1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westby closing up

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Bummer a huge blow to the series. Hoping the old man gets healthy!

thanks for several awesome years!!

BigBird, evakat, wsmc42 and 5 others like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Does Sholtz have a ride for next season?

3. dasrider

dasrider 99 problems

Total bummer for everyone, but yeah Mr. W needs to focus on his health it sounds like. Maybe someone can swoop in and keep a version of the team running? Hopefully Scholtz can find another ride and stay in the series. Might actually be a good thing for him at the end of the day.

4. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Sad...:(

Health Issues Lead To Dissolution Of Westby Racing

Tulsa, OK – December 18, 2023 – Citing personal health issues, Tryg Westby, owner of Westby Racing, has made the difficult decision to dissolve the team, effective immediately. The announcement was made today by Westby himself.

“This is one of the toughest decisions I’ve had to make in my entire life,” Westby said. “I’ve been dealing with a lot of health issues over the past few years, and it’s been getting more and more difficult for me to get to the races. So, after a lot of careful thought, I’ve decided to conclude our long run as an AMA and MotoAmerica race team.

“I started this team with my son Dane, and after he passed, we continued to run the team as an answer to ‘WWDD?,’ which is ‘What Would Dane Do?’ Well, the answer to that was to keep racing because we had unfinished business that we started with Dane. But, now, due to my health, it’s time to close this chapter of the Westby legacy.

“I want to personally thank all the riders, crew members, staff members, sponsors, and team partners—especially Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.—who have worked with us over the years. We had a lot of success and good times together. I wish everyone well in their next endeavors, and I also want to thank MotoAmerica for allowing us to be part of their excellent road racing series.”

BigBird likes this.
  5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Damn, my favorite underdog crew to pull for these last few years. Those guys accomplished so much. Super bummed to see them go but such is life. Hopefully the reduced stress and demand allows Tryg to get healthy.

sanee, tl1098 and Senna like this.
  6. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Bummer but I figured they’d be around another year and have a real sendoff. Tryg was looking a little worst for wear when I saw him at the track and I wondered how long he’d keep doing this.

Always my favorite though, going back to when Dane was coming up through. Hope Matty and Chuck can find something else, and Tryg takes care of himself.

Thanks for the memories, Westby.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  7. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Very sad and huge loss for the series. They were a first class team.

Best of luck to all involved.

tl1098 and Senna like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Best wishes for Mr. Wesby. As with Paolo Simoncelli, I was amazed that he had the strength and motivation to continue in the sport after such a tragic loss. But then again, maybe it was an additional way to stay connected to their boys. Anyway, all of us fans benefited from the effort and commitment.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sad to see them go....hope Tryg gets better and hope Matthew can find another ride.

10. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

Hate this for Tryg, he’s a good guy.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I think Westby racing was the class act in the whole paddock. Many years ago I stopped by to talk to Mr. Westby about Dane who I had the pleasure to ride with at Colin's boot camp. He gave me several minutes of his time in the middle of a hectic day to just reminisce. I thought I was helping him but turns out he was helping me. Like I said, class of the field and I wish him the best.

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

SBU Freddy said they are working to field a bike in 24. I would assume Mathew would be the rider if it happens as Freddy worked with Westby last season

418 and Badger911GT3 like this.
  13. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I wonder what they will do about the super fans that paid,I believe $150 for pit privileges/lunch with the team next season?Maybe raffle off that sweet r1 thats a street bike they have in the pits?:) We got to have lunch with the team last season,and talk to them.My girlfriend us to see the team all the time in a grocery store in Canton,and they gave us the free hook up.Great team,and surely will be missed. I think his name is Otto? the truck driver for the team was a great guy,since we both got to talk shop about truck driving.
    Are there even any open seats left for Scholtz on a team?

KneeDragger_c69 and evakat like this.
  14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That had to be an awfully tough decision to make.
    Sad to see them go, hope Mr W isn't suffering too
    much.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I don't think Cam P is confirmed for the second attack seat yet.

ToofPic likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Makes me think back to the first time I saw Dane on track back in 2009 @ NJMP when he was riding the Gulf-inspired livery.

[​IMG]

*I know that's not him on the bike there, it was the only pic I could still find online of the livery :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    prm likes this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

pic from Colin's camp.. Dane w 50cal.jpg

evakat, Pixelator, tl1098 and 5 others like this.
  18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I still have the windscreen from that bike on a shelf at the shop after Dane threw it down the road at NJMP.

Attached Files:

BigBird, ToofPic, backbone and 6 others like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thank you Tryg.