1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance 2024. Open discussion..

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by regularguy, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

That's what I was eluding to in one of my earlier posts. What makes them successful is the experience as you said, along with having a dedicated crew that isn't dual hatting as racers as well. Every other team is dual hatting as crew guys and riders, and makes it that much more hectic. Not to take anything away from any of the riders, but damn that makes it that much easier on everyone. Crew isn't worried about gearing up and mentally prepping to ride, rider isn't stressed to wrench on the bike, and the crew has more time to hone and refine the bike with chassis adjustments.

So you throw in some top level dedicated riding talent on top of that...like seriously, who gives a shit about the gas tank at that point?

The loud generator is something that affects us all.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Depends on track, pace, and rider honestly. Most tracks, with a stock engine and a stock tank, we could mange about 40-48 minutes on a stock tank. With our big tank, 72-76 minutes average. By the time the guys came in with the big tank, they were smoked. When it was super hot, most of them came in early so the endurance tank did not help that much.

There are just so many factors that effect the outcome of an endurance race.

3. aod99

aod99 Administrator

We Were Soldiers Once, and Young.

Russell, is this you and me?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IUYHKH1jh0mX6svR139lYMlmvVV25aXo/view?usp=drive_link
    [​IMG]

Harwell?
    [​IMG]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V3nk-JNbAr6_fayInTobIDyqvUhy12zU/view?usp=drive_link

I think this is when you guys were running 1:59 minute stints on an 1100?

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I got your point.

Agreed, hence my posts about changing things/penalties.

5. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Stock tank 40-48 mins on a 600? That seems really low.

6. CleverRiver6

CleverRiver6 Well-Known Member

Just thoughts, and some feedback
    - LW class in the 2hr, scored separately. Though would need to sort out double scoring when it came to the overall.
    - Longer ULW races would be cool. I have thought about shifting some sprints to Saturday morning so you could have a longer ULW race and sprints on Sunday with the standard 4hr race.
    - Loved the idea of pushing to 6hr at Pitt, could we shift that +2hr to ULW sometime? Maybe at a cheaper track like RRR
    - I noticed a few more solo riders in ULW than other years. Any considerations for an ironbutt class or something like that for people doing the 2hr solo. I think I have seen other endurance orgs do that
    - Select rounds maybe HW/MW/LW only or ULW only to accommodate longer races without bigger costs for WERA

Overall though, love the series, love the growth, and looking forward to riding next year!

DmanSlam and William Schneider like this.
  7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Move LW to the 2 hr or an additional lw class in the 2 hr?

8. CleverRiver6

Additional class option for LW riders. Meaning they can run in either the 2 or 4.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Or going 3 hours on ULW on one or two Saturday morning endurance races...like start at 9am so they're done at noon like normal and that way each race doesn't step on each other's toes. I mean going from 4 to 6 hours is a 1/3rd time increase on the big bike race, so an hour is adding 1/3time to the ULW normally 2 hour event.

My kid did his first 2 hour endurance this year at Summit with MC9...I was on the crew...absolutely loved it.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Why?

11. CleverRiver6

Just another class option.
    Might be good for people who want to do it solo. I think it’s worth a shot, if the class doesn’t get interest kill it for 2025

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Well.. we didn’t run a stock tank for more than 2 races. One was a rain race and the other was Roebling

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why? I'm not seeing any upside to this one.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not seeing that as being enough to put them out there with the wee bikes.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That would kill anyone running the 2 hours solo. Also not sure where you're going to find me practice time... The 6 hour wasn't remotely an easy thing to do just adding one more hour to the end of the day.

16. CleverRiver6

I don't think the speed differential is that crazy if that's what your concerned about, I just see it as an easy transition from people who might be coming from the ccs team challenge series. Just my 2c though as another way to expand participation.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Between the LW and fast ULW no, between the slow ULW and LW there is a bunch of speed and experience differences that would concern me.

I do appreciate the input. I'll look at it more.

DmanSlam and CleverRiver6 like this.
  18. CleverRiver6

Isn't Friday the practice time though? You could also shift qualifying to Friday as either a dedicated session or just take the best times from practice as your qualifying time.
    When it comes to someone trying to solo a proposed 3hr, itsn't that on the rider? Certainly a big physical challenge, but we saw Blake solo the 2hr and then run a 2 rider team for the 4hr. If a rider is riding crazy bc their exhausted, wouldn't we just black flag them?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There always needs to be practice the morning of the race. Not everyone can make it for Friday and while we do run our events professionally we realize the vast majority of our competitors are not doing this professionally which means real jobs and for many working Fridays.

No, running for 3 hours solo isn't on the rider, we've gotten to the rider limits the way they are after a lot of different ideas and tries and they work. You won't always be able to tell a rider is exhausted until they've fucked up themselves or someone else - and there is no reason to take that chance. As for Blake, he had downtime between the two hour and the four hour, more than is required between stints per the rules.

20. CleverRiver6

Fair points across the board.
    Maybe force a min 2 member team for 3hr races