1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you always want to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by dave3593, Dec 5, 2023.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Looks like fun, but the learning curve could be abrupt!:D

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Raced daytona in 2010 for the Team Hammer/ASRA event.

1st and last time for Daytona for me. It was one of those tjings you just wanted to experience and once was enough.

Cant really describe the high banks til you do it. …. And to be WOT on the banks and straights and your bike just zinging at redline for what seems like 3 mins, is kinda unnerving….. i felt like i was just waiting for the bike to explode, or throw a chain or something to go terribly wrong . :)

dave3593 likes this.
  3. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Glad that was never in the back of my mind when I was doing 1000s of miles there between multiple 200s,CCS endurance races and October sprints...never would accumulated all the great memories.

27 and gapman789 like this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Right on....CCS wasn't my org so it was a one off event for me and my buddies.....Wasn't gonna drive 2000 mile roundtrippers to Daytona regularly. I'm sure if I lived closer to Daytona, I would have raced it more and most likely would have changed my mind about it.

Also drove 3600 mile roundtrip to MMP ( miller motorsports park) in Utah in '09 for a WERA National endurance wknd event. Whole lotta drivin' and $$ for about 3 hrs track time.
    Needless to say, won't do that again, but don't regret it at all.

mike w likes this.
  5. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

I couldnt begin to add up my driving miles but Toronto to Daytona alone is 1400 miles one way if memory serves and I did it twice a year from '80 to '05

gapman789 likes this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Same with me, but with AHRMA in 1997. Image your first practice session at DIS, and this passes you at the International Horseshoe.

upload_2023-12-7_17-27-38.png

7. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

Only 2? ...

27 likes this.
  8. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

Always wanted to be a fighter pilot. Obviously... Never happened, but I'd settle for getting a ride in one.

9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I wanted to be a fighter since I was a tot. Made it all the way to the last eye test during flight school. 20/25 left eye, ugh. I did get to ride in the back of a cool jet for many years.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I think this is a common desire. I was thinking of AF ROTC but the Vietnam war was raging at the time and my stupid ass was too gullible to see past that.

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i got farther than that - and was supposed to finalize my papers and go to training - in canada (i am canadian), but already was living with my GF in the states with my career - and foolish me - opted not to leave and change...:(

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I almost forgot:

Learn to hover a real heli

Drive a dirt sprint car

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I always wanted to get my PPL and swore I'd do it when I quit racing, but so far have not found the time, or money. I think a good sim rig, with VR might satisfy about 60-70% of my desires to learn to fly, and at this point in my life, might be the closest I get. I just don't have that kind of disposable money. I already disposed it all in my 20's lol.

motion likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm trying to talk myself into it. I could sell one of my rental properties and buy a new Flight Design F2 and have a lot of cheap fun flying in beautiful Montana during the summer. Its something I've stewed on for 20+ years and I can't seem to understand why I don't just do it. The rental properties bring me constant grief, so trading that grief for a nice new plane sounds pretty good :)

15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You're about that age where you need to start to trading those headaches into good times. Don't put it off for some imaginary future that may or may not exist. If you have the means to make it happen now, DO IT.

HPPT and motion like this.
  16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If it flies, floats, or f*cks, you're better off renting it.

pro69ss likes this.
  17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The fun parts of flying do not exist in simulators. I’ve done my time in simulators that cost millions and it still isn’t “flying”. At least not the type of flying I would be looking for if I was wanting to do it for fun.

Also, for the price of that Flight Design you could get a nice Archer or 172 and have a more capable machine that’s easier to own. Although, I do understand the appeal of buying new.

motion likes this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm on board for that!

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The parachute system is a big draw for me. Also, the Rotax injected is super economical. 120 knots is plenty for me. Love the idea of a Cub, too, so I'm still on the fence.