1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Nov 5, 2023.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

what do you guys like for tires?
    i need 205/75/15 radial. C load. would buy B if that existed.

only good reviewed one i see is on eTrailer. Karrier brand.6/12

my enclosed 6x12 goes all over, for those that have met me in the pits this year.
    I did all of Atlantic and South East this year and live in New England.

So i need something that'll last for long highway trips, and can handle 3500lbs+ on my single axle trailer.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Go to Discount Tire and buy Goodyear Endurance in load range “D”. Have them spin-balanced. Best trailer tires on the market. The only trailer tire made in these United States.

R/T Performance and Shenanigans like this.
  3. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

What he said. Goodyear trailer is pretty good.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Maxxis 8008. FTW.
    /thread

CRA_Fizzer, MELK-MAN and skidooboy like this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not anymore. I had them, before Goodyear started producing the Endurance, again. Maxxis moved production to China, I think it was, and their failure rate is as you’d expect. The Discount Tire dude said they stopped stocking them at their store, because of it.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

why D load range? everything i've ever had has been C

7. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

This. I hate a Goodyear car tire but that’s a great trailer tire.

8. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

If the d range is about the same price as the c, it'll haul more weight or you can reduce the pressure from it's max pressure rating and haul the same weight as the c. The d will last longer not maxed out on its weight capabilities compared to a c maxed out. It'll run slightly cooler. May ride slightly stiffer, but you probably won't notice.
    Maybe it's only offered in d rated. Not sure.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Load range “D” is heavier construction.

Your trailer likely has a 3500lb axle under it. Load range “C” is rated at ~1800lbs per tire. The tires barely cover the axle rating. Goodyear Endurance load range “D” are rated at 2150lbs per tire. That gives an extra ~700 total pounds of capacity.

In tread plies, you’re looking at 4 plies versus 6 plies. A 6-ply tire simply is more durable, especially with our crumbling infrastructure. When you swerve to miss a pothole, many times, the trailer catches it. When you drop the trailer off the edge of the pavement or onto the crumbling shoulder, a heavier tire can better take it.

You’re looking at 50psi max versus 65psi max. Being able to inflate to 65psi means the tire will experience less sidewall flex. That provides better stability for less trailer sway and a cooler running tire for less chance of blowouts. A 65psi stem is required to run the higher pressure, which you need to mention when buying tires.

Most of us end up overloading trailers, many times during ownership. Having heavier-rated tires can better cope with that.

Simply, heavier duty trailer tires give better peace of mind.

Load range “E” is available, as well. However, they’re only available in a 225mm section width and most box trailers won’t clear them. Once the trailer is loaded, the axle flex and tire deformation will usually cause them to rub the inside sidewall.

03RumbleBee, MELK-MAN, Phl218 and 6 others like this.
  10. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Very well put.

ducnut and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

12. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Carlisle Sport Trails have been excellent in my experience.

Had them on my race trailer, put a set on one flatbed trailer then kept them for the new flatbed trailer
    I do a lot of equipment hauling between jobs and the Carlisles have been the most impressive so far. No punctures to date and if I were to guess the miles I'd say 30k..... possibly more.

I also agree with going up to Load D for the reasons stated above.

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  13. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm on several RV forums, and the Goodyear Endurance tires are not exactly the "utopia" that many make them out to be. They probably have fewer issues than some brands, but after reading of all the issues with them, I'd cross them off the list also.

Having several smaller trailers in the past, before I started with larger camping trailers, my go to was always the Maxxis tires. I've not stayed current on the smaller tires though for the last several years (2016 or so), so things may have changed since then.

14. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I have not, but I can tell you that the TST 507 TPMS is the hands down favorite amongst the RV trailer world users. I have that system on my triple axle Toy Hauler and going on 4 years without even one glitch.....It just works...Period.

iagsxr, ducnut and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  15. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

thanks guys. i messed up my alphabet on the load range. so D--> G means heavier weight

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Another vote for good year trailer tires

I run I believe a GS series on our pressure wash trailer which is massive and has 700 gallons of water on board.....I think it's around 16k lbs

ducnut likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have a 5200lb rated single axle 6x12 and run the D rated tires around 55lb of air pressure. The trailer typically weighs around 3200lb loaded for a track day with 2 bikes, genny, tools, spares and gear. The ride is a little less bouncy than when I tried 65lb both in feel when towing and stuff shifting around less in the trailer. The tires look good and wear even.

As a note, the Ds are rated at 2540lb per tire on a single axle from everything I found on the web and on the side of my tires. I am not sure where Ducnut came up with 2150.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

all i ever buy.. when racing multiple times a year all over the south east, i bought new E rated every 2 years even if some tread left.

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

unreal how inexpensive these are now.. i paid over $400 for one many years ago, but had to install actual TPMS sensors that come with it, on each tire. then if you put the spare on, you had to redo the settings on the readout. love how the new ones are just spin on valve caps.. easy to have them stolen is only issue i guess.

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK