1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merchants: Customer disputes charge as fraudulent

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Dec 19, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had a renter crash a Slingshot last summer. According to the terms of their signed agreement with me, I nailed their credit card for $2,716.

They disputed, citing "fraudulent charge". Of course, that's complete BS. They knew full well they crashed the Slingshot and admitted in several emails and texts.

I won the dispute. Assuming I get the money back (they may have closed the account or don't have enough funds), what is my recourse?

From googling around, I see that their action can be deemed as illegal.

Anything I can do to them, beyond (hopefully) getting the money back? (it was sucked out of my account when they disputed)

I'm not normally a vindictive or litigious sort of personality, but this pretty much pisses me off and they deserve a little payback.

Also, I never charged them for 11 days loss of use, which cost me a further $4,400.

Should I go after their insurance company for the loss of use?

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Consumer protection laws have swung way too far in favor of shitheads. The merchant gets hosed far too often.

For the insurance angle, I’m not sure on that. Seems like you’re responsible for that with your own insurance, you can make a claim of loss there and then let the suits go after the dude who wrecked your goods. Maybe. I don’t really know.

Another remedy, it depends on whether or not they live in your state, you could litigate. And, assuming you win, you’ll then have to collect. And if the dude doesn’t pay up, that’s an entirely different game of fun since it’s all civil law.

motion and ducnut like this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

“Negotiating a worthless instrument” or something to that effect.

Have to contact the po-po in his locality and talk to an. Investigator there.

motion, cav115 and TurboBlew like this.
  4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Call the police, that’s theft of goods or services in our area. And 2700 is enough for it to be a felony.

motion, cav115 and TurboBlew like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Call the cops as turner said.

Then hire a lawyer to sue the holy F out of them for the $2700 plus lawyer, loss of income ($4400?) and legal fees. It might be cheaper for them to pay you, plus your initial lawyer’s fees than to risk a lot more.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Dave is right.

If they're from outta state it is even better,

motion likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Useless advice for this round but maybe you should make videos when someone returns a crashed vehicle. Do a walk around with them, pretending it's for your insurance, so that they speak candidly on camera.

motion likes this.
  8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If its deemed fraudulent, like writing a check on a closed account they can be on the hook for treble the damages.

motion likes this.
  9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Your card processor should be able to tell you if you will get the money back.

motion likes this.
  10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The Subaru dealership does that when you come in for anything.

BigBird likes this.
  11. This.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its definitely straight up fraud... they were trying to weasel out of crash damage. Local cops won't know what do with this, but I think I should talk to them.

13. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Oh they'll know. At minimum it's theft by deception and the dollar amount is substantial enough to get their attention.

motion likes this.
  14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

A lot of people just take the hit and say oh well. That's why the shit eaters do it.

Teach them a lesson and hold them accountable even if you break even.

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Fraud is fraud.

Dollar amount is irrelevant.

Set standards now or it only gets worse.

motion likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

When we went to Aruba, the rental car company did this and sent us the vid as we left. Thankfully they did because there was a dent not marked on the sheet, but it was on the video, so it was good that we had that

motion likes this.
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I hate that companies have to treat all of their customers as crooks, when only a small minority of them are. Sadly, that small number has increased in the last few years.

BigBird likes this.
  18. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Motion, here's what you do. Buy a herd of 50 mice. Spend the next year training them to crawl up your butt with Popsicle sticks. After training is complete, replace the Popsicle sticks with switchblades, and ship them to your customer's address.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

jeezus!