1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Drag Racing Oct 20-22nd in St. Louis

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Oct 2, 2023.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

He doesn't need luck, he has madd skilz.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

4. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Well, the weather looks promising at least. Bummer on the third day, but at least you get to race. That always beats work.

I checked because it was overcast yesterday and raining today and tomorrow here in Cincinnati and we are usually a day behind St Louis here.

5. Boman Forklift

No tickets, it is on an app.

1st time trial
    -.009 red light
    9.10x

2nd TT
    -.009 red light
    9.10x

3rd TT added some delay into box
    .021 light
    9.06x

Getting ready for my 4th time trail and the wind is now coming down the track

dtalbott likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

4th
    -.005 reaction time red light
    9.123 strong head wind

5th pass
    .019 reaction time
    9.058 140.08mph

Definitely not as consistent on my lights as last time.

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Do you have to have some sort of special endorsed NHRA license for sub 9 sec runs?

Back in 2010 at IRP I ran a high 8 at a Toyota/Scion promo event on a GSXR 1000 and the track officials freaked out asking for my pro license for their records… I only had my AMA Pro Superbike one and gave them that and they looked at me like I was nuts… when I explained I wasn’t a drag racer they were even more confused…

they didn’t ask for anything for the low 9 sec runs but said any 8 sec runs were different… it was during runs up against a 700 HP drifting car for a special feature for Scion owners…

they also had me do a stand up wheelie beside the drifting car, after a rolling burnout, all the way around the 1/2 mile paved oval trac… it was a big hit and the crowd loved it although it’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve been paid to do on a motorcycle

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Yes some events require that. I had one a few years ago and let it expire. You have to do multiple passes. First just launch and go 60 feet and roll out then a few 100 feet, then a couple to the 1/8 mile and finally all the way through through 1/4 mile. I think it was 5-7 passes and they had to be all signed off.

The last few events I’ve gone to, I ask if they require a license and they haven’t.

I’m more impressed with the wheelie and smoke show. Lololol

Gamblers race last night, 24 people threw in $50.
    I’m dialed a 9.10 and the hayabusa is a 8.90 dial
    .002 reaction time for me
    .020 reaction time for her

In theory I should win.

I look back as I shift into 3rd and again into 4th and it looks like I’ve got her covered, so I roll way out of it and cross the line first. Only problem, it was the mph cone and not the finish line, so she beat me.

27 likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:D the run was on a Daytona geared bike and I only used two gears or two shifts can’t remember now… before that I was giving the car a huge light and letting off for him to “win” at the line because it was all Scion tuner dorks that wanted their team to win…

the 1/2 mile stand up was really silly… I’m no stunter but the banking made it easy as I didn’t have to turn on the rear wheel because it just tracked around like Daytona… the rolling burnout was cool ;)

I used to do a bunch of silly shit with Red Bull back when Aaron Colton was on a 50 still… like set up a race bike on top of a big jump box and do a smiley face burnout with a freestyle BMX kid backflipping over top of me with our helmets about a foot apart…

I was definitely a dancing monkey show pony for hire back then :D

10. Boman Forklift

27 likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Man not having a good day today!!
    Fell asleep on the tree for my last two time trials and the bike was breaking up all the way down the track?

I’m not even sure why, although the battery seemed a little low so I switched chargers and did find one of my electric component boxes fell off the Velcro mounting from the rear fender on that pass?

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

get’em on the runs then! you got your mistakes over with… time to shine Rob! Kick some ass!

13. Boman Forklift

First round eliminations. Weather is changing so I guess on dial in, like everyone else. Do my burnout and ride out of the water box until it hooks up. Do my dry hop to test everything and the chain master link clip came off.

No race.

So I go buy another master link. In drag racing they have something called buy backs. That’s where the first round losers pay money and get a chance to run for 1st place still.

Bike is fixed and I’m trying again!!!!!

27, ChemGuy, RRP and 2 others like this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Well lost again

-.002 red light.
    9.10 dial in
    9.096 I didn’t let off, since I saw the red light. I was happy I dialed it in that close with the changing conditions.

Another loss is disappointing, but with the multiple problems I had today, I was still somewhat happy with this pass.

pro69ss, 27 and YamahaRick like this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

After you’re home or bored traveling…

Remind me to tell you how to safety wire a clip style master link without using the clip and never ever have one come apart again…

glad you still had fun or found the positive at the end Rob… good job man.

Boman Forklift and YamahaRick like this.
  16. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

We used to silicone our master links on drag bikes . Have seen safety wire used on road race bikes , thought they just lost the clip .

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I used to silicone mine on the race bikes.

18. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Wanna see fast, watch Jeremy Teasley or Chris Moore at a XDA event. Insane times.

19. Boman Forklift

Last night I saw a guy with a street bike looking Hayabusa, but with extended swingarm, etc, run in the 6’s at over 200mph. I’m pretty certain it was turbo’d too. Lots of guys with turbos hanging off the front off the engine, down low.

That was the only 6 second pass I saw all weekend, and he had no wheelie bar. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice if it still was still street legal?

20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

The thick wire .30 I think it is fits perfectly in the clip groove… after pressing the link together you wrap the wire around the first post, spin it to the right length to fit perfectly between the posts, and wrap the other end around the other post grooves, pushing the spin wire flat against the link, and spin the outside… this makes it solid as the wire is big enough to keep the link from sliding over the posts and it’s spun tight locking it on… and a little dab of silicon ensures that even if the wire breaks it’ll be held in the grooves like a master link clip would…

I don’t remember who showed me that but I’ve never ever lost a master link… I’ve broken chains and used rivet links later on but I’d use that method and trust it like a rivet master