1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch guys; A question for you.

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Oct 26, 2023.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

A few years ago my FIL left me his Rolex Explorer II (Polar). He was the original owner, I have everything it came with (box, papers, etc.). I’ve not had it appraised but I’m guessing it’s ~$9K.
    I don’t wear it for fear of it getting “banged up”/bumped/etc. He, however, wore it all the time, hence the wear marks on it.
    My ? for you is this: would you wear it occasionally or keep it on the winder, to keep it nice and not let the value go down?
    IMG_0724.jpeg IMG_0728.jpeg

Jedb likes this.
  2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

IMO, I would wear it daily unless it’s going to be around really caustic/acidic chemicals or high voltage stuff. He left it to you to use.

As far as value, you have box & papers and know the history of it. That’s worth more to a buyer that will wear it.

Wear it, and remember your Father in Law kindly

Spooner, Boman Forklift, Jed and 3 others like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It was made to be worn. He wore it. He passed it to you to be worn as well. Hopefully you have someone in mind to pass it to that will wear it too, and so on.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Send it in for a tune up and then wear it, wear it, wear it!

Wingnut likes this.
  5. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

As a motorcycle is meant to be ridden, a watch is meant to be worn. Wear it and enjoy it.

t

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Wear it. That is a nice 16570. FYI the Swiss made dial indicates it should be a model from the early 2000's. With box and papers it could get close to 9k with service and such.

get it on your home owners insurance and wear it.

sharkattack likes this.
  7. sharkattack

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'll definitely get it appraised and on the homeowner's insurance. I will wear it this weekend when we take a trip to the wineries.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Wear it! Only time not to is with a suit or formal wear or when you’re around stuff that’ll damage it.
    Remember, a sub, an explorer II and even a Daytona is a tool watch, it’s meant to be worn and used.

and for of gawd, please don’t have it polished. Nothing looks worse than a Rolex tool watch all polished up and looking pristine. Ugh.

sharkattack likes this.
  9. sharkattack

There was a guy on a knife forum I’m on they had a Sub. One of the first things he did was take a Dremel to it and laid a nice scratch across the case. Everyone was like “WTF?!” His rationale is that it’s a tool watch and better to get the first scratch out of the way and never worry about it again. I guess he had a point…. Seemed a little extreme, but to each his own, I suppose.

10. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

Wear it. It was made to be an everyday watch. Don't be afraid!

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Is it gold or platinum, no it's stainless steel

Wear it for everything but work

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

One hazard wearing it daily is everybody will think you're a baller and want you to buy lunch. :D

sharkattack likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No winder, wear it occasionally.

sharkattack likes this.
  14. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Step 1: Join Rolex Forums
    Step 2: Put watch on
    Step 3: Go cut some fire wood, trim trees, cut grass and take pics
    Step 4: Post pics on Rolex forums
    Step 5: Enjoy the madness that will ensue

I'd wear it daily. Have it serviced but not by Rolex - they charge a ton and will swap parts / polish and return looking new and without its soul.

Phl218 and sharkattack like this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, I had to stop reading that forum. There was a dude on there who kept the plastic shipping face guard on his watch while wearing it so it wouldn’t get banged up. :eek:
    There was a thread on there years ago to the effect of when do you wear your Rolex. Nick covered the results pretty damn well. :D

some great people there but a lot more nuts.

16. sharkattack

Sounds like a snooty bunch. I bet these are the same guys that spend money on bikes and cars and just look at them.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Phl218

Phl218 .

if you don't want to wear it, send it to me, I'd volunteer. just let me know when you want it back.

sharkattack likes this.
  18. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Wear it. I have a stainless sub and wore it daily for many years. The crystal is surprisingly scratch resistant (way more than a tag or movado).

But it's true that folks will think you're buying lunch. They see the watch and get "alligator arms." Help! I can't reach my wallet!

sharkattack and Phl218 like this.