1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Nov 5, 2023.

1. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

IIRC, that TST 507 can handle up to 22 sensors. If I wanted to, I could put a sensor on all six of my Dually tires, plus the spare, then all six of the trailer tires, plus the spare, and have 8 spots left over. It just works.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Holy cow those TST systems are pricey!

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

So are tire blow outs, especially when they do damage to the trailer when they let go.....just sayin'

CRA_Fizzer, MELK-MAN and YamahaRick like this.
  4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've got this crazy Continental TPMS I'm getting ready to install on my truck/trailer. The sensors attach to the inside of the tires. It's designed for big trucks. It can do all kinds of crazy things.

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

my tires are very very worn and i'm surprised i made it home
    i dont want to jack up the height on my trailer though. my suspension is fairly new as both sides shattered from potholes on the GW Bridge in NY on my way to NJMP a few years ago

6. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Back when I had my SeaRay 265, I rebuilt the suspension on the trailer and wanted to bump up on spring rates from 7500 to 9500.
    Had Donovan make 4 custom spring stacks and there didn't appear to be any increase in ride height. Might be worth a call just to ask a few questions

7. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

What you said, and I would still replace them every three years regardless of miles.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was going to post that RV groups aren't the best source of info given they almost all are way overloaded - then thought about it more and that sounds like racers too :crackup:

R/T Performance and ducnut like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In theory that's true, they're built differently. Yet oddly enough one our triple axle we had the LT tires out performed any of the trailer tires. Went through high end Goodyear and Michelins and wound up with the best results from Maxxis LT tires (before the 8008).

R/T Performance likes this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

different spring rate shouldn't affect ride height, until you load the trailer, in which case it may not sag as much.. same for a road race bike spring. sitting there, should be no height diff in two bikes with different spring rates . springs are near same length. just will sag diff based on load.

DBConz likes this.
  11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So, you busted the suspension, most likely because your trailer was overloaded when it hit those potholes, but you don't want to upgrade the suspension so it doesn't happen again. Do I have that right?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

these are the same people that tell us we can ever flip a motorcycle tires....... 4 or 6 ply side wall is still the same amount of plies.
    I never seen a lt tire blow a cap like trailer tires do my car trailer had regular p rated car tire tires on it when i bought it.
    Experts aren't always correct i will be closing in on 5 years for my goodyear endurance's on my work and play and last i looked they had nearly doubled in price :(

13. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

One of the very best choices presently, for a heavy duty tire that might be needed on a triple axle trailer like my Momentum, is the Sailun S637. You can get them in a ST235/80r/16 or a ST235/85R/16. I just put a set of six of the 85R version on my Toy Hauler. Lots of folks getting well over 40K miles out of them with zero issues. They did have a recall back in 2021 for a certain date range of manufacture, but that has long since been resolved. They aren't for everyone, but at 4080 lbs load capacity for the 80R series, and 4400 lbs load capacity for the 85 series, they are defintiely a long lasting stout tire.

And obviously, running a good TPMS system on trailer tires is absolutely critical. I would venture a guess that MOST people do not bother to scale their trailers and have no idea what weight they are running. The result, many times are underinflated tires for the load that they are carrying, which we all know will kill a tire faster than just about anything, because of the excessive heat generated in the under-inflated tire.

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Bridgestone Duravis R238? Seems like that used to be a recommendation for heavy trailers. I don’t have a use for them…just curious of your thoughts.

15. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I have had a Tuson tpms on my last few trailers, reaching back about 8 years and I just had a battery on a wheel sensor go bad. I called to get replacements and the new sensors are like a ping pong ball. You just toss them in the tire and go on your way. I took my tires and wheels and removed the band sensors in them and just tossed the little ball in each tire. Monitors pressure and temperature and they appear to be more accurate with a stronger signal.
    Technology amazes my simple mind

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Those may have been before my time of needing Heavy Duty tires for a trailer. Most of my trailer ownership was smaller flat trailers and then a couple different enclosed cargo trailers. In 2016, I bought a Toy Hauler/Camping trailer that was only 13,000 lbs GVWR and if I remember correctly, used a "E" range tire. Then, in early 2019, I got rid of that trailer and bought my present trailer, a Grand Design 394M Momentum. It's a Triple axle, 44' long, 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. GVWR of 20,000 lbs and an empty weight of 15,400 lbs. That one came with Westlake "G" rated tires on it. Westlake had a horrible reputation for tire blowouts, but it was mostly on their "E" range tires....mine are the "G". They turned out to be great tires and never an issue with them until they started weather cracking on the sidewalls a bit. I replaced them this past summer with the Sailuns, the S637 in the 235/85R/16 size. I've never owned Bridgestone Anything on any of my cars, trucks, or motorcycles, so I really have zero knowledge of the Duravis tire.

ducnut likes this.
  17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

no it was old hardware. i'm the 2nd owner and it was rusty from being up in Detroit. at that time the trailer was definitely not overloaded nor near capacity. hit two nasty potholes on the upper bridge and both side leaf springs shattered. managed to get to a local trailer repair shop and they did all new shackles, springs, etc. it's been solid ever since.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Overloaded, underinflated and driving faster than the tire is rated for. But still blame it on China Bombs...

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I've been using these cheap Amazons on my 6 wheel RV for 3 yrs now. No issues at all. Im sure the more expensive TPMS systems are made overseas as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Wireless-Pressure-Monitoring-Motorhome/dp/B08G19ZRW2/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2W9RT10EFPAWJ&keywords=tpms+sensor+for+rv&qid=1699525115&sprefix=tpms+sensor+for+rv,aps,90&sr=8-11&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685

Don't know if it was mentioned or not, but a Class C trailer tire is rated at 55 mph...May as well run your Toyota corollas' spare donut tire on the trailer.

Class D tires at the minimum is the lst thing I do to any new trailer I get.
    You can get 4 D tires w/rims for $400. That's the easiest and most cost effective way to upgrade your tires IMO.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i'm ready to switch from the in-wheel tpms setup to a system like this.. screw on the sensor as a valve stem cap, done.