1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ChinMounts.com GoPro Mount, Speak Up

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Nov 27, 2023.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

2. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

I have their mount on my Quantum-X and used a GoPro attachment onto their mount.

My first notice is ChinMounts aren't built to the same tolerances as the GoPro attachments. There was the ever slightest give when fully seated as it never gave you that positive feel when pressing down to latch the mount (GP) to the base plate (CHIN). That left me worried the camera might jettison out of the base plate if hitting a big enough bump.

SpeedyE and RS250Ape like this.
  3. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I recently mounted one to my Bell Race Star helmet and while the 3D printed nature of the mount makes it fit nice and snug, the included 3M double sided adhesive still wasn't very confidence inspiring to keep it secured. In the end I used Sugru moldable glue to affix it, which is MUCH more secure.

https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-I00094...8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

If this is to record track riding however, there really isn't a way to get the camera high enough to get decent views when in a full tuck........you're just going to get a screen full of dash/clipons even on the widest FOV setting. It would probably work fine for street riding, as is evident by the huge amount of motorcycle vloggers who use something similar.

5. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Pretty much most trackdays orgs (and race ones) dont allow them on the helmet. Hell some states dont allow anything mounted to a helmet.

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't mount shit to your helmets you flipping idjits. Seriously. No matter how unlikely it is to make a difference why would you want to add event the slightest extra chance to being dead or hurt severely just to get a different camera angle?

SpeedyE, DJ Baker, javyday and 6 others like this.
  8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I wish trackday/race orgs would allow them. The videos of them I do see are much more beneficial than when mounted anywhere else on the bike because the view is 1st person POV. I'd sign off for an potential for increase in risk if I wore one. Hopefully sooner rather than later cameras will be small enough that they can be retrofitted into the helmet and still provide useful data.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Beneficial? Yeah, not working for me sorry.

Shenanigans, DJ Baker and mastermind like this.
  10. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Yep and what if that mount breaks and their camera hits someone behind them and causes damage/injury there. I mean a gopro to the faceshield isn't going to be nice.

mastermind likes this.
  11. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

I’ve seen a camera compromise the chin bar of a helmet, with the associated jaw behind it also compromised. We don’t allow them for this reason.

Not really sure why anyone would think this is a good idea.

Shenanigans, DJ Baker, tl1098 and 2 others like this.
  12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

We use them while racing supermoto. No issues they work great. I like it better than my chest mount.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, no issues until you land on it wrong and fuck yourself up.

DJ Baker and Jon Wilkens like this.
  14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Biggest risk of a chin mount is having the go pro fly off and hit by another rider...but not really any different than a gopro flying off regardless of where it's put on the bike.

I don't see much of a risk difference between chin mounts and kick stands. Not doubting there hasn't been "that one" case for each, but there's a fuck ton of laps turned by track day bikes in every group across the country...can't recall any infamous story of someone getting speared by a kick stand since I've been in the sport (2012).

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a kick stand mount on my desk that caused a bike to burn to a crisp if that counts....

16. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Yep, don't doubt it for a second. I've also seen one or two (perhaps even more) kick stands at various track days for the last decade that haven't caused any bikes to burn to a crisp either.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, but why have something unnecessary that could be an issue and has proven to be an issue even if it's rarely? All in all we don't have many crashes compared to the number of miles ridden but we still require safety gear and have runoff and airfence and such.

18. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

I bought a chin mount to put my gopro on my dirt bike helmet. Put the camera on and saw how much leverage it could provide. Then I thought, why the fuck do I wanna increase the chances of breaking my neck when I do a faceplant? Took it off and it's around here somewhere. Put the camera on your bike, not on your helmet.

SpeedyE, StaccatoFan and RS250Ape like this.
  19. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

I’ve seen an HJC chin bar and associated face obliterated from an endo at summit point, no GoPro necessary. I can’t imagine any practical difference between landing on a GoPro vs the bike, or curbing, or anything else that could cause a point load to the chin bar, but thems the rules.

another option for a similar pov would be mounting a mini action camera like the insta360 go 3 to the inside of the helmet like RobM has done. Besides the little bit of visor reflection it works well. I dunno the legality but no one has ever even noticed enough to question it.

IMG_2529.jpeg IMG_2081.jpeg

SpeedyE, RS250Ape and lopitt85 like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Great, more ingenious ways to force me to write more rules.