1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which high roof van should I get?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

*promaster

2. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I’m going to go out on a limb and say you shouldn’t own a promaster based on your above mentioned theory.

3. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

For real.
    I mentioned it before, but my van has the 'crosswind assist' function. Scares the shit out of me when it engages. It applies the brakes at the slightest crosswind that I had ZERO problem just slightly steering into. I still haven't gotten used to this "feature." I'd remove it entirely if I could.

5axis and ducnut like this.
  4. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

i have nv2500 , i have over 220k miles with no major issues. tow amazing. miles per gallon are bad. but it drive like an SUV. easy to maintain. parts are really cheap. you could service it anywhere. i have 5.6 v8. the only complain is , it is too short, i could fit two bike easily but no living spaces.

ducnut likes this.
  5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Coming from a F350 CC long bed pickup to the van was interesting. I just had to learn to let it wander side to side in the breeze. Crossing the Texas panhandle or I80 in Wyoming, fighting it will wear you out. Having all my stuff secured inside and a place to camp out makes it worth the trade off.

wheeler pass camp.jpg

G2G, ducnut, IL8APEX and 1 other person like this.
  6. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Relatable. My drive home from the dealership was 'white knuckle' before getting used to everything.
    I tell you another thing, nice fresh tires make a huge difference too if you've got some significant coping going on. I just put new tires on mine, and it was night and day to the 40,000mi tires that came off.

[​IMG]

ducnut and 5axis like this.
  7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Glad you mentioned that. Just noticed my rears are looking pretty shagged at 44K. Gonna try a quick rotation but I have a feeling they are about done.

BrentA and ducnut like this.
  8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

When you get tires, pay attention to what you get. They have cargo van specific tires.

ducnut and t11ravis like this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There are expediter forums with tons of tire info. Those guys go through the same gate I do at plants, but, they’re always immigrants who can’t speak English, so I never talk to them. Tire Rack advisers might be able to help. I do know there are more commercial options that have come to market, such as Bridgestone’s Duravis lineup, catering to the expediter/high-roof market.

stickboy274 likes this.
  10. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

I’ve been really happy with my 23 Hight roof, extended Transit, hauls everything I need, comfortable for everyone, I've averaged 16-17 MPG with the 3.5 NA engine, a little more power would be nice but it does everything it needs to.

BrentA likes this.
  11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Quick question for you guys. When hauling your bikes what do you do about gas fumes. I run race gas in my motard and even though I love the smell of it, after a few hours I have had enough of it. Draining the tank doesn't really help since its a plastic tank on the bike and the gas fumes seem to have leeched there way into the plastic.

I never had this issue before on my old van but now that I have a not so stock engine in need the race gas and cannot avoid it.

12. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Without a bulkhead divider for the cab, you're gonna smell fuel, tires, oil, etc.
    It hasn't bothered me personally, yet, but others who I have taken for rides in my van definitely complain about it.

Other than the bikes outgassing smells, your fuel jugs could probably be placed into a sealed bin/container to help.
    I've also seen folks just put them on racks outside the van. (Roof, or rear door.)

G2G likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-V...VyXot0fZ2aKNpdhfC4isNiXrvPMllc2BoCmFsQAvD_BwE

G2G likes this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah I have an express with a divider and never smell anything but I don’t run race fuel which I know is far stronger than pump. I’d definitely put the gas cans on a rack on the hitch or the van.

15. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

Drain the bike's tank, gas cans on a tailgate rack (hitch cargo carrier thingy), Maxxair fan on HIGH!

-T

16. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Also, if you stop at Taco Bell enough times on the way home you can successfully mask the scent of race gas.

17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Get the electric MB.

18. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If you cover the bike or at least the tank, does that help at all?

19. G2G

G2G I feel the need

it actually does. I have done this in my garage

BrentA and stickboy274 like this.
  20. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

2016 3.5 vs. 3.7 opinions?
    Transits are now on my radar. I've been searching for months now for a Sprinter or Metris and the ones spec'd like I want are not materializing.
    Now opening up to Transits and looking to get the lowdown on 3.5 vs 3.7.