1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

The Ruger 10/22 is like the AR15 for the 22lr crowd. Pretty much the sky is the limit for what you want to do with it. Cosmetically you can radically change it to look like an AR, an M1 Carbine, wood stock, metal stock, folding stock, etc. etc. New barrels, receivers, bolts, and everything in between.

I will get a PMACA aluminum chassis for a 10/22 one of these days (or more specifically, a Ruger Charger and then SBR it) and build it up from there. They are decently accurate to hit most metal plates out to a decent distance, hunt with, or just plink away with some basic modifications or a decent stock rifle.

If you want to go with a bolt action 22lr, Savage is great bang for the buck (accurate and cheap), Ruger American for another Ruger bolt action (or 77/22 if you can find one and don't mind spending more), then for higher end (but still reasonable) are the Bergara B14R and the CZ 457's. I bought a Bergara B14r recently and really enjoying it. Put better scopes on my 77/22 and Browning Model 52 just to see how they would shoot but the B14R is fun on a bench with steel plates at 125 yards.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Night vision scope on a 556 instead of a 308……….is this wrong IYO? I said screw it today and bought a nv scope, but just recently sighted in my 308 with a brand new vortex, and it’s so dead on I don’t want to swap it out for now. So the nv I piked up I put on an iron sighted 556. All sighted in now and I’m back in my blind with it. Might have to just do up another 308……..

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Can't be wrong if it's what you want to do with your money!
    I don't have any NV yet, but keep toying with the idea.

britx303 likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What NV scope didja get?

5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Really depends on what you’re hunting. For the most part the 5.56 will get the job done on your varmints and most hogs. I run thermal on my 6.5 creedmoor and while I did lighten it up a bit a 15 is easier to carry around all night.

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’ve got thermal video of killing hogs with everything .

right now I’m using a 308 but will switch to my 6.8 or 556 when I get tired of the 16” barrel

britx303 likes this.
  7. britx303

Sightmark wraith hd 4-32x50. Sportsmans has them for 499. There’s a new sportsman’s warehouse in Fredericksburg……30ish minutes from the KG house. After having a few coyotes come out of nowhere while in my ground blind, I figured it was time to have a little more advantage……..plus it’ll be nice to see the deer before sunrise/after sunset.

StaccatoFan and brex like this.
  8. britx303

Main varmints I’m concerned about is coyotes. Speaking of lightening up……..my 308 with the vortex scope and full 20 round mags already weighs just over 10lbs. Putting the NV on is definitely going to make it a heavy pig :D Yes, I could always just put a couple rounds in for the sake of saving weight since it’s just hunting………but where’s the fun in that? No hogs here…….but if there were, the NV on the 308 would have been the immediate goal

9. britx303

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...mm-digital-night-vision-rifle-scope/p/1628791 For 500 bucks, I’m happy so far. It sighted in quick, and only shot a few more verifying rounds since it was time to go back out. Unfortunately it came with vague directions or I’m missing some out of the box. I didn’t realize when I was in the stand after sundown, I wasn’t switching from daytime to night correctly and my fat digits were unbeknownst to me, toggling to max magnification so couldn’t see squat. Got it figured now, and having fun running around looking at everything outside.

brex likes this.
  10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Started building a (maybe 2) railroad tie backstops....It's 30 yds from the back of the house. I may add 4' more of length to it and i still have to put the wing wall on.

And I may put another backstop at the end of the property which is about 75 yds from back of house. Use that for the AR and playing around for longer distances with the pistols.

I'm gonna eliminate the frame i made for the hanging gongs and hang them from the top of the walls with a 4 x 4 across the top. I will have 2 rows of targets of some sort eventually.

The braces in the pics were just temporary and I'm gonna get some 24"x 24" steel plates/sheets and hang or bolt to the ties behind my gongs and paper targets to help keep the ties from being shot to hell.

And yea, the bar and chain are so bad on my Husqvarna 345 that it was cutting automatically at a 30 degree angle. lol.

gun range.jpg gun range 1.jpg gun range 2.jpg

Clay, pjdoran and RonR like this.
  11. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

I'm planning a similar set-up, so would love some shots of the finished project. That looks great!

I'm planning to earth berm around the back and sides, but pretty much identical to your set up otherwise.

12. StaccatoFan

13. gapman789

So i added another 4' in length, so i'm close to 12' long by 5' on the left and 4' on the right. I may add another row.

I had 5 ties left so i stacked them at the back of the property line. Put a couple curb pins and some kickers on them for now.

The big 'fort' is solid as can be. I can't shake it, wiggle it, jiggle it period. I have 30"x 7/8" nail stakes driven through the bottom ties and then 12" spikes driven into each other as I stacked them. Happy with it for about 12 hrs of work. Ties were a bit on the heavy side, but using the weight as leverage can work in your favor.

The 2nd pic is from the back of the house. So that's max distance unless i go to the side of the house and into the front yard for another 40 yds.

gun range 4.jpg gun range 5.jpg gun range 6.jpg gun range 7.jpg

14. gapman789

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Ran another 3 gun comp today. Damn that shit is fun. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still in the bottom half. But man it’s fun and I learn so much running it.

16. StaccatoFan

I’m hoping to try one now that I have the Benelli M4. I think I have the equipment to give it a try.

Do the courses involve a lot of running?

17. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

You could also shoot from inside the house to make it a little more interesting. Avoiding the window frame while sending it from the kitchen counter is about as real as it gets.

The wife loves it, especially all the goo splattered about the counter now that I shoot everything silenced. :D

britx303 and StaccatoFan like this.
  18. gapman789

damn, never even thought about that. The backroom on the house is actually an addition and used more as a junk /storage room than anything.

It has a door to the outside and also an inside door to the house with a window facing the targets squarely. It's totally sealed off from the main house.

thats brilliant. I can shoot during the winter from a heated room. And I do;t have one of those 'wife' thingys you mentioned to worry about either. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  19. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Depends but most monthly matches aren’t to physical with very little running. Each club will have its own personality due to the match director and availability of land. I haven’t shot 3g in a few years. The amount of time for reset turned me off but everyone who shots should give it a try. It’s a very fun day. 2gun and defensive pistol is also a blast. But wait, precision rifle and silhouette is also fun. Fvck it’s all good burning powder. So all you on the fence and those that haven’t given it much thought Get up and Get out and compete!!

GixxerJohn011 and StaccatoFan like this.
  20. britx303

Nothing makes a house in renovation stage shake as fun as an AK being shot out of the dining room French doors while at the table, Ear-pro or not…….that shits loud!!!!:crackup: