his volume cranked way higher than the rest of the band and it just sort of drowned everyone else out at times.
    Single best song was probably Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria. The set as a whole was fine but not best of material or anything. But that one song was just absolutely epic.

Best overall show though? After the Burial, Parkway Drive, and Killswitch Engage. Holy shit. All 3 played masterful, epic sets. Easily best end to end show I've been to (truthfully there was some opener who I've since forgotten that sucked balls but I just pretend that set didn't happen).

britx303 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

AC/DC - saw them with Bon Scott. Opened for Ted Nugent and kicked his ass. Of more modern shows, Tab Benoit is really good, Joe Bonamassa as well.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I saw the Oak Ridge Boys a few times as a kid in the 70s at BlueGrass festivals… the artists I saw back then is a who’s who of the country/bluegrass royalty now with most of them still playing the Grand Ol Opry. I was young but my love of the fiddle and harmonies was solidified then for sure.

CBRRRRR999 and brex like this.
  5. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Page Plant No Quarter Tour with the full orchestra.

Spang308, Razr and R1Racer99 like this.
  6. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

That was my first concert, I was like 14 and made my mom bring me and a couple friends because I loved Zeppelin so much. If I remember correctly it was the three original members and Bonham’s kid on the drums.

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Cage the Elephant is a band that I often listen to when it pops up but then forget about them…

Lightning 100 in Nashville had them on for a show that was great

Razr likes this.
  8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

The Warning put on a great show! Just straight ahead hard rock. And you can tell they really love it. Same with Larkin Poe. But, blues rock in their case.

I saw Metallica on the Black tour, along with pretty much everyone else in the world lol in the 90's. And it was glorious.

I still catch Alice Cooper every time I can. Say what you will, but they know how to put on a good, tight, show.

The Red Elvises will always hold a special place in my heart. I knew nothing about them when they opened for Nashville Pussy, and Rev Horton Heat(with a cameo from Unknown Hinson). I came to see NP, and Rev. I left with a great love for The Red Elvies. Just a great, entertaining, show and band. NP lived up to expectations. Fun! Rev was OK, but I was warned going in he's got a well polished shtick, and sticks to it. I could tell.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I spent a week w them rehearsing the first Summer Sanitarium tour in the black album days. They were top of their game then imo. Lots of great bands on that gig.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    stk0308 likes this.
  10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

SRV opening for BB King at the Opry, amazing in every way.

11. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Led Zep in '71 followed by AC/DC.Best technically superior was Supertramp.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Too many to list . Eddie Money , U2's first ever show in Chicago {Boy Tour} .
    Most memorable was Frank Zappa @ The Park West Chicago .
    I left The World of Wheels show early to make it to the concert .
    My friends were already in line , I get in line with them wearing a Nerf Viking hat that I got from the car show .
    They tell me that if I wear it , they don't want me sitting by them .Said no problem , I won't be in those seats for long .
    Once the show started I made my way to the front row .
    Just in time for Frank to sit on a stool and go into one of his guitar solos . I toss the hat on stage , he looks at me with a grin and put it on for the entire solo .
    After the concert was over I ask security if they could get the hat , which they did .
    Biggest non drug induced high I ever had .

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Do you still have the hat?

14. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

I don't remember the name of the guy that was playing drums when I saw them in Detroit. Bonham's kid did the Celebration Day shows.

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Lost in in one of my moves .
    Saw Zappa at least 6 times .
    Whenever he came to Chicago

CBRRRRR999 and ton like this.
  16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

WuTang and RATM at the Palace of Auburn Hills (old Pistons arena in the burbs).

CBRRRRR999 and Steeltoe like this.
  17. ton

ton Arf!

Pop/Rock genre only… don’t think I can do just one. So, top 5 in no particular order

Richard Thompson Electric Trio, State Room, Salt Lake City, 2019

Peter Gabriel, Secret World Tour, Denver 1994?

Tool, Red Rocks 1997

The War on Drugs, Red Rocks 2022

Metallica, Saginaw (MI) Civic Center, 1989

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I saw that in Charlotte. They made it a whopping three stops on that tour before it fell apart. Epic show.

Chino52405 likes this.
  19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Best story from me in not seeing the main performers - back in the early 80's, I really liked a group called Love Tractor. They were part of the Athens GA music scene at the time. I read in the paper that they were performing at the 688 club (located at 688 Spring Street) Saturday night. So at 9PM, after leaving my PT job (I was still in college), I went home, changed clothes, and headed downtown.

I arrived around 10:15PM. Well, let me tell you - as a non-drinker/partier, I was a "part of the scene" in The 688 as much as Mongo would fit in a meeting of anorexic people. Love Tractor starting playing at 11:15, and ended around midnight. They started blasting house music again, at about 150db. I asked a regular when the main act would start, and they said around 1:30 or so. I said F that, and left. After all, I never heard of the guy.

Who did I miss seeing? Some guy named Billy Idol.

cha0s#242 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Angel and The Godz back in 1978 was an awesome show. Punk rock and a magic show all in one.