1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Since you seem up on Vegas things from Utah… are the Clark’s still active in Vegas? 15 years ago Chris was supposed to focus on business after he stopped buying the Yosh ride… I remember the history of it being Clark County and them being the alcohol distribution Mecca… haven’t thought about them in years…

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Read a blurb today quoting Zack Brown as saying they didn't even think of the night time temps in Vegas in November when they gave it the green light. If the middle east is a desert and it's hot at night then Vegas must ne hot at night too. Seems sound.

And why the hell run it at night? Brazil, Austin, and Mexico City seem to do just fine running during day.

I predict low attendance and low tv ratings.

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I never got to know him all that well, but I really don't think he's from that Clark family that was involved in early Las Vegas and why the county has the name.
    I think his family alcohol company is still around, but it would be a different circle than I know anyone in.
    The city is a large and strange place with the mixtures of industries and people.

27 likes this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, the problem is they forgot to take into account that while Mead is there, it isn't exactly a large enough body of water to keep desert temps moderate at night and in the fall/winter.
    It can still get hot during the day, but catches a lot of people out with how cold it gets at night.
    The tracks in the middle east have a fairly decent sized body of salt water to help with that.

They just really want the spectacle of the strip lights. And using directed lights makes it easier to control viewing locations.

I won't be surprised when the stands aren't as full as Liberty wants them to be.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I wonder what Pirelli is cooking up for soft, super soft and holy-shit-soft tires that will get and keep heat.

6. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Asking 10 grand a night for a shitty room at Planet Hollywood drives down demand pretty quickly apparently.

tsflstb and brex like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My first time in Vegas was in December for the Freddie Spencer school. I showed up with a sweater to wear around town and perforated leathers for the track. I learned real quick.

8. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

9. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

And on a very green race track.Should be interesting.Some very tight corners with walls .Wondering how many front wings teams will go through.

10. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Ticket prices have fallen, up to 60%, so some desperation is evident

brex likes this.
  11. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Walls don't break wings so much as they 'knock off' entire corners of the car.

BigBird likes this.
  12. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Tires will be soft and sticky enough to qualify as a hooker.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

These city street circuits are really a gamble. If this doesn't pan out, the city will have all of those fancy F1 garages/suites just sitting around. I guess they can try to invite other racing organizations. I remember when F1 left Indy, the IndyCar teams weren't allowed to use those garages for a few years, glad the bikes showed up there for a while.

14. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the first practice Thursday night (23:30 eastern) it will be interesting.

brex and 5axis like this.
  15. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I think attendance will be good for this first race. It will be 1 giant party. Just dress for the weather.

As for TV ratings, it isn't just the US that will be watching. Should be an 8 or 9am start time in Europe, so I expect the ratings will be there.

16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

They are stuck with the three softest compounds that they currently use. I'm looking forward to see which teams can get the tires to "turn on" for this race.

17. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

The paddock building will be the new F1USA headquarters.
    It will also serve as a year around attraction, with displays F1 simulators ect.

They have already extended the contract to 2032

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

No they haven't. The county voted to allow it if they decide to, but it isn't extended.

My brother just sent me a message to look at the 10 day weather forecast.
    Yes, we're talking about weather forecasters, but the city is concerned about a possible rainstorm Thur/Fri.
    I will laugh if it happens. Vegas doesn't handle rain very well.

19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I stand corrected…they bought the land for 240 million and then spent another 240 million to build the complex! Fooking insane

20. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah you're a barrel of laughs