1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you always want to do?

Discussion in 'General' started by dave3593, Dec 5, 2023.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

My father was at Ft Bragg NC when he got orders to go to Korea. He asked for an extra few days off before reporting to board a ship in Oakland CA to head to Korea. He used those days to ride a motorcycle from Ft Bragg to Oakland. Somewhere along the way, he feel asleep while riding, and crashed in a ditch. He suffered a broken collarbone, but the bike was OK. So he continued the ride and reported for boarding as scheduled. Fought in Korea with a broken collarbone.

BigBird, DJ Baker, Motofun352 and 4 others like this.
  2. Tanturi

Tanturi Member

I've done something like this. Slow is fun. The lighter the bike the easier it is to explore more places. Also, you can get Honda parts anywhere but other makes can be totally absent from whole countries meaning spares have to clear customs.

Attached Files:

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Now THAT's an adventure. Props to you:beer:

Tanturi likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

You would ghey boy :p

dude… you’re not good for my repressed memories…. While I’m “all for the girls” like @motion’s fav singer… there was this winter MX party for road racers 25 years ago that had way too many hot chicks and swing a ding ball action :D I’m smiling and laughing still now :crackup:

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Did you wear your helmet? :D

27 likes this.
  6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

You mean racing againt a Prius.

Auto correction, plausible denyability.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    Sabre699 likes this.
  7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite memories is of a Prius on one of my favorite race tracks…. It was my bday and the track owners let me take my toddlers, in their 5 point recaros and helmets, out for a few really fun laps… I watch the video often :)

YamahaRick and Sabre699 like this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Tonto drives a Prius? What does Scout think about this? :D

27 likes this.
  9. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

If you ever do get one, you know you only have to drive across Southwestern Blvd to find your driver...

10. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper Active Member

I did one there sometime around 2005, on an XR 100. I am 6'2" so it was brutal. It rained for the last four hours. We were so enthusiastic at first but by hour 9 the loser of rock, paper, scissors had to ride.

27 and YamahaRick like this.
  11. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Kind of a sliding scale. Once upon a time, I wanted to lick Raquel Welch stem to stern. Not so much anymore. Now days, I want a bright red GT3 RS to take through the McDonalds drive thru.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Ride Dakar.

13. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Ktm 300 2 stroke
    Ktm 350 4 stroke
    Take your pick !

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Drive around and play with dogs all day.

15. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Some folkes mentioned doing stuff on your bucket list. In 2018 I got to ride on Indy with Bill Browns HMGP. I know some other guys here have also.
    I'm hoping some day to ride around Dayton. If I don't get the opportunity to do it on a bike them maybe a lay down kart.

27 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I like the simplicity of a two stroke but I don't know what the power delivery of the 300 is like, so I started moving toward the 350 four stroke as I've been searching. I'm thinking electric start too.... I remember being dead tired trying to kickstart a trx450 quad after several hours of riding in the Baja 1000 just to get the lights working so I wouldn't get run over by a trophy truck:eek:. At least with this race there aren't any trucks to worry about, but I can see how having electric start would be handy in a tricky spot.

17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Your in luck, there's a race that actually seems to use one of the old routes. The Africa Eco Race. It actually starts in France, and ends in Dakar!

18. 418

418 Expert #59

I know all about it.

Is the entry fee $40K or some ridicouls shit like Dakar is?

Then there is the matter of riding skill...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    stk0308 likes this.
  19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Modern KTM/Husky 300's are E-start, fuel and oil injection, with with plenty of power everywhere. Similar 250 revs a bit more, as does the lighter 150. Beta builds a nice 200. Consider adding a Rekluse Auto Clutch to whatever you choose.
    The newer the bike, the fewer problems you are likely to encounter.

stk0308 likes this.
  20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member