1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave K, I owe you an apology

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Nov 5, 2023.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

:crackup: Brilliant!

Sabre699 likes this.
  2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I didn't know that reaction was possible from a business.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2023
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think it is during earthquakes, maybe tornados and hurricanes can give that effect in gusting wind conditions.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

what are you on about, chucklenuts? :D

fuck your couch!

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I thought I was a decent stringer until I bought the head from the guy with a world championship win that was strung by his guy. I'm not stringing another stick

Also found out my HS coach was a face off coach under Tierny at Hopkins way back when. I should have listened to him more.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I obsess when I string and what my guy can do in 20 minutes (strung to the inside, triangle top string, braided shooter and a bunch of other ocd stupid shit) would take me 4 hours because I used an SI on the 8th hole instead of an interlock so I have to start over. Stupid, can’t tell the difference but. . .

my fogo heads are strung baggy messes. Follow Greg the beast stringing there. :D
    Fast in, fast out.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

@Robby-Bobby
    A few things to help you. I’m sure you know most and a lot are the same as racing.
    1) do not be the parent yelling “wheels” when your son is coming up the field. You’ll hear it from other parents, just don’t. :D
    2) don’t ask to talk to the coaches, let little dude do it.
    3) ignore the shit talkers and there will be a lot of them. A lot of the parents are living their failed youth through their kids and they are nasty. I’ve thrown down in the parking lot, don’t do it. ;-)
    4) never go negative with the little dude, the other parents and coaches.
    They go negative, reverse it. They are baiting you.

equipment: get the best fitting chest protector with ekg hard armor you can find. I like the unequal but find what fits him. Helmet: cascade xtr if he’s serious. I don’t like the xtr pro, they are coming off way too easily. Stx is about to release their new lid but cascade is currently the arai of lax helmets.
    Cup!!!’ Something like the warrior nutt hutt, he will get hit in the nuts, you want grand kids!

edit: learn who Paul Rabil is, you’ll hear that name constantly and will want to puke how often that he’ll mention that name. :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    Jed likes this.
  9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

God reminds me of Straub beer in St Mary’s, PA. Parents grew up there and over Christmas one year at grandparents my cousins all wanted to go out drinking. I had no idea and we got blasted drinking “greenies” they called them. The next morning I was a mess. As my grandad said I could shit through a keyhole. Everyone thought it was hysterical because I had no idea the beer was unpasteurized. God it was bad.

10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol I’m a super chill dad. In soccer my parents were the ones literally paying me for goals then I hear other parents just this past weekend.

when in reality I see a lot of similarities between this and soccer. Especially at this age. I picked up a lot fast but still learning.

Im wondering as they get better is the idea to let the ball do the work? Or is the idea for them to just run constantly. Lol they were constantly a big gaggle of kids running in circles swinging wildly. Very entertaining.

I just told colton to spread out so that when the ball comes out he’s actually open.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

To add to the midget d-pole from MD, there are tons of videos on the instagramernets for drill etc. More for you than the little guy. A girls private coach here who has sent a bunch of players to D1 schools has an account called powerfinesselacrosse. While she coaches girls the skills she has them work on apply to everyone.

Get yourself a decent restrung stick from sideline swap or Dicks. And yes a $300 stick plays much better than a $50.00 stick. Learn to throw, catch, pass with the guy. KEEP IT FUN!!!!

Find out what local fields have goals if he wants to go shoot or throw around. Buy some new or used balls. Our program switch to Pearls this year. Love em but they aren't the cheapest.

Lacrosse basic strategy -- think basketball. Off ball movement is as important as ball handling. The biggest issue for new players is standing still and ball watching. The field is big and players away from the ball feel they aren't in the play when they actually are. Moving around pulls your defender around and away from the ball. Standing still lets your defender focus on how the play is developing and react to the ball faster. Have the little guy focus on making triangles between the guy with the ball, the defender covering him, and himself. Kids being defended can't see the open man when they are in a straight line with the defender between them. Make a triangle with the defender and ball carrier. That creates the passing lane.

Basic skills for new kids. Keep the back hand low for ground balls. We're talking knee or below. Practice walking through and then running through getting the ground balls. Also they can kick ground balls out in front of them.

Cradle as soon as you get possession of the ball to avoid popping it in the air or 'flipping pancakes' as I call it with the little ones.

If cradling needs development then have him focus on keeping the low hand close to his belly button. Younger kids tend to keep it off to the hip which hinders the motion and leads to flat cradling instead of vertical.

Get him a Swax ball so he can carry his stick around with him inside with a ball in it and not have mom on edge with a lacrosse ball bouncing everywhere.

Let him guide his learning pace. Kids that are all in let their parents know they are all in and will bug the shit out of them to play as much as possible. Kids that are enjoying the social and athletic side of the game need to improve incrementally with focus on one thing at a time.

My philosophy on rec and JV levels is keep it fun. Make sure they leave practice in a good mood and want to come back. Make sure that at the end of the season they want to play again.

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

As long as I played and as long as I coached, this was the most difficult concept to teach kids. Then on day.. POOF. They just get it.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Jed covered balls. :D. Obvious low hanging joke aside grab a dozen or two and either a bucket or better yet a ball bag to keep them in. Pearls are nice but expensive and you don’t need them. Check out crankshooter.com and they always have some deal going on for like a dozen balls and a bag for like $60 or something. Lacrosse ball store also has deals on balls.
    Don’t buy some color or textured. Plain White lacrosse balls.
    balls age and become un useable after time (get hard and throw differently). Save the junk balls for small to medium sized dogs but not large dogs. They can swallow them and get stuck in large dogs throats.

and ‘dyne said what I was going to say about spreading out. Get open, be Johnny on the spot for a quick feed and move the ball. :up:

oh, important, DO NOT leave the stick in the car. Not even for an hour or two. Heat will warp them, cold can make them brittle. Bring it in the house after every practice, game or shoot about.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Nope still sucks, no dynamite, gunpowder or fuel involved. And in the old days wasn't there human sacrifice involved?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

RB, how’s he doing? We started Green Day’s a few months back, winter ball starts soon and I’ve been seeing small packs of little dudes out practicing. :)

jed, did some fogo shit with the old dudes Saturday night since I torqued the f outta my knee coaching 3/4s and it was fun until it wasn’t fun. Did 4 or 5 knee down and on the 5th or 6th, couldn’t get up and stayed knee down for la minute or two after. :crackup:
    Going to go f about tonight and I’m trying an OG CEO on a 40” goalie shaft and standing neutral grip. I think I’ll last 7 or 8 face offs at least. :crackup:

Jed likes this.
  17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Good. The season here is over and soccer is going.

so I live like 5 minutes from the largest Navy Federal in the world, and they just built like a multi million dollar sports complex free to use with all the sports so every other day we will drive by and whatever folks are playing, we join in as he just loves sports.

the new season is starting here in a month or so.

Ive been having him just keep practicing. I remember boring playing by myself in soccer but like they say about riding, “seat time” is important so if he’s bored I’ll send him out to go play around.

he’s still young enough that he learns fast but right now I’m letting him have fun at his own pace.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Shenanigans likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

NLL season started this weekend. If you’re a hockey fan, check it out. Hockey without the kiss boots on razor blades on ice and much higher scoring.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm still nursing my feet and elbow. Taking the winter season off. Kid did well at the President's Cup.

FOGO - eff that. Bending over and then getting up off the ground. Too damn old. I prefer to be the guy on attack who chases the goalie on clears. That guy is such a dick.

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Any position but goalie!! F*<K……DAT…… $hit!