1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Windows

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's better/cheaper to have a mason remove some of the brick veneer. Once that's done, you can easily install a window yourself, and have a superior assembly. Mason comes back for veneer install. Expensive, but so are commercially installed slide in replacements which are inferior anyway.

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Depends on if you are planning on staying there. There is what you want to live with and good enough for flipping.

Dragginass and rd400racer like this.
  3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

If the house didn't have large eaves, I probably would have gone that way. I've got 28" overhang, so the top of the window never sees moisture. Even the sill gets very little, but the previous owner didn't keep up on caulking, so they rotted out. Besides, getting a mason around here is impossible. I'm trying to build a shop next to the house, and the few things I can't (or don't want to) do, I can't get a sub to do it. Everyone is booked deep into next year. Plus, masons around here are crazy expensive. I wanted to move an entry door into the attached garage, and it would have required some brick work, and the guy quoted me $3k just to remove existing bricks and finish the opening. That was with me doing the carpentry work. I'm guessing to do what you're suggesting would be at least 15-20k additional cost.

TurboBlew and Dragginass like this.
  4. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Very true. Condition of houses. Any historic value, etc. And
    If I ever build a custom home I'm going to have 60" overhangs, ha. You bring up a huge consideration. On a 2 story house I ripped off window trim to install a flanged window. Exposure was too great for a replacement unit.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Go to your nearest Lowe's parking lot at 7:00 AM. Write the word albanil on a piece of paper and hang it in your truck window. Your masonry issues should get resolved.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Believe it or not, that's not a thing around here. Not saying there aren't migrant workers in the trades around here, but we don't really have guys standing out in front of the big box stores looking for day work. All the trades around here already have them locked down.

Photo and TurboBlew like this.
  8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

PVC and double hung, in a standard size. All of my windows have to be custom size to fit properly, plus I went with wood and aluminum, though they'd be way cheaper if they were double hung. Not sure why there's such a cost discrepancy between that and casement.

I'm actually surprised that the vinyl windows haven't gone up exponentially, as the PVC resin market is up 30% from a year ago.

Rico888 likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Mine were single hung, no reason for double on a first floor with outsides easily accessed for cleaning. Of course prices go up exponentially with custom sizing and better (?) materials.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

a decent central air system will run $3000-4000, even for a small rental house (florida, im sure a furnace and ac system is way more up north). I have 2 large 1,100 sq ft apartments in one of my buildings, and pretty sure the $3000 central hvac's have been there at least 10 years. 1926 built 3 story building, with the 2 large units on 1st floor. lucky to even get tenants to change air filters, and I supply em .. lol ! unless ya have jalousie or awning type windows (cranks that open close, and can never get em to seal).. i can't see spending the cost of new windows in a rental.. but that's me :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  11. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Picture tells it all
    Looks like those windows have been replaced already once I don’t think they’re original they might even look like they’re metal.— just match the patterns that you have —-upper sashes have grids lower do not …from what I see.. for windows you pay as you go for the grids if you want to save money put no grids in the windows like your neighbor to the left.

You just need to find a good quality contractor to install some vinyl grill between the glass (GBG) windows for you.
    Remove existing/foam fill existing weight pockets if they are there. Install new/install stops in interior and caulk/
    Install white aluminum capping at exterior. Easy peasy —it’s going to be a replacement window install ..you’re never going to get nailing flanges forget that whole idea.

good luck it’s a great time

12. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

I’m due for the same thing. 100+ year old house in New England. It’s a rental with the original windows. What’s my move?

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

First step would be to check with the local municipality to make sure you aren't required to preserve the structure as built for historical reasons.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Check with the local building commissioner, they have all kinds of codes for just about everything up there now, most is due to insulation. You probably need a permit.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Also make sure their is no lead paint... just ran into this with a 150 year old church. In order to keep the costs and containment down on restoring the building... the EPA allowed the builder to sheath right over the offending finished materials with 7/16 osb & housewrap for a cement lap siding.
    They couldnt even pressure wash it.The framers had to wear respirators. Estimated cost for lead abatement & disposal was $100,000ish. The sheath over ran about $43,000.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

When we were building our current house in 2015-2016, we priced a shit-ton of windows and I was surprised that the Marvins weren’t as much more than I thought they would be over the other bullshit windows, so we got the Marvin’s. Glad we did - they are kick-ass windows and doors.

John Branch likes this.
  17. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

ouch. I never would have considered that.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Asbestos and lead abatement really can screw the budget on that type of project if you overlook it.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Screw pella and Anderson windows!!! They can not give you a base price , they remind me of a finance dick head at a car dealership ! Well this is how much it is for the job , but we are knocking 40%off ! And you sign now today we will do it for this. Lol , I guess they get people to do it ,amazing :whoosh: