1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota Engine & Hybrid Engine Senior Engineer Wanted - Direct Hire

Discussion in 'Other' started by animal, Oct 25, 2023.

1. animal

animal Well-Known Member

Toyota North America in Ann Arbor, MI is looking to hire a senior engineer to work on the inline 4 cylinder turbo motor in Tacoma and on Hybrid Electric Motors systems attached to that motor and our V6 Turbo.
    This job requires in-office work a minimum 3 days a week with the other 2 days optional for remote work depending on workload and job phase.
    Basic write up is shown in the thread. Full disclosure: this job is not in my group but in my department
    If interested apply here:
    https://toyota.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/TMNA/job/Ann-Arbor-Michigan/Senior-Engineer---Powertrain-Design-and-Evaluation_10243498/apply

Reporting to the Engine Design Manager, the person in this role will support the powertrain design and evaluation department's objective to build “World Class Powertrains in North America”
    What you’ll be doing

• Using your knowledge of the Toyota Design Process and Standards, outputting typical design team deliverables such as 3D models, 2D drawings, technical reports, and instruction sheets.
    • Attending routine Design Reviews and reporting the key metrics of your design.
    • Developing countermeasures to achieve design targets such as cost, mass, durability, and warranty based on evaluation and quotation results.
    • Building relationships with key stakeholders (such as drivetrain and vehicle design, TMC engine design, purchasing, and assembly plants)
    • Project managing NA suppliers to ensure on-time delivery of quality parts in line with the requirements of each Toyota milestone
    • Process improvements, advancing Toyota’s design process capability to improve quality, early detection and early resolution, and on-time delivery of design deliverables.
    • Benchmarking similar designs to ensure our competitiveness (i.e. cost and customer expectations).
    • Training in the Toyota Way
    What you bring
    • Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering
    • Automotive design and development experience
    • Experience with CAD programs, including the application of GD&T
    • Experience with detailed design and release of prototype and production component drawings
    • Working experience with Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) and transmission manufacturing methods such as aluminum and iron castings, thermoplastics, stampings, forgings or similar
    • Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
    • Proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint
    • Working experience with conventional, hybrid, and/or electrified powertrains
    • Willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% during peak times
    Added bonus if you have
    • Master’s Degree in engineering
    • Hands-on experience with engine/powertrain assembly
    • Detailed design knowledge of ICE peripherals such as lubrication system, belt system, timing chain cover, fuel system, cooling system, intake and exhaust system
    • Experience with CREO, WBDM, and typical powertrain CAE design software (FEA, CFD, GT Power, or similar)
    • A working knowledge of DRBFM (Design Review Based on Failure Mode)
    • Experience working with outside vendors/suppliers with a focus on Quality and Supply Chain for On Time Delivery

BrentA and bncadvr like this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

What salary range?

3. animal

animal Well-Known Member

It is automotive mechanical engineering salary range based on your experience. Toyota makes sure their salaries are on the higher side of the industry average. Apply and ask our HR. It's not in my group so I don't know the particulars of the salary. Just figured I would prefer to work with WERA people, so I posted it :)

Phl218, StaccatoFan and bncadvr like this.
  4. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

I'm the wrong kind of engineer, but Toyota's hybrid system is outstanding and I've heard they are a good company to work for.

I wish they made motorcycles though...

StaccatoFan and animal like this.
  5. animal

animal Well-Known Member

What kind of engineer are you? You never know what position will open up next. Send me a message if you want privacy.
    I loved racing and the WEAR people were the most fun in my opinion. Racers and crew have a great understanding of performance, durability, and problem solving that is not common anymore. Also, I like working with motorcycle racers so I am being a little selfish here.

bncadvr likes this.
  6. itsrichierich

itsrichierich Well-Known Member

I hope someone from this forum gets to take advantage of this opportunity!

Side note, someone from Toyota NA reached out to us regarding our drain plug for mobile service. We manufacture a drain plug that allows you to drain oil without having to remove the drain plug.

Maybe I'll meet you one day if I ever get to visit.

7. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Good luck finding the hire! Sounds like a fun position.